In case of Zombies...

Just out of curiosity, how does a sword rank as a weapon against zombies? I need to prepare for the zombie uprising once there is an outbreak of TEH SUPARFLOOO!!!

I am no Zombia expert, but judging from what Blind_Io said, a sword is not very effective. Even if you behead it, it's still dangerous.

I am no Zombia expert, but judging from what Blind_Io said, a sword is not very effective. Even if you behead it, it's still dangerous.

It would be if you got the zombie in the brain.

Shish-kebab it.

It depends on the sword and how well you use it. There are lots of cheap replica swords out there that are as much a danger to the owner as his target.

Although the head may bite, the body is dead. Once that happens you could make a kebab out of the head at your leisure. Bladed weapons are actually very effective against zombies. They are quiet so they don't attract other zombies with noise and they never need reloading. Zombies are slow and uncoordinated, but they are persistent. Even a moderately-abled person could outrun a zombie horde with a brisk walk. As long as the human takes advantage of the single biggest advantage we have, our intellect, we can do ok. Don't play to the zombies' strength - persistence. Play a different game where you have the advantage.

My personal weapons loadout preference would be a rifle for distance and accuracy, at least one pistol and a bladed weapon. I would personally go for a machete because they are cheap and easy to find. A sword with a curved blade (designed for slashing and cutting, not stabbing as in a straight blade) would be ideal, but finding a high quality weapon is next to impossible, they are expensive and take training to effectively wield.

Check out The Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z.

Speed and heavy fire could do the trick too. So maybe a gatling gun mounted on a Landcruiser with loads of ammo?

Another way to save yourself would be a boat, resupplying at islands and such, plus a boat can carry loads of weapons, ammo and food.
Damn, i nedd to get in shape fast, THE WAR IS COMING!

All our large weapons are designed to kill people - zombies need a headshot so an ammo-eater like a vulcan cannon are worse than useless. A semiautomatic rifle with a nice big magazine is preferable - an AR-15 would be ideal. It's more accurate than an AK-47 and the ammo is lighter so you can carry more of it. You don't need the knock-down power of a 7.62mm since you are only going for headshots. The 5.56 or .223 will do just fine.

Boats are good for the initial escape but they point out in WWZ that Zombies don't need air so they could technically walk along the ocean floor or be carried by deep currents around the globe, washing up on other shores. Also, it only takes one person to go Zombie aboard a ship or boat and it becomes a floating trap waiting to drift ashore and spill them out into virgin territory.

My personal weapons loadout preference would be a rifle for distance and accuracy, at least one pistol and a bladed weapon.

How accurate is a pistol in the hands of an average marksman? What are the odds of hitting a zombie's head from (say) 20, 30 or 40 feet away?

This may have occurred to me as some policemen walked past me, and I wondered if I could *entirely hypothetically* steal his pistol and run away before his compatriots blasted a hole in me.

The FBI and other federal agencies train at 7 yards for pistol marksmanship, I practice at 15 yards. For the average marksman chances are not so good. I've spent a lot of time at the range and the "average" is pretty low, but there are some guys that can shoot a fly out from between it's wings at 15 yards. My dad, for example, could shoot for 15 minutes into a grouping no bigger than a small salad plate. Eventually he ends up picking another spot on the target because there's a big patch of daylight shining through the middle.

I would probably be pretty effective inside 10 yards if I was going to headshots only. Really, the pistol is just an extension of your arms. Your blade gives you more reach than the zombies, and your pistol gives you a bit more reach than a blade. Ideally I would use a rife all the time, but a pistol is a good hold-out option.

Also, if you get cornered and you know you are screwed it's hard to off yourself with a sword. Call me a coward, but I would rather put one in my own head than be eaten or fall on my sword.

How accurate is a pistol in the hands of an average marksman? What are the odds of hitting a zombie's head from (say) 20, 30 or 40 feet away?

This may have occurred to me as some policemen walked past me, and I wondered if I could *entirely hypothetically* steal his pistol and run away before his compatriots blasted a hole in me.

Assuming Zombies are slow moving bastards you shouldn't really have an issue hitting the brain area from 30 feet if you're an average marksman.

Assuming Zombies are slow moving bastards you shouldn't really have an issue hitting the brain area from 30 feet if you're an average marksman.

God, please don't let it be the rage virus...

If it's the Rage Virus you don't need a headshot. They are still living people, not the walking dead so aim for center mass, it should do the trick.

We had a lenghty discussion about this on #gear and we came to the conclusion that in case of a Zombie outbreak we Europeans need your help.

See our gouvernments are so busy with appeasing minorities and protecting us from ourselves that there are two factors which will make survival in most European states impossible.

#1 Guns are hard to obtain and in the hands of a select few. While this may be fine in times of peace it will be our undoing in such a scenario.

#2 The Nannystate mentality is so rooted in our Gouvernments thinking that the most likely outcome will be a Zombie protection and anti-discrimination act.

I am asking you American superheros for help here. Personally I have already settled for Blind_Io to liberate Europe in a Zombie scenario but I can't be certain if a Zombie slayer of his calibre will be available to us simple European peasants.

Anyone?

Or move to the USA. Problem solved.

Swek, since you asked so nicely - I'll put you guys at the top of the list.

The walking corpses can fuckin' have California.

I wonder how "Zombie Slayer Extraordinaire" would look under my name.

Have you seen 28 days later Quiky? We cannot be certain how the scenario will play out. For we have to be prepared for any scenario when we face the walking dead.

I'll be there with mah lawnmover!!!
braindead_z.jpg

Or move to the USA. Problem solved.
We'd rather live with the zombies.. :p

Pretent to be a zombie yourself. Just blend in with the crowd, they'll never know the difference. The zombies rarely turn on each other!

I don't think that would work. Zombies use all of their sense equally without the cognitive weighting on sight. They could smell the difference.

Actually, I bet the best thing for dealing with Horde would be to lure them into a bottle neck and then bring in this bad-boy:

ih73n5.jpg

This sucker is a giant snowblower. Too bad they didn't have one at The Battle of Yonkers in World War Z. Most our conventional weapons would be useless, but with a bit of creative thinking I bet most machinery and heavy equipment could be re-tasked to make Zombie Sushi. I bet even a combine harvester would do the job until it got clogged up with entrails.

Have you seen 28 days later Quiky? We cannot be certain how the scenario will play out. For we have to be prepared for any scenario when we face the walking dead.

The thing about 28 Days Later (and, for that matter, Day of the Triffids) is that it happens in Britain - which is an island. You can let the virus spread all it wants within the UK, they're still trapped on the island and will eventually die due to lack of food.

Hence also blowing up the bridges in I Am Legend. Sadly in the US (unless a zombie outbreak happens in Hawaii) this isn't the case. Ditto mainland Europe.

For the purposes of this post I'm ignoring 28 Weeks Later.

We had a lenghty discussion about this on #gear and we came to the conclusion that in case of a Zombie outbreak we Europeans need your help.

See our gouvernments are so busy with appeasing minorities and protecting us from ourselves that there are two factors which will make survival in most European states impossible.

#1 Guns are hard to obtain and in the hands of a select few. While this may be fine in times of peace it will be our undoing in such a scenario.

#2 The Nannystate mentality is so rooted in our Gouvernments thinking that the most likely outcome will be a Zombie protection and anti-discrimination act.

I am asking you American superheros for help here. Personally I have already settled for Blind_Io to liberate Europe in a Zombie scenario but I can't be certain if a Zombie slayer of his calibre will be available to us simple European peasants.

Anyone?

You'll find me going around on my bike carrying a shotgun with a topbox full of about 500 shells. Or maybe I would be better in the car because I can take more shells and less likely to crash as well as a crash being much less terminal. Or get my mate to drive while I hang out of the window with the shotgun, so many choices.