Invitation to Finalgear Music League

Metal Daze! Great song!
That was my contribution. However one of the comments on it was: "I'm throwing an unapologetic downvote for picking Manowar over Iron Maiden. I mean, if that's the road you want to go down Number of the Beast was released in 1982 as well. Number of the Beast, Run to the Hills, Hallowed be thy Name. Take your pick!"

The people in that league are just music snobs, and I'm straight up not having a good time listening to their playlists.

The people in that league are just music snobs, and I'm straight up not having a good time listening to their playlists.
I'd say that "pointing out the three songs everyone can agree on" is not real snobbery. Picking stuff no one has ever heard of in most rounds is real snobbery.

They will also downvote anything that's "too common/obvious", so the comment in that case would have been "Of course. How obvious, should have gone with something more obscure." :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I was the rare one who had A Time picking which song to use on the country round, I guess. It's what I grew up on and still listen to occasionally, haha. Discards updated with a pretty long list. Also, it's really annoying that the only Garth Brooks versions on Spotify that I can find are from his live shows, but then again, he's the guy who released a new album as CD-only...sold through Bass Pro Shops only. WELP.

I'm going to have a terrible time on Earmuffs, too. I sent my best option too early! Haha.

I thought I may score a little higher in the country round, given we’re car people and my song was about an attachment to one’s vehicle.

Already submitted for Earmuffs. Happy with my choice, though I’m not sure people will like it.

Happy to see T-Pain on @ninjacoco 's discard pile.
My Discard Pile is updated with a bunch of mostly non-US mostly very alternative Country picks. Enjoy.

Also, downvote magnet installed for Earmuffs round.

Ok, I'm very late with the weekly round up, it's the second last full week of school for the year, and shit is just crazy at work.
Anyway....

ROUND FIVE RESULTS
Position
Player
Title & Artist
1st​
DanRoM​
East Bound and Down – Jerry Reed​
30​
18​
2nd​
Blind_Io​
Jolene – Dolly Parton​
26​
21​
3rd​
Matt2000​
(Ghost) Riders in the Sky -- Johnny Cash​
26​
17​
4th​
Dr_Grip​
Black Sunday – The Coffinshakers​
24​
18​
5th​
Galantti​
Man! I Feel Like A Woman! -- Shania Twain​
22​
17​
6th​
Jules​
My Church is Black – Me And That Man​
19​
15​
7th​
Adrian​
Granada – Vassendgutane​
14​
18​
8th​
Tram​
Bronco – Orville Peck​
14​
14​
9th​
Raparperi​
Master of Puppets – Steve ‘n’ Seagulls​
14​
20​
10th​
Eizbaer​
Danger Zone – Cherlene, Kenny Loggins​
14​
19​
11th​
Davetouch​
Life is a Highway – Cars Soundtrack​
14​
15​
12th​
Anesthesia​
Highwayman – The Highwaymen (Nelson, Cash, Jennings, Kristofferson)​
13​
14​
13th​
Kalf​
Tennessee Whiskey – Chris Stapleton​
11​
12​
14th​
Inspirazioni​
Coal – Dylan Gossett​
11​
8​
15th​
Ninjacoco​
Slow Burn – Kacey Musgraves​
10​
10​
16th​
Misrabelle​
She’s My Ute – Lee Kernaghan​
9​
11​
17th​
RdKetchup​
Johnny Cash – Fred Eaglesmith​
6​
11​
18th​
Leviathan​
Dear God – Avenged Sevenfold​
2​
14​
19th​
Kenny​
Mighty Good Time (Keeping One Eye Closed) – Willy Clay Band​
0​
6​
20th​
Andeh​
cowboy like me – Taylor Swift​
-1​
15​
21st​
93Flareside​
Would You Go With Me – Josh Turner​
-2​
16​
22nd​
CraigB​
Your Cheatin’ Heart – Hank Williams​
-4​
15​
23rd​
RickHamilton​
Round Here – Florida Georgia Line​
-6​
14​
24th​
Mitchi***​
Our Song – Taylor Swift​
-7​
19​
25th​
DaBoom​
Truck Yeah – Tim McGraw​
-9​
18​

The round we loved to hate.🤠 Honestly, I didn't find it that bad to listen to. I didn't even skip through any songs!
***Mitchi graced us with a second Taylor Swift song, and then dipped out of the league after listening to the playlist :poop:
Andeh took over Larswey's spot, Kenny and Leviathan picked a great time to join us.

**Harish snuck in while voting was underway, and is able to join in the current round.
DanRom is pulling away in the lead, while Rick is, er, bringing up the rear :drums:

Leaderboard
DanRoM​
75​
Galantti​
60​
Jules​
59​
Matt2000​
57​
Davetouch​
53​
Raparperi​
53​
Anesthesia​
51​
Blind_Io​
48​
Kalf​
43​
Dr_Grip​
42​
Misrabelle​
33​
CraigB​
32​
Tram​
32​
Inspirazioni​
20​
Adrian​
19​
Eizbaer​
14​
RdKetchup​
5​
93Flareside​
4​
DaBoom​
3​
Leviathan​
2​
Kenny​
0​
Harish**​
0​
Ninjacoco​
-1​
Andeh​
-1​
RickHamilton​
-11​
Mitchi***​

Last edited:
The round we loved to hate.🤠 Honestly, I didn't find it that bad to listen to. I didn't even skip through any songs!
Country round at least had proper songs. The Earmuffs round was the worst listening experience I had in a very very long time. So many unfunny gross-out "comedy" songs. This was no fun at all, it almost made me quit the league, to be honest. And seeing what drivel gets voted to the top, while most contributions by acutal musical artists are relegated to the back, does not make it better...

Country round at least had proper songs. The Earmuffs round was the worst listening experience I had in a very very long time. So many unfunny gross-out "comedy" songs. This was no fun at all, it almost made me quit the league, to be honest. And seeing what drivel gets voted to the top, while most contributions by acutal musical artists are relegated to the back, does not make it better...
Hell is other people? 🤷‍♂️
As far as I can tell, that’s what you signed u up for, deal with it. I had to join during the country crap and enjoyed the „unfunny gross-out comedy“ much more than that crap.
Re current round: I actually love how at least a third of the entries were completely expectable with this particular theme 🤣

Is the goal to be unexpected?

As far as I can tell, that’s what you signed u up for, deal with it. 🤣
From how I see it there's two very different interpretations to the theme visible in the submissions:
  • Stupidest possible dick or anal sex joke without any regard for actual musical quality
  • Pick actually great songs that contain words or themes that people may find offensive
I fall in the latter camp, obviously.

Is the goal to be unexpected?
Yes and no. I think one of the fun things about games like this is to discover new music you normally would not stumble upon. But this of course does not happen if people go for the classics.

I think there's room for both, I try to pick songs that I actually listen to or, in some categories, have special meaning. I also try to consider the audience in my choice, because I want my track to be enjoyed. It doesn't mean I'm picking whatever I think will get the most votes or firing up Google to pick whatever the most popular song on Spotify is for that category; the choices are genuine and sometimes that means I'm picking an obvious choice. It makes sense, that song is probably "obvious" because it's what a lot of people like; there's a good chance someone in the League also likes it.

I've left most of the stuff I know people won't enjoy (30 minute doom-drone instrumentals, German language trucker country, German communist singer-songwriters) on the discard pile, but as ending up either top 5 or bottom 5 so far shows I still like to push people's boundaries a bit..

Yes and no. I think one of the fun things about games like this is to discover new music you normally would not stumble upon. But this of course does not happen if people go for the classics.
But then the problem is that different people can have very different taste. I for one discovered a song/artist I really liked among the songs you probably classified as terrible and stupid 😅.

But then the problem is that different people can have very different taste. I for one discovered a song/artist I really liked among the songs you probably classified as terrible and stupid 😅.
Color me interested, which one?