Integrated Graphics CPU's AMD & Intel - Still only for office work?

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
'99 Opel Astra 2.0L
Are CPU's with onboard graphics still only good enough to run an office computer? I have an older AMD A10-5800K APU with onboard graphics and while it was ok in 2012-2014, it can't keep up with anything else, plus it's a 95W processor which of course limits what cases and cooling you can use.

If I were to get a ryzen 5700 with Vega graphics, would I have the same issue? Same with the intel side and their Iris graphics.

Eye-Q

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Mazda MX-5 NB ringmeet fashion accessory
Oh no no no, I have a Ryzen 5 5600G combined with 2x8 GB DDR4-3200 and it can play games like Wreckfest quite decently at 1920x1200 on medium to high details:

1658248749064.png

The 5700G has two more CPU-cores and a smidge more GPU-pipelines and whatnot and still has a TDP of just 65W which you can cool very quiet. IMHO if you aren't a hardcore gamer who "needs" 200+ fps integrated graphics have come a long way since the Kaveri series which you have currently.

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
'99 Opel Astra 2.0L
Oh no no no, I have a Ryzen 5 5600G combined with 2x8 GB DDR4-3200 and it can play games like Wreckfest quite decently at 1920x1200 on medium to high details:

View attachment 3565933

The 5700G has two more CPU-cores and a smidge more GPU-pipelines and whatnot and still has a TDP of just 65W which you can cool very quiet. IMHO if you aren't a hardcore gamer who "needs" 200+ fps integrated graphics have come a long way since the Kaveri series which you have currently.

Yeah I saw the power consumption and wanted to verify whether or not it's worth it. I have googled around and it seems like an option. Once you're over about 35fps for me, i can't tell the difference. I do notice higher refresh rates, but only slightly. I have a 2k display and because the current set up I have is so old, it can't display higher than 1920X1080. Which of course means the display is a little blurry.

GRtak

Forum Addict
Gamer's Nexus did a good evaluation of the AMD Ryzen CPUs with graphics. He played a wide range of games so it would be worth a watch/read. I am not sure how the Intel CPUs compare.

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
'99 Opel Astra 2.0L
Gamer's Nexus did a good evaluation of the AMD Ryzen CPUs with graphics. He played a wide range of games so it would be worth a watch/read. I am not sure how the Intel CPUs compare.
This video?

NecroJoe

Stool Chef
Car(s)
2015 Mazda 3 S GT, 2015 VW e-Golf
Keep in mind that you'll also need to makes sure that the motherboard has a video output. Historically a video out has been much much more common on Intel to where you'd almost always be right if you assumed, but it wasn't guaranteed. It's a little more common on AMD than it used to be, but it's not nearly as safe to assume.

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
'99 Opel Astra 2.0L
Keep in mind that you'll also need to makes sure that the motherboard has a video output. Historically a video out has been much much more common on Intel to where you'd almost always be right if you assumed, but it wasn't guaranteed. It's a little more common on AMD than it used to be, but it's not nearly as safe to assume.
AMD boards have video out.

NecroJoe

Stool Chef
Car(s)
2015 Mazda 3 S GT, 2015 VW e-Golf
AMD boards have video out.

I know it's gotten much much more common, but wasn't entirely sure how ubiquitous it's become. I wonder what the deal is here...it's a pre-built where you select a dedicated graphics card...but it ships with a Ryzen 7 5700G(graphics)...but then it also doesn't have a video-out in on the motherboard.

The ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero and ASRock X370 Professional Gaming also had no HDMI, DP, DVI, or VGA ports. Would those motherboards then been set up to output video over USB?

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
'99 Opel Astra 2.0L
I know it's gotten much much more common, but wasn't entirely sure how ubiquitous it's become. I wonder what the deal is here...it's a pre-built where you select a dedicated graphics card...but it ships with a Ryzen 7 5700G(graphics)...but then it also doesn't have a video-out in on the motherboard.

The ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero and ASRock X370 Professional Gaming also had no HDMI, DP, DVI, or VGA ports. Would those motherboards then been set up to output video over USB?

No deal unless the hardware fits inside a Lian Li PC-CK101 ;)