In which Episode is the Pontiac Firebird TRANS AM WS6?

Urban Sombrero said:
Once again I'd like to point out that I'm not like those morons on Streetfire. I didn't mean to sound like I thought they knew one bit about cars. :oops:

ok good, glad we cleared that up.

To see huge improvements on the F-body just weld in some sub frame connectors and voila, a whole different beast is born. And guess what IT CAN TURN ;). I know the ins and outs of the F-body cars. First thing my Camaro or Firehawk will get is a new rear end. That's where GM made the biggest mistake. The rear end in the 4th gens is weak.

My opinion: 4.1 Bird sucks and 4.2 looks great. :shock:
BTW: Didn't expect that this thread earns so much attention! :shock: :shock:
Thanks!

^ Every time somebody mentions American cars on the Internet, people get shot.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Pontiac! I drive one .... :mrgreen:

RapedApe said:

Son of a Bitch...:lol: You've got a goat. We don't even get that car up here thanks to GM.

Mischief007 said:
RapedApe said:

Son of a Bitch...:lol: You've got a goat. We don't even get that car up here thanks to GM.

Wha?!? :shock: :eek: :( :cry:

That totally blows!

jayhawk said:
Mischief007 said:
RapedApe said:

Wha?!? :shock: :eek: :( :cry:

That totally blows!

I know. Lots of Candians were pissed when the GTO made it to the USA but somehow we were shafted by GM. GM would have sold a lot more then they did. I would have bought one.

zenkidori said:
Can you import one? Or register it just across the border?

You can but the Canadian government will make you pay for modifications to the car to make it street legal. Plus you have to check whether or not it is on their approved list of cars that can be imported. Too much paperwork and hassle.

Another Pontiac Trans Am owner here.

I've never understood why US cars generate so much hatred on car forums.

Firstly folks argue that US cars get crappy gas milage but when you look at the figures and take into account a US gallon being 20% smaller than an Imperial gallon they're about the same.

Then they argue that they're not as clean as Euro/Jap cars but when you look they're usually cleaner and the current emission laws in the US are the same as the Euro 5 laws which isn't yet implemented.

Then they argue that they can't handle, but if you look at US performance cars the figures prove they do, that Marcos they had on TG the other week was 2 seconds slower than the Corvette that had the same engine!

Then we hear they drop to bits but every US car meet I go to has plenty of cars going back to the 30's, my TA is nearly 20 years old and doesn't smoke and there's no rust either.

So they knock the interior, like they're any different from any other car, sure they're not as nice as an Aston but they don't cost Aston money.

I think it's just jealousy; because the gas price is a third of what ours is they can afford to drive bigger cars, their cars cost half as much as ours so whilst we're stuck in a Ford Focus they're in a Mustang.

Flame away.

Matthew

Hell, the goat gets damn near 30mph to the gallon on the higway!

Keep in mind the Marcos is a British chasis, you cant really attribute its handling characteristics and suspension engineering to American engineers.

RapedApe said:
Hell, the goat gets damn near 30mph to the gallon on the higway!

Keep in mind the Marcos is a British chasis, you cant really attribute its handling characteristics and suspension engineering to American engineers.
The marcos that they tested was kind of a failure. it weighs so little, has so much power, and yet cant handle on a track. and for the price, you could get the significantly quicker Sagaris, or the quicker 'Vette.
However, the Marcos is the most comfortable out of the three and the easiest to drive/live with. paying that much for a sports car that is along the lines of the Z4 is a waste IMO.

Mischief007 said:
zenkidori said:
Can you import one? Or register it just across the border?

You can but the Canadian government will make you pay for modifications to the car to make it street legal. Plus you have to check whether or not it is on their approved list of cars that can be imported. Too much paperwork and hassle.

To clarify, the Canadian government will require you to modify it to Canadian spec (which is most often adding Daytime Running Lights), if and only if it meets one or both of the 2 following conditions:

1) It is on the "approved list" for importing from the States, which can be found here:
http://www.riv.ca/english/US_vehicle_admissibility.pdf

2) It is 15 years old or older, to the month of manufacture.

Since the GTO is not 15 years old (obviously), we need to check the Admissable List.

Since the Admissable List does not state the GTO cannot be imported, you can import one provided you install DRL's. There's a good thread on the subject, if anyone's interested:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107279

^ now that is tempting... :cry: :lol:

I read that thread and it seems if you plan everything then it should go nice and smoothly.

MasterEvilAce said:
eurotrash said:
Who cares if a car has a V8 if it has the interior out of a 95 pontiac sunfire, those cars are a monument to how clueless GM is. Gawdy and brash on the outside and soviet and grey on the inside.

I'm not sure if you just have a thing against color codes, or if it's something deeper than that. It's not that they are clueless, as far as design, they're not really doing much wrong. I really don't think Civics, Corollas, and Integras look all that good, interior or exterior. They're nothing revolutionary, they're just... ordinary. Yet, they sell very very well.

Why is that? It's because American cars are unfairly bashed left and right, by other countries AND by our own. If Toyota has a recall because they explode, our media is like, "Toyota has a small problem which they are fixing." If GM, Ford, or Chrysler has a seat-belt recall, it turns into a class action lawsuit.

The desire to own American isn't there as much as it used to be. Cars sell more on reputation than on anything else, and with the crap that American car manufacturers take, it's no wonder.

Yeah, I do think some American cars are ugly. What the hell were they thinking with the PONTIAC AZTEK? Some cars stand out in my mind as beauitful, however the majority of them I find as ordinary and "every other car" as any average import.

If you want to get on somebody's case about styling.. talk to BMW or Porsche. Man, I think they are fine cars. I don't necessarily like all of the technology advancements BMW shoves into their cars, but damn, why does every car have to look almost exactly the same? It's ok to have a few styling cues for your brand, but every damn Porsche looks just like every other Porsche. Again, looks beautiful, but ridiculous as far as styling advancements go.

Was away for a while, I agree and disagree with you. I am also particularily unimpressed with corollas and civics, at least the North American ones. But a mid 90s corolla can be bought for next to nothing and is a FWD sub compact economy car. I also believe that Azteks were possibly the ugliest cars ever made. And I also think that BMWs of late have been turned into soulless uninspired boxes, when I first saw the new 5 series I thought it was the new Grand Prix. But there is good reason for all of this, they were designed by an American. I see that you have a Camaro and I'm glad you like it, but I find its grey dashboard, bucket seats, and dashboard that creeks and cracks everytime you change gear even cheaper and sadder than the interiors of comperable model year sub compact Japanese cars.

I'm not saying this to be a Curmudgeon, I would just like to dissuade any prospective buyers from purchasing one, which if I remember correctly is what this thread was initially about.

I'd like you to clarify.. Grey dashboard? I think if you look around, most cars are like this. I can't see what you mean.. http://chevrolet.jbcarpages.com/Cor...5 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible Interior.jpg
What's wrong with that?
And in another color
http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-2005/2005-Chevrolet-Corvette-C6-Convertible-Interior-1280x960.jpg

The bucket seats?? Again, clarify! This is purely not an American thing. The only time I see bucket seats is in the rears, when there's not a lot of headroom, so they use bucket seats so you sit a bit lower, thus more room. Again, though.. this is entirely not only an American thing.

The dashboard thing is slightly understandable. I think it's an older argument that hasn't died, yet. Newer GM cars don't seem to have this. I havn't experienced this. The only car that I've driven that creeks, is an older 1987 Camaro that I used to drive. It rattled like hell. However, it also had 140,000 miles on it, and was beat to hell. That's about 18 years old. Wear and tear raped the car, much like it would any other. I've seen American cars this age that have no rattles, too. So, yes, given that I have driven an American car that rattles, I will give you that. However, I do still think it's not true with newer cars. Never experienced this mythical rattle that everyone outside of the US complains about.

K they're not buckets in the truest sense, I meant that the headrests were not a seperate piece but the seat was a sort of uniform piece or at least my friends 90s Z28 was like that. I have a few photos which are symptomatic of the problem I was talking about.

Interior.jpg

94camaro898interior.jpg

Camaro-Pewter-4.jpg

But you're right that there is a certain level of anutomotive anti Americanism here and I'm done busting your chops about your car. BTW What kind of Camaro is yours it looks like a 2001 was that the final year of production? Do those have a vette engine?

You know what kills me? (slightly offtopic)...

The 4.0 liter engine in my Ford Ranger develops 160HP at the flywheel. How pathetic is that? 160hp out of FOUR liters and SIX cylinders. What a waste of space! It's like they were actually TRYING to make it develop less HP.