Hammond: Invisible World

shellygrrl

It seems like this is in a similar vein to Engineering Connections, according to the press release. It'll be on BBC One sometime early in the new year.

BBC Press Office said:
Richard Hammond takes a breathtaking journey into the parallel universe that lies beyond the limits of the naked eye.

Using state-of-the-art imaging technologies, Richard discovers that it's as much the things we cannot see as those we can that shape our lives. From spectacular natural phenomena such as vast super-fast lightning clusters to one of the wonders of the living world ? the hidden aerodynamics of bats ? and our own technological achievements such as the awe-inspiring aerial work conducted on high-voltage power lines, Richard explores the hidden secrets of the invisible world around us.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/proginfo/tv/index_comingsoon.shtml

Last edited:
This will be a good view i'm sure.

A friend of mine saw one oif the episodes recently (press preview type thing) and thought it was very good. He is not a Hammond or Top Gear fan but is a science journalist so his opinion should count for something

Last edited:
The title made it sound like a program about microscopic objects, and how fitting that Hammond presents it.

I'm always so surprised how people find these subjects fascinating, but when it comes to the most fundamentals of the universe (reality), all interest is lost because we can't & refuse to believe the construction & nature of the universe.

For instance, how the universe is an illusion. When we look at ourselves & surroundings (everything) are composed of atoms that are 99.99999% empty space. It's only the interactions (fields: photons) between atoms that our minds perceive. We can't even easily describe the atoms because it's a wave of probability & potential, and a particle simultaneously. As we try to understand the deeper layers of the universe, it becomes more abstract and bizarre to the point that any rational explanation is lost in a sea of dubious mathematics.

Correction #2: Episode 2 will air the 23rd (Tuesday), not the 22nd. Dunno about Episode 3.

Just watched the first episode on 'Speed', or more specifically using slo-motion cameras to film random stuff.

I must say, this is a lot better than his other shows - it really was quite interesting. And very beautiful. Sure there's nothing I haven't seen before, but it was all put together into one easy package and delivered very well. Watch it I say - it may not teach you anything new, but the show is aimed at people who know nothing, so that's fine even if you do.

Download link for GMTV interview here http://www.megaupload.com/?d=W71R58XA

I'll stick the programme link here when it's uploaded.

Thanks for the interview. Look forward to seeing the show link.

Episode 2 will explore the extra-visible portions of the light spectrum (infrared, ultraviolet). One consultant whose work was used in the production of the show has details, and some of his own experiments on display here:
http://photographyoftheinvisibleworld.blogspot.com/
Enjoy!

I really enjoyed that tonight. Although at times I was wishing Clarkson would step and slag Hammond, there were soo many set ups for short jokes :p
The photography was beautiful, some of the shots were breathtaking. I did notice that Richard is not as keen to get his hands dirty (so to speak) and to become a part of the documentary, compared to the likes of James.

I did notice that Richard is not as keen to get his hands dirty (so to speak) and to become a part of the documentary, compared to the likes of James.

I gotta say, as I've seen quite a bit of Richard's work, I disagree! I think Richard is keen to get stuck into things; it just depends on the subject matter.