Inside Line: 2012 Tesla Model S First Drive and Video

It looks very attractive, better than the overwrought Fisker's, and an impressive effort for a sedan/ 7-seat MPV hybrid of sorts

I like it. It looks pleasant while not being too generic.

What confuses me: Didn't they say its gonna start around 40k USD? Why do I see a pricetag of 107k USD next to it? :blink:

What confuses me: Didn't they say its gonna start around 40k USD? Why do I see a pricetag of 107k USD next to it? :blink:

Supposedly they drove a top of the line model, which will be that expensive. We have yet to see if they will have a much cheaper base model as promised.

http://www.teslamotors.com/models/options

The cheapest Model S is around $49K is a 40kWh battery (0-60: 6.5seconds, 110mph, 160 miles range.

Model S Performance: $59,900 for a 60kWh (0-60: 5.9, 120mph, 230 miles range)
Includes
-Nappa leather interios with alcantara accents and carbon fiber interior accents.
-"Active air" suspension and stport-tuned traction control
-Upgraded wheels and tires

Model S Signature: $69,900 for an 85kWh. (362 hp/325lb-ft, 0-60: 5.6, 125mph, 300 mile range)
Includes:
-Two optional Signature colors
-Nappa perforated leather interior

$97,900 for the Signature Performance (416hp, 443lb-ft, 0-60: 4.4 seconds, 130mph, 300 mile range)

On the top model, Rear-facing seats in the back add $1500, all glass panoramic roof adds $1500, "Multi-coat" White Water Pearl paint adds $1500 and Scotchgard? Paint Protection Film on key aread ads $950 and high-powered wall charger is $1,200. On lower models, there are other options that are available, but standard on the "Signature performance" top model.

All include 8-year battery warranty.

So is battery size going to be the new engine size?

Makes sense to me! Although, motor spec kind of equates to transmission/gearing I guess...

So is battery size going to be the new engine size?
Well, it makes sense. Range is the biggest issue with electric cars, increasing it radically broadens the usage possibilities for the car. Therefore it makes sense to put extra money into that area, respectively to ask for more money there - even if it is kind of a dick move.

The giant touch screen is strange looking and I keep going back and forth about it. On one hand it would suck if it broke, as everything is controlled by it. On the other hand it's a single part and could probably be swapped out quickly and replaced with upgraded equipment easily enough.

The giant touch screen is strange looking and I keep going back and forth about it. On one hand it would suck if it broke, as everything is controlled by it. On the other hand it's a single part and could probably be swapped out quickly and replaced with upgraded equipment easily enough.

I want redundant knobs and buttons. Of course, I'll likely never see/own/drive one of these so it doesnt matter. :p

I get that the rectangle frame maximizes the possible screen area, but I kinda wish they were more inventive. Like...the frame would need to overlap the screen a bit to give it some shape. Otherwise, it looks too big for the space. Like...if the frame was more hourglass-shaped, or something...

Supposedly they drove a top of the line model, which will be that expensive. We have yet to see if they will have a much cheaper base model as promised.

dpCk9.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Maserati, next Ford Fusion (Mondeo) and some others. It looks very contemporary.

Edit: I think that Alistair Weaver makes some comments about the styling in the video.

dpCk9.jpg

Jay, you seem to be saying the same thing over and over...