Internal politics in motorsport

kaBOOMn

(you may read into this I'm having a sook, coz' I'm not going to get what I want...read into it what you will)

O.K so I'm going through the motions of designing a new race car from scratch and I've run up against the wonderful world of rules and regulations (which isn't a problem) and motor racing politics.

Now designing and building from scratch isn't a issue for me, I have my road car project (which to be honest is much harder than any race car project....find my car thread in the post our car section) and various work race car projects (I kinda know what I'm doing)

I understand why rules are there and the like, I understand the safety rules:

What I don't like are technical rules that seem to be rigged to favor the status quo, normally run by a few big players in the field (or class) The horror would be for you to innovate and fly to the head of the pack, without first spending big bucks to enrich everybody in the sport.

I think my problem is I'm under the misguided view that motorsport exists as a way to innovate in cars, and I think the main problem is that, well its a sport.

I understand with classes that have a lot of TV coverage (sponsors and the like) its in the best interest of all involved to keep it close and let drivers determine the difference. But in the lower end this shouldn't really matter. This makes me wonder have we fundamentally broken motorsport?