In case of Zombies...

1. Where do the zombies come from? How come you are not a zombie?
There is some debate about that, but for the survivor it's not that important - focus on survival.

2. Where Should you sleep?
Excellent question. Some have said a hammock slung in tall trees is a good way to go, in urban areas get yourself into a building and demolish the stairs behind you. Make sure you clear the building first. Vehicles off a false sense of security, you're just a sandwich in a deli case at that point (unless you happen to find an armored vehicle). Whatever your options, be sure you have a means of escape and, if possible, sleep in shifts and post a watch.

3. What would be the best car to use?
There is debate about this as well. Some say a big SUV is the way to go for it's offroad capability, other swear a bus, truck or armored car is the best option, some survivors go a different route entirely and opt for motorcycles to get through roads clogged with abandoned cars. Any of these vehicles use fuel, which will be in short supply and necessitate stopping frequently to scavenge. Spare parts and repairs will be next to impossible to find unless you want to spend a day taking parts out of abandoned cars. Also the motor noise will attract the zombies far and wide. I think the best option is actually a good old fashioned bicycle. It's efficient, uses no fuel, can easily outrun a zombie and, most importantly, it's quiet. Some people may opt to escape by water, in this case a sailboat is the best option because it has unlimited range and uses no fuel.

4. Do they only come out at night?
No. Zombies are active 24 hours a day. Night is the most dangerous time, however, since Zombies use all their senses equally and normal humans tend to depend on sight. We are at the disadvantage at night. Fires and flashlights will only attract them.

5. What would be the safest place to live?
The farther north you go the better you will be. In the winter the Zombies will freeze, allowing you to move around without fear of attack, this critical time is when you stockpile food, scavenge and lay in supplies for the warm summer months. You need a location that is defensible and cannot be overrun by sheer numbers. If you are in Europe, a castle with a restored gate would be ideal - you may even consider walling the gate up entirely and using draw bridges or other retractable means of egress. North America is harder and you may have to find an area that provides a natural defense. High plateaus or mountains would be good places to look. Remember, Zombies can't climb ladders, so make sure the only way to your stronghold is by removable gangplanks or ladders.

6. Should you sleep during the day or the night?
You should sleep whenever you can, as long as you don't sacrifice security and foraging. Keeping yourself rested and fit is key - remember, your body is your first weapon, all others are simply extensions of your body.

7. What weapons should you always carry with you? and how much ammo?

Good question. Again it depends on your proficiency and your party. Personally, I would carry one rifle with at least 250 rounds of ammo (if I'm staying close to my stronghold, I would take more if I was venturing farther away), a pistol with six magazines and ALWAYS carry a weapon for hand-to-hand combat. As for what that would be, it's up to you. Just be sure to avoid any replica or novelty swords or blades, they are prone to failure and made for decorative use only. Personally, I would go with a large machete.

This is similar to the design of mine:
97BM%20Cold%20Steel%20bolo%20machete.jpg

They come in various sizes and styles, the important thing is to find one that you are comfortable using that is effective against the walking dead.
coldsteel_machete_machetes_bolo_light_heavy.jpg

The thicker blade at the tip gives it incredible striking force, almost the power of a club but with a blade. Some people have even ground an edge onto garden implements while they were under siege - anything to keep you busy and help your situation.

I know what I'll be doing if the dead ever come to life: I'll move in with Dave (If he doesn't mind that is).

Or better yet, he should come to Canada ... lots of frozen areas here in winter. Lots of areas frozen year-round too. But do bring some guns, we have a bit of a shortage around these parts.

I know what I'll be doing if the dead ever come to life: I'll move in with Dave (If he doesn't mind that is).

Or better yet, he should come to Canada ... lots of frozen areas here in winter. Lots of areas frozen year-round too. But do bring some guns, we have a bit of a shortage around these parts.

What skills can you bring to the table? This is survival of the fittest and I'm not putting my neck on the line to try to protect a large group. I'm thinking a small group of fighters who can keep their heads, not waste ammo, and can think creatively. Anyone who falls behind is left behind.

What skills can you bring to the table? This is survival of the fittest and I'm not putting my neck on the line to try to protect a large group. I'm thinking a small group of fighters who can keep their heads, not waste ammo, and can think creatively. Anyone who falls behind is left behind.

Well, I'm pretty handy with an axe; my idea of walking is covering 2.5 km in 20 minutes (30 mins if uphill, moderately steep slope) and I have a bit of first-hand knowledge with home made bombs and incendiery devices (Don't ask).:D

Also, I'm not only relying on myself. I have a few friends who are contruction engineering majors. We'll move to one of the islands on the Great Lakes and build a fort there. Or maybe go as far north as Hudson's Bay and settle in the center of the old crater. Zombies should freeze around there all year round.

Shall I send you my resume?:p

Toma, You're hired!

M///Power - Zombies are reanimated corpses, they don't reproduce except by infecting the living.

OK... but I now have a question:

WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS THREAD?

If you don't believe in the impending apocalypse, you'll be the first one against the wall.

The invasion WILL happen. It's simply a matter of time. Arm yourselves. First with knowledge, then with weapons.

most of what we need to know will be on tv 24/7. way before any of them reaches you.

10mins listening to some guy talk will be all you need.

learning about it now is a complete waste of time.

that being said, let me go back to sitting around and looking at the ceiling as my lifes tics away

I don't know if I wouldn't rather perish than struggle to survive in a nightmare like that anyway.

most of what we need to know will be on tv 24/7. way before any of them reaches you.

10mins listening to some guy talk will be all you need.

learning about it now is a complete waste of time.

that being said, let me go back to sitting around and looking at the ceiling as my lifes tics away

Outbreaks will probably be initially reported as rioting, looting, or civil unrest. By the time the media starts reporting walking corpses it will be too late - if you don't have you gear together and are mentally prepared you will just be one of thousands of people fleeing the cities and trying to save the family silver.

Anyway, you don't want to leave in the first panicking exodus, there will be infected among the refugees and the zombies will give chase. Wait for the people to leave and then get away. If you go with the initial exodus then you will have people to worry about as well as zombies.

I don't know if I wouldn't rather perish than struggle to survive in a nightmare like that anyway.
That exact same thought crossed my mind when I watched Resident Evil for the first time. In a way I guess it would be a little nicer to just let death come rather than live in constant terror. Although taking out the undead like a real life first person shooter would be pretty much awesome.