Indonesians Raise Statue to Obama the Boy

I don't dislike him, and I do think he'll achieve shit.

But so far, he's got a long way to go.

There are very simple reasons why everyone loves Obama.

1. He's intelligent.
2. He can speak English properly.
3. He isn't George W Bush.
4. Or Dick Cheney.
5. Or Sarah Palin
6. Or a Republican.
7. He isn't a walking, talking embodiment of all that is fuckwitted America in general. (Which is slightly different to point 6. But not much.)
8. He clearly is aware of the way that America has trashed its reputation abroad and is trying to mend bridges.
9. Hell, he is aware there even is an abroad.
10. He is aware that "science" is better than "going with your gut".

Yes, the almost raptuorous welcomes are a little cringe worthy but trust me, put that level of emotion in a mirror and you begin to get a small idea of the contempt in which his predecessor was held. So the very fact that Obama is President and GWB is not is something I wake up happy with every single day.

GWB approaches levels of contempt reserved for Thatcher. Hell, I'd put money on people over here given a choice between erasing what Blair did and erasing what Bush did... would probably choose to save Blair. And we're supposed to be on the US' side. That is how bad it is.

There we go.

There are very simple reasons why ignorant people love Obama.

1. He's perceived as intelligent.
2. He can speak English properly when using a teleprompter
3. He isn't George W Bush. :rolleyes:
4. Or Dick Cheney. :rolleyes:
5. Or Sarah Palin :rolleyes:
6. Or a Republican. :rolleyes:
7. He isn't a walking, talking embodiment of all that is fuckwitted America in general. (Which is slightly different to point 6. But not much.).....:rolleyes:
8. He clearly is aware of the way that America has trashed its reputation abroad and has not tried to mend bridges or realized that the bridges do not need mending.
9. Hell, he is aware there even is an abroad. :rolleyes:
10. He is aware that "science" is better than "going with your gut". :rolleyes:

^^

Obama talks the talk very well but he so far hasn't walked the walked in any real and tangible way, to be using an old cliche.

True, he's very articulate and an able speaker. He comes across much friendlier and much less of an ass than George W. Bush, but really, what's changed in the world since he took over? Gitmo is still open despite Obama's plans; Iran is becoming more and more hostile even though he has tried to play nice with them; additional troops are headed for Afghanistan and even though this might be helpful it's exactly what GWB would have done in all likelihood; Iraq, well, seems like it's still chaos over there.

Maybe domestically he's achieved some stuff, but I haven't been following that closely enough and it seems like most Americans are either totally unhappy with Obama's domestic direction or at least they are a bit uncomfortable with the massive spending going on under his government.

I'm sure I'd rather have a beer with Obama rather than a near-beer with GWB, but they're all the same. Obama personally may or may not believe all the things he's promising to achieve, but I have my doubts. Nothing ever changes... when has anyone, a politician no less, been able to bring about so much change single-handedly? The only thing that actually changes anything in this world seems to be the slow passage of time.

I won't dismiss all the republicans as morons, but I will dismiss Sara Palin as an idiot, and given McCain's age and health, I'd rather have Ted Kennedy (who's DEAD) as the President of the United States.

Heck, I'd take Cleetus, that yocal without teeth in the Simpsons before I'd consider let Sara Palin run a refugee camp in the Sudan.

:roll:

Your :roll: eyeballs :roll: must :roll: hurt :roll: from :roll: all :roll: that :roll: rollin'. :roll:

Their exercised. I hear Jetsetter can lift a truck with them!

Anyhow, I suspect Indonesia wants something from the US so they flatter the president. Look at Georgia, they have/had giant posters of George W. Bush everywhere.

So Indonesia like kids, Georgia just want to further the case of the mentally retarded?

So Indonesia like kids, Georgia just want to further the case of the mentally retarded?

[YOUTUBE]49wOzZdWWYM[/YOUTUBE]

^^

Obama talks the talk very well but he so far hasn't walked the walked in any real and tangible way, to be using an old cliche.

The man has got four years, give him four years. It takes a long time to build a house, and only seconds to destroy it. And the previous administration did a hell of a lot of damage.

I suspect that Iraq, Gitmo and Afghanistan are even bigger screwups than originally envisaged. If everybody were to fly out of Baghdad tomorrow, what would the consequences be? Not pretty.

Plus you have a very loud minority screaming "you lie!" at you and are more interested in passing laws about college football than actually solving the problems. Look at the effort that went into getting healthcare passed - I think they need a rest before going through that again with stuff like Gitmo.

I'm not as cynical about politicians - they aren't all the same. However, the process where it is like sport, where you follow your "team" through thick and thin is astonishingly damaging to the political process. People should realise that they can change their vote - it isn't football with "us" and "them. It is democracy.

The man has got four years, give him four years.

One of those four is already gone, and the international stage is just as it was when he took over.

Plus, I said 'so far' meaning I think there's some chance he could deliver on some promises, but I'm highly doubtful.

And this thread isn't even about Obama, but how stupid and foolish people can be in general. Why is everyone so quick to believe everything good about Obama? Are we just so starved for a good, honest politician that we're willing to give Obama the benefit of the doubt (and a Nobel prize to boot) before he's even done a single damn thing worthy of international recognition?

Maybe he's the second coming of Jesus Christ, maybe he's a great idealist or maybe he just ran a successful campaign by making some bold promises on certain hot-button issues. Only time will tell us which it is, so I guess there isn't much point arguing about it now. One thing's for sure - that statue being erected by those people at this point in time is just plain creepy.

One of those four is already gone, and the international stage is just as it was when he took over.

Much as everyone seems to hate to admit, as far as the international stage is concerned, the Bush folks had a decent setup going, though it was a matter of waay too little too late but there's no way Obama can deviate from what they had set up nor any real reason he would want to. The last president to make the mistake of completely changing the game plan like that was...George W Bush

I'm not as cynical about politicians - they aren't all the same. However, the process where it is like sport, where you follow your "team" through thick and thin is astonishingly damaging to the political process. People should realise that they can change their vote - it isn't football with "us" and "them. It is democracy.
As long as it's the democrat team right? It's great to have an opinion, that is totally your right, but don't try to call damn near half of America half-wits because they also have an opinion. You obviously have your team, perhaps if you stepped down off your soap box for a little bit you'd find that we are JUST LIKE YOU.

Which, lets be honest, is already an improvement over where it was going right before he started.

You obviously have your team, perhaps if you stepped down off your soap box for a little bit you'd find that we are JUST LIKE YOU.

No you're not, because you guys are dumb.

I hope you know I'm just joking!

As long as it's the democrat team right? It's great to have an opinion, that is totally your right, but don't try to call damn near half of America half-wits because they also have an opinion. You obviously have your team, perhaps if you stepped down off your soap box for a little bit you'd find that we are JUST LIKE YOU.

Except for one tiny, tiny factor. I can't vote in a US election. I don't have a side to pick.

I have voted in every General Election I have been able to. I have voted for two different parties (Labour and Liberal Democrat) in those elections.

I support the Democrat position in the US for a very, very simple reason. The Republican Party is either populated by nutjobs, scary people, or scary nutjobs. Sarah Palin? Seriously? Does anyone really think the world is better off if she was in the Oval Office? I mean, three of the candidates for the Republican nomination don't even believe in evolution and these are the people who were trying to be in charge.

FWIW, I liked John McCain. Well, the 2000 version. The 2008 version clearly had to try and appeal to his party.

The Republican Party is either populated by nutjobs, scary people, or scary nutjobs. Sarah Palin? Seriously? Does anyone really think the world is better off if she was in the Oval Office? I mean, three of the candidates for the Republican nomination don't even believe in evolution and these are the people who were trying to be in charge.

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain - and most fools do.

I won't dismiss all the republicans as morons, but I will dismiss Sara Palin as an idiot, and given McCain's age and health, I'd rather have Ted Kennedy (who's DEAD) as the President of the United States.

Heck, I'd take Cleetus, that yocal without teeth in the Simpsons before I'd consider let Sara Palin run a refugee camp in the Sudan.
That, sir, is an insult to idiots everywhere! Not even they would want to be put into the same group as her!

Then again if she was by some hateful act of god elected as President in 2012 then we'd only have to put up with it for two years as she'd probably quit halfway through her term.