Indian Food

jack_christie

Forum Addict
ugh, so much to read! :D i promise i'll do it, just not now...

back in oman, i had the best butter chicken ever for a ridiculously low amount of money. ohh yes, that left me sweating for half an hour after i was finished.... i need to find a recipe to do that to myself back here :drool:

ugh, so much to read! :D i promise i'll do it, just not now...

back in oman, i had the best butter chicken ever for a ridiculously low amount of money. ohh yes, that left me sweating for half an hour after i was finished.... i need to find a recipe to do that to myself back here :drool:

Just skip to that last link that has the recipes

I like...
Lamb or chicken saag, a lot.
Samosas!
I grew up calling chevda "Bombay Mix" because; that's what it's called in the UK.

I like curry (who doesn't)?

Chana masla (chick peas in like 'curry sauce') also a favourite of mine.

Rice, gotta love rice.

I don't like...
This thing I had with pineapple in it (forget what that was called now)
and kashmir... too much banana for my pallet.

Lentils rock.

Last edited:
I may have bought too many awesomely delicious Indian Alphonso mangos in one go. I realise that it's sacrilege to do anything but eat them raw and pure, however I'm wondering if anyone has a recipe to share?

First attempt to cook with the fruits:

Hmmm... (...) risotto with a sweet touch... :think:
Dice the flesh from two Alphonso mangos. Glaze two chopped shallots in olive oil, add 200g of risotto rice, roast. Start adding 800ml of chicken broth (I just buy it in jars), two ladles at a time. Add ten or so bits of mango early on. Cook while stirring non-stop for 30 minutes. Add a ladle of white wine (I used Chardonnay) and some salt and pepper. Cook and stir until rice is done. Add rest of mangos, season to taste with salt, pepper and lemon or lime juice. Garnish with young basil leaves, serve and have some of the wine you used for cooking.

I didn't take a photo because that's completely out of habit for me, but imagine a slightly orange risotto with bits of orange mango in it and green basil leaves on top. The taste was the desired mix of sweet and savoury and cubing the mangos means that you still get to enjoy little bits of pure, undiluted mango goodness. Be careful with the lemon/lime juice, one tablespoon per serving is enough.

First attempt to cook with the fruits:

Dice the flesh from two Alphonso mangos. Glaze two chopped shallots in olive oil, add 200g of risotto rice, roast. Start adding 800ml of chicken broth (I just buy it in jars), two ladles at a time. Add ten or so bits of mango early on. Cook while stirring non-stop for 30 minutes. Add a ladle of white wine (I used Chardonnay) and some salt and pepper. Cook and stir until rice is done. Add rest of mangos, season to taste with salt, pepper and lemon or lime juice. Garnish with young basil leaves, serve and have some of the wine you used for cooking.

I didn't take a photo because that's completely out of habit for me, but imagine a slightly orange risotto with bits of orange mango in it and green basil leaves on top. The taste was the desired mix of sweet and savoury and cubing the mangos means that you still get to enjoy little bits of pure, undiluted mango goodness. Be careful with the lemon/lime juice, one tablespoon per serving is enough.

Sure, you could make a nice rice pudding that way but I would never have mango in a risotto. That's just wrong. :|

Sure, you could make a nice rice pudding that way but I would never have mango in a risotto. That's just wrong. :|
It certainly didn't taste wrong. However, I can see how people from a certain country might complain that a recipe isn't a proper recipe unless it's been handed down to someone's nonna by her nonna who had in turn got it from hers, all in secrecy and always unchanged; unless of course one of the nonne involved decided that it needed changing, in which case the change was obviously essential.

By the way, today's mango lassi was a very nice dessert. ;) I made it thick and creamy so it'd be halfway between a mousse and a drink.