• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Interesting... LS1/6 M3 conversion kits

Gophermuncher

http://www.v3auto.com/
After researching other available V8 options, we concluded that the Corvette/Camaro LS1/6 V8 was the best candidate as a power source for our E36 conversion. These engines are incredibly well designed. They are also incredibly light in weight. All dressed, these engines weighs 100 lbs less than the BMW I6. In stock 5.7L configuration, they also offer nearly twice the displacement. "

1. They are powerful and very reliable - These engines can make huge hp and torque naturally aspirated on regular pump gas.
2. They are very compact, and enjoy a low center of gravity.
3. They feature very efficient aluminum cylinder heads.
4. They are very responsive to additional breathing mods.
5. They enjoy a state of the art PCM that is easily re-configured.
6. They enjoy a burgeoning aftermarket supply of performance parts..
7. They are beautifully designed with crush controlled o-ring gaskets, and are completely metric.
8. They bolt up to the heavy duty Tremec T-56 6 speed manual transmission. This transmission is used in a large number of premium automobiles, Dodge Viper, Chevy Corvette(internals) and the Aston Martin Vanquish.
9. They sound awesome

:shock: I can see the attraction in having one running stock alloys & bodywork with a 318i badge - muhahaha

But surely no-one in their right mind would convert an M3???

well bmw and porsche engines are costly to maintain over 100k miles mark. E36 M3 ->LS1/2 conversion is a good alternative. thumbs up from me.

Just because it isn't sophisticated (relatively) doesn't make it a bad engine. Just as long as the power is coming from somewhere...

I'd so shoot the people who do that.

The LS1, what a joke... and the M3's engine is very good (unless it's the meh 240hp one)

Renesis said:
I'd so shoot the people who do that.

The LS1, what a joke... and the M3's engine is very good (unless it's the meh 240hp one)

I dunno... 350 hp with the same amount of torque or 400 hp with the same amount of torque versus 240 hp and 225 for the E36, which is what the conversion kit does. Like the article said, the LS1/6 weighs less, is smaller, produces more power and is cheaper to maintain and is reliable. What about it is a joke?

It's a shitty engine, cheap, old and unrefined, perfect for americans and american cars, but don't put that in a bimmer for fuck's sake.

Renesis said:
It's a shitty engine, cheap, old and unrefined, perfect for americans and american cars, but don't put that in a bimmer for fuck's sake.
How is it shitty? It's smaller, lighter, more powerful and has a lower center of gravity than the BMW engine. It's also a newer engine, so I don't know where "old" came from. Do you know of a better way to get 350-400hp out of an E36 M3 for around the same price?

Obviously not since I did mention CHEAP.

It's cheap to buy, upgrade, and repair.

But I hate that engine because it's so untechnologic!

It just happens to make the best use of old and proven technology. I wouldn't put it in a BMW, agreed, but that doesn't mean it's a bad engine.

BlaRo said:
It just happens to make the best use of old and proven technology. I wouldn't put it in a BMW, agreed, but that doesn't mean it's a bad engine.

Ok, we settle for not bad, but definately not good, and I still don't like it.

Renesis said:
BlaRo said:

Ok, we settle for not bad, but definately not good, and I still don't like it.
You stick with your rotaries, and I'll take my V8*, then, and we'll all get along. :mrgreen:

*Or 3.0 V6 Twin Turbo, or inline 6, etc.

Renesis said:
Er, inline 6's are on my side buddy. ;)
Never! We shall fight to the death to find the master of t3h inline 6!!!1 :lol:

I can see why the M conversion isnt very popular with the BMW crowd, but i would love to see it done on the shitty [non-M] convertibles that i see around here.

besides, I've seen much better v8 conversion candidates, ones that actually beg for one. Ones like:

-1st gen RX-7
-the Pontiac Fiero if anyone actually cares about them anymore (or if they dont catch fire)
-911s with engine fires (melted block) especially early 80s ones
-914s
-Fiat X1/9

Having said this, I would only agree with the swap if its for a daily driver since you do ruin the heritage of the car, even if you make it more fun to drive.

BTW: i meant junk donor cars, not a running car..

^ Don't mention V8 RX-7's again or you'll be castrated via internet.

A guy in my city has one, it's very fast an all, but dammit, a RX-7 without rotors isn't a RX-7