In search of a 4x4

Yeah, its a M-37. But I think I've managed to talk myself out of it. While it would be awesome to have, something cheaper, faster, better on fuel and that I wouldn't be afraid to beat on a bit makes a lot more sense.

Yeah, its a M-37. But I think I've managed to talk myself out of it. While it would be awesome to have, something cheaper, faster, better on fuel and that I wouldn't be afraid to beat on a bit makes a lot more sense.

Why would you be afraid to beat on an M37? thats what they are built for.

Any way I've always had pretty good luck with Jeeps(owned 3 YJs 2 XJs and a ZJ), but it seems thats just me:lol:
What ever you end up buying, if you plan on modding it I suggest you check out Pirate4x4.com, bring some thick skin if you move out of the newbie section though:lol:

Last edited:
Well, I've decided to tempt fate and I'm trying to set up a viewing of the M-37.

And as far as modding goes on anything, some bigger tires and a small lift is the most I'd do other than the obligatory bush bar to keep deer out of the grill.

You will not be disappointed.

:mrgreen:

Take some pictures at least!

I went and looked at a 1985 Ramcharger today locally and its going to be had to beat even if it is a bit tired.

Still trying to get a viewing of the M-37 but after reading of the approximate 6mpg mileage my interest is waning.

I'll be talking to a local garage tomorrow to see if a Niva they have there is acually for sale or if its just being stored for a cumstomer like last time I asked about one.

It may get only 6mpg, but most of that is because of the gearing (which you can change) - it will probably be able to haul/tow/pull/drag about four times anything else.

I've considered that, a change in gearing would definatly be in the books. And as far as towing/hauling goes, I don't need to carry or pull huge amounts of weight. Just firewood and random gear.

What I was getting at was the whomping great amounts of torque, which is what you want for low-speed crawling.

I'm not planning on going rock crawling or mud bogging, as long as I can make it through cross-ditchs and the occasional stream or decommisioned piece of road I'm happy. I'm not the person that need a foot of lift and 44" tires to drive down a muddy road. The M-37 caught my eye purely because its a interesting bit of 1950 machinery.

Damnit! Buy the fucker so I can start living living vicariously through you!

Want to borrow a bat or a hammer?

WOAH!!! I've been in oregon battering my own truck, but from the sounds of things you're starting to get serious about this.

Might I sugest a large bat for the same reason that Blind does. Buy the M37... you know you want to. Besides, it's not as if it's a daily.

(on a side note) Might a sugest a CJ5... I was super impressed with mine this past week. It out drives my capabilities as an off road driver. My crappy driving got it stuck, and it's incredible capabilities got it unstuck. (with soem calm cool headed thinking on my part)

So I went and looked at the M-37. As awesome as it would be to have one, its a no. It at the top of my price range without having to put new gearing in so that its actually somewhat useable on modern roadways. Plus it needs paint as it currently in primer. So its a case of eyes bigger than my wallet.

I did get a lead on a Niva though. I drove 350km+ round trip to take a look at it. I get there and its stuffed in the back corner of the yard. Windows down, grass up to the body and no battery or starter. It was a little rustier than I would have liked but it could be dealt with. If I saw it when I was living at my old place it would be on a flatbed on its way up island, but its a little bit too big of a project for me right now. Seeing as the constant rain will be starting soon, a cramped, uncovered driveway with lots of neighbors doesn't work too well.

I have made up my mind though. My next vehicle will be a Niva.

Good to hear.

Niva's are great. Every body panel on them is fully repaceable via 3 or 4 scews. Sure they rust, but at least it's easy to fix.

This site had a wealth of knowledge about Niva's if you are interested.

Yeah, I've got a wanted thread on there right now. As well as postings on Craigslist and usedvictoria.

I've got one possible lead right now that sounds very promising. I've wanted one for years and now that I live so close to a parts source I've got no excuse not to own one.