Installed Civ 5 Tuesday night and realized I hadn't upgraded my system..

der_jackal

Car(s)
'05.5 S4 + '06 Discovery 3
in nearly THREE YEARS!

Of course I had to fix that right away;

• 2 x MEM 2Gx2|OCZ OCZ3RPR1600C8LV4GK
  • 2 x VGA XFX HD-597A-CNB9 HD5970 2GB
  • 1 x CPU INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G
  • 1 x MB ASUS RAMPAGE III FORMULA
  • 1 x CPU COOL ZALMAN|CNPS9900NT
  • 1 x PSU ENERMAX|EGX1250EWT 1250W

Although I think I may have over done it...a little.

If I time it all right, the wife won't know anything is "different" because I'll still be using the same case and the CPU cooler has the same green light. :)

That's all I had, just wanting to share new system specs somewhere my wife wouldn't find out what I'd done. hahaha

Last edited:
For Civ 5? I bet my Core 2 Duo, single 4890 system will max it :lol:

Very nice PC nonetheless, now you just need an underclocking program that runs whenever your wife logs on :p

Errr I mean you should never hide stuff from your SO that would be bad

980X?! You have too much spare cash, that CPU alone costs ?700. I know this because we just built a machine like that at work as a one off to test it with the top end Autodesk applications.

Although there's nothing wrong with extra cooling, the stock Intel cooler is more than capable of cooling that chip up to and beyond 4GHz. Now get to work overclocking. :p

980X?! You have too much spare cash, that CPU alone costs ?700. I know this because we just built a machine like that at work as a one off to test it with the top end Autodesk applications.

Although there's nothing wrong with extra cooling, the stock Intel cooler is more than capable of cooling that chip up to and beyond 4GHz. Now get to work overclocking. :p

It's bonus time at work...so yes I do have too much spare cash. hahahaha.

But that damn Intel cooler is too damn loud. I've got one of the similar Zalman's on my current system and w/ the 120mm case fans, it's damn quiet and a lot cooler under load than the stock fans.

For Civ 5? I bet my Core 2 Duo, single 4890 system will max it :lol:

Very nice PC nonetheless, now you just need an underclocking program that runs whenever your wife logs on :p

Errr I mean you should never hide stuff from your SO that would be bad

hahah, it wasn't just for Civ5. Although the recommended specs are actually pretty hefty for it. I do video editing on the side and they all started moving to AVC-HD source a while ago, so I wanted some more horse power. And thankfully my wife has her own lap top for WoW playing. So she's rarely, rarely on my main box.

Plus I figure I'm good for another 3-5 years with maybe a Video Card upgrade if needed.

in nearly THREE YEARS!

Of course I had to fix that right away;

• 2 x MEM 2Gx2|OCZ OCZ3RPR1600C8LV4GK
  • 2 x VGA XFX HD-597A-CNB9 HD5970 2GB
  • 1 x CPU INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G
  • 1 x MB ASUS RAMPAGE III FORMULA
  • 1 x CPU COOL ZALMAN|CNPS9900NT
  • 1 x PSU ENERMAX|EGX1250EWT 1250W

Although I think I may have over done it...a little.

If I time it all right, the wife won't know anything is "different" because I'll still be using the same case and the CPU cooler has the same green light. :)

That's all I had, just wanting to share new system specs somewhere my wife wouldn't find out what I'd done. hahaha

Can i have the old machine?
Or you use it as dedicated po... media donwload torrent ghettoserver in your garage?

I <3 Windows 7. Normally I sysprep and do all this back up, instead I installed all the new components and fired it up. It found all the new hardware from the X38 to X58 chipset change, implemented a new HAL (not that there was much of a change needed) and dropped right to the desktop. 0 issues. Some new hardware that didn't have inbox drivers - USB3 - or had no matching drivers - going from ATI HD 3xxx series to HD 59xx series installed the VGA drivers. But Windows Update went out and found drivers for the ATI cards and installed them, without me doing anything. Obviously I replaced those with ATI's package later. :)

The USB 3 pulled up a Windows hardware problem report which had a link to NECs USB 3 driver package. Done and dusted all too easily.

Obviously Windows is barking about a reactivation as the entire guts have changed, but other than that, seemless.

The machine didn't throw a shit fit then and give you a 7B bluescreen? We've been experimenting with rolling out Win7 over different hardware at work and hit a big wall due to there being no repair install for Windows 7.

The machine didn't throw a shit fit then and give you a 7B bluescreen? We've been experimenting with rolling out Win7 over different hardware at work and hit a big wall due to there being no repair install for Windows 7.

No? My netbook crashed on me once and I got dumped into "startup repair," which luckily seemed to fix it with no other side effects.

Nary a hiccup. I'm gathering you were using a sysprep image for deployment?

Shame Civ5 was a massive dissapointment :(

Oh the debugging I've done with that game. They really did not do a good job of quality control during the dev process.