In London from 4-10 to 4-13 what are must sees

jebjeb

Car(s)
03 F150 Blown motor, 05 FX35, 13 Accord
My wife and I are going on a short trip to London from 4-10 to 4-13 and looking for ideas of things to do.
Was in London back in 2012 but do to catching the flu I didn't do a lot. Red bus tour, tower bridge, and Stone Henge.

Staying in Bloomsbury. Going to be a short/fast pace trip land at 12 on Thursday leave Sunday at 10 am. So any 8 hour trips to far away castles are out. Not big drinkers or a club person.
A trip to the toy store is needed for little one back home. Other than that we are wide open.

Well, you probably saw or went to Hamleys on the Red Bus tour. It is the best kids toy store ....

" ...... in the world ...." :clarkson:

Also, there is Harrods which has a toy department too, plus every thing else.

Both are tourist attractions in their own right, probably overrated and well too expensive as well, so bring your Gold Card.

London has a bit of everything, so you'd better ask Mrs. j to compile a list of things which interest you both, so we can cut out all the useless-waste-of-time-crap suggestions.

hmmm'K? :?

Hamleys is the one I was thinking of went last time before we had kiddo and got some stuff for family,
As of now we have British museum,Shakespeare theater, and the palace on the maybe.
Forgot last time we climbed the ash tower and did the eye of London also.

Other then walking by the dealer with the Bugatti in the window no car related stuff planned.

Last edited:
The - or at least some - public museums in London are free to visit, so if your wife and you can agree on something, you could do that (Science Museum, Natural History Museum, Imperial War Museum, ...).

Hamleys is the one I was thinking of went last time before we had kiddo and got some stuff for family,
As of now we have British museum,Shakespeare theater, and the palace on the maybe.
Forgot last time we climbed the ash tower and did the eye of London also.

Other then walking by the dealer with the Bugatti in the window no car related stuff planned.

Ah OK, this may help the conversation along: Time Out London - Free Magazine

You can pick the mag up in lots of places, and the website gives the headlines for you to discuss.
(You probably have a Time Out mag for Dallas anyway, so know about it already)

The - or at least some - public museums in London are free to visit, so if your wife and you can agree on something, you could do that (Science Museum, Natural History Museum, Imperial War Museum, ...).

Ah, good point - Museums.

Your wife may like the V & A Museum (Victoria and Albert), lots of 19th century dresses, fabrics and other shit stuff like that that women like. (There is probably a Museum of Fasion as well somewhere too.)

:smile:

The Tate Modern (free) is right by Shakespeare's theatre if you're into modern art. Personally, I was getting borderline violently angry walking through it seeing the so called "art" exhibits. How in the hell is a 4'x6' sheet of plywood just painted brown art???

And +1 for Hamleys. That place rocks!

The Tate Modern (free) is right by Shakespeare's theatre if you're into modern art. Personally, I was getting borderline violently angry walking through it seeing the so called "art" exhibits. How in the hell is a 4'x6' sheet of plywood just painted brown art???[...]
I would generally agree with you, but the Tate Modern IMHO usally has quite a good modern art exhibition. They?ve actually seem to have someone there that can tell art from "art" ...

I personally liked the science Museum a lot and would recommend that ... and to go see a Musical ...

Last edited:
I would avoid Harrods unless you actually have the funds to buy anything in there and generally shop in those kind of places (go to Bond Street if you're after those kinds of shops). It's very stiff and up it's own ass. If you bring a backpack you're forced to carry it in your hand and you're not allowed to eat the things you buy over the counter inside the building. :roll:

For somewhere to eat I can really recommend Little Social. It's the sister restaurant to the fancier Pollen St Social across the alley. If you want to try something super traditional I can recommend A. Cookes Pie & Mash Shop and St. John.

Last edited:
Try to see a Premiership game of soccer - getting tickets could be a problem - I do not know who are at home but Fulham, Chelsea, Spurs, Crystal Palace my old team 'I support' (Oh South London - perhaps not) and Arsenal. London Eye, Houses of Parliament, Trafalgar Square, Covert Garden, do a Play in the West End (Cheap bucket shops best for cheap tickets if you are not fussed what you want to see) and Oxford and Regent Street - Hamleys is up there, Harrods is in Knightsbridge.

National Gallery in Trafalgar Square. Lots of decent piccies. I recommend the Lyceum pub in Shaftsbury ave (I think), they sell Sam Smiths - everything they do is nice but the old brewery bitter yum yum.

Go up to EC4 (The City) and marvel at the Chard (sp?) and the Gherkin. Get Oyster Cards (for public transport) - Black Cabs are expensive, use the Underground but beware it is bloody busy all day.

For God sake do not eat Pie and Mash it's crap (Who's the South London boy then?) East Enders seem to like it - ugh.

Last edited:
Have no issue with the tube used it last time. Not a fan of soccer but I'm sure its an experience. Headed to airport in 3 hours wife said she is up for a play. Not a big drinker but wife had some berry cider she really loved last time at a fish shop so will be on look out for that.

When I went to the Tate modern I got very angry.

One piece of 'art' was a fluorescent tube light attached to a piece of timber painted orange. Another one was a shelving unit with some fluorescent lights on it, and I'm not joking about this, the plaque next to it said it was an expression of how different cultures have different names for God.

The Modern Art museum in Glasgow had some odd crap as well. One was a framed post-it note with the words "just popped out. Back at 2:00" or similar written on it.

So far we did the British museum and Tower of London. Taking a short break then off to hamleys and a jack the ripper tour.

Lots of walking, wife wanted to see the bling, rest was bah. Today we went to camden market, walked around hyde park, walked around near hamleys. My ankles are killing me. Normally I can walk 5 miles no issue but its doing it for 3 days straight on cobble stone roads is very bad on my old ankles.

Lots of walking, wife wanted to see the bling, rest was bah. Today we went to camden market, walked around hyde park, walked around near hamleys. My ankles are killing me. Normally I can walk 5 miles no issue but its doing it for 3 days straight on cobble stone roads is very bad on my old ankles.

Oyster card? Jump on buses & Tube, save on walkies!

Bond Street is diamonds & bling, Burlington Arcade just nearby more bling & fancy stuff.

I did the Tower of London many years ago - the bit with the bloody Gate and the ravens were OK but that aside I agree, OK for English history buffs but apart from that a yawn fest.

Old?

Really?