in decembers top gear....

otispunkmeyer

Car(s)
'03 Skoda Superb (farewell :(), '06 Honda Civic ES
james may says in his article that he was supposed to be doing the 300mph dragster thing, but he wasnt available when the vampire jet car was.

so instead they had him on a a piece to do with the performance of the bugatti veyron. so the new series possibly gonna have a proper review of the veyron?

and hopefully the thing we've all been waiting for will follow this review like it does the other cars featured on the show

yep.... could it be that they have finally been able to marry stig + track + veyron?

Source?

Where'd it say that??

decembers top gear mag, page 52, second column near the bottom

"But when the vampire became available, I wasn't. So Hammond got the job instead. This sort of thing happens all the time, and it meant that I'd be doin a piece on the performance of the Bugatti Veyron. And that wouldn't exactly be a three-car diesel group test..."

just to be clear, decembers top gear mag has a front cover with the SLR 722 on it

i so hope Stig gets to drive that thing round the track. its sure to monster the laptime board.

Last edited:
decembers top gear mag, page 52, second column near the bottom

"But when the vampire became available, I wasn't. So Hammond got the job instead. This sort of thing happens all the time, and it meant that I'd be doin a piece on the performance of the Bugatti Veyron. And that wouldn't exactly be a three-car diesel group test..."

just to be clear, decembers top gear mag has a front cover with the SLR 722 on it
Wow that's incredible, so James' has tested the Veyron. I can't believe it! Not that I'm dissapointed, but why not Jeremy. He's not in hospital and he usually tests the seriously serious stuff.

I think the world has gone mad.

Wow that's incredible, so James' has tested the Veyron. I can't believe it! Not that I'm dissapointed, but why not Jeremy. He's not in hospital and he usually tests the seriously serious stuff.

I think the world has gone mad.

bringing captain slow upto speed maybe? :D

bringing captain slow upto speed maybe? :D
Haha yeh perhaps!

He'll probably complain and eventually conclude that it would have been better if it rode on air-suspension and came with a sat-nav option :lol: We all know what his sense of direction is like!

Remember on the Yahoo Interview with James May on the MPH06 motorshow?

What?s the fastest you?ve ever driven?
I can?t actually tell you that yet but it?s certainly over 200 mph.

Wow, James May in a Veyron.. That'll be interesting :p

Hopefully that means they've send it around the track with the Stig as well.

Everyone's forgotten the whole "180-mph in a Flying Spur" deal in Dubai? 200 mph is only a stone's throw from 180, Veyron-wise.

James, actually, has tested the Veryon, and he, actually, had complained about it! His chief concern was that "it didn't feel fast", but maybe he never drove it out of a town.

i think James has more the heart of a series racer than jeremy, wether he developes his could be talents or not

i dont want this to seem rude, but im happy James is doing the Veyron test instead of Hammond, simply because James is much better at independent reviews, Richard is very very entertaining when he is with somebody else, but by himself he just doesnt seem to be anywhere near Jeremy or James, who are very very high as far as teh caliber of work they do

i think it comes down to, or atleast is largely related to the fact that James and Jeremy are better journalists, so they know how to expresse their emotions better, where hammond just somehow falls short, atleast when hes doing a review by himself, maybe the editing crew just hate him and give him blander music and camera work, i dont know haha!

anybody remember how way back when they tested that v16 Caddilac with 1000 odd horsepower they had james drive it, sometimes i think the scittish companies would rather have James track test a vehicle then Jeremy, wether that is justified i dont know, luckily their both brilliant at by themselves as TV hosts

Last edited:
I think it's just that James and Jeremy are more experienced - both in terms of age and how long they've been in car journalism.
Personally, I like Hammond's younger, fresher approach to the reviews - you can relate more to what he's saying - and they're "real" - so if he loves the car there's real enthusiasm there.
Nothing against James and Jeremy - they're both great in their own way but I sometimes think they try too hard for the clever descriptive phrase - if that makes sense.
Hammond's really grown into this role since he started Top Gear - I think he'll get better and better, providing Top Gear keeps going after the next series.

Another question:

Today I bougth the december issue of Top Gear Magazin here in Munich, but there's no DVD in it ? :thumbsdown: And the dealer says, that's normal.

Can anybody help ? Maybe a Torrent from the DVD "The races" ?

back to the story, which has nothing to do with the previous post...

when the story broke of hammond, they said he drove vampire vecause james had no time, so they sent him to drive either an f1 car or the veyron. but james has done the veyron for top gear mag already anyways...

Another question:

Today I bougth the december issue of Top Gear Magazin here in Munich, but there's no DVD in it ? :thumbsdown: And the dealer says, that's normal.

Can anybody help ? Maybe a Torrent from the DVD "The races" ?

The DVD ain't that good anyway, its just cuts from 3 of the 4 races. You can either watch them on the corresponding episodes or download the full races from- http://www.racingflix.com/

James May in the Veyron? how cool will that be, hope its on the road so he can have some fun while saying "Here comes captain slow"