Invitation to Finalgear Music League

Oh, I expected this round to be a mulligan in terms of song...quality. Or hilarious. I mean, I enjoy silly dong songs. Some really aren't funny, others haven't aged well, but I felt like "show us your worst" was the point.

I found a lot I liked on this list despite the obvious yucks, but my taste is bad (tm).

FWIW, @Dr_Grip's discard pile is a lot of fun. I kinda wanna see more obscure songs get submitted since I want to hear more stuff that doesn't make it into my usual rotation/channels/stations/etc. (I'm hella not playing for points, though, haha.) I've really just tried to avoid long intros or stretches of blank audio (remember when CDs hid secret songs at the end of the last track? doesn't translate to streaming well!), but that's about all. tl;dr—BRING ON THE DOOM.

Last edited:
Color me interested, which one?
That drivel that got voted to the top I'm afraid. Not that it's my prefered music, but I just seem to like light stuff that just sounds normal/enjoyable when you're not paying attention to the lyrics but is just ridiculous or even plain offensive when you start listening to it.

20 years ago my brother and I loved Stephen Lynch and literally ROFL-ed while listening to it, but I know that our sisters hated it and found it offensive and rude.

I’m having a great time.

I know we are still weeks away from finishing this, but while talking with my dad about the competition he asked, "What do you win?" in reference to winning a round. Nothing, of course is the answer, but after thinking about it a second, I thought perhaps being allowed to pick a round theme in the next competition would be incentive to pick a good song.

I'm enjoying the variety, there are plenty of songs in this round that I don't like but some I hadn't come across and I keep listening to. My own choices are all from my personal favourites and that's how it'll be for the rest of the rounds.

I'm avoiding repeated artists so it isn't predictable which one is mine, but I may still choose a classic where I like it and it suits. I'm giving up what I think could be a winner in the 'Genre-bending Covers' round for this reason.

I know we are still weeks away from finishing this, but while talking with my dad about the competition he asked, "What do you win?" in reference to winning a round. Nothing, of course is the answer, but after thinking about it a second, I thought perhaps being allowed to pick a round theme in the next competition would be incentive to pick a good song.
I will take a fancy cheese for my inevitable 18th-place finish.

Every round is going to be open to people's interpretation as to what fits. That's part of the unpredictableness. Then everyone will vote according to their own taste/interpretation as well.

I'm quite enjoying this league. I look forward to the playlists each week, even at 90+ minutes long.
My friend's league, there's only 11 players, and I absolutely dread having to listen each week. I feel like we've had the same playlist half a dozen times, and it's just a circle jerk of patting themselves on the back for posting absolutely unenjoyable garbage.

I just try to pick songs/artists I really enjoy without worrying too much about what would end up getting more or less votes. I enjoy that I'm discovering new songs/artists thru this league and I can only hope to submit the occasional song that is a new pleasant discovery for other people. I might not even listen to 90% of these songs ever again and I did encounter some songs I couldn't stand for longer than 30 seconds, but I do enjoy most of it and I try my best to give every song a real chance by listening to them at least twice.

Discard Pile updated with offensive picks - most of which are offensive in content, not choice of words. I picked Banshee from the bunch because she's both - her brand of hate-filled victim anti-male feminism is offensive to many, and her choice of words is crass as well. But something has to be said about Peter Steele's ability to be absolutely over the top Christian baiting offensive while being almost daytime radio safe in his words (the line "and between her thighs" had to be chanced for the radio edit), for example. Jesus Christ looks like him! Plus two very low brow German-language choices, both from @DanRoM's home area.

Last edited:
Ha, I think I voted completely differently than almost everyone else. The absolute most offensive to overhear got my points, with extra consideration given to easily understandable garbage that you'd be mortified if your buddy's middle schooler overheard and started singing all day. That's the absolute worst, in my experience. I have too many friends with small children, I guess.

Anyway, discards updated.

Screenshot 2023-12-12 103026.png

It's starting to look like a behavioural experiment, how we're all interpreting the categories differently. I was actually expecting everyone to hate Alestorm, maybe they'll hate this one instead.

It's starting to look like a behavioural experiment, how we're all interpreting the categories differently. I was actually expecting everyone to hate Alestorm, maybe they'll hate this one instead.

I can't figure out what gets voted on the best, so I'm just going with crap I actually like.

I actually had to check if @Kiki participated in the game when I saw that song title. :D
She isn't playing, it's too much like school for her and being forced to listen to music she didn't pick for herself.

The comments for me are the best part of this game!

Will attempt to get to the round recap and updated leaderboard tonight. Puppy house training, organising all the official transfer of ownership/residence, and veterinary care is time consuming.
AND I still have the bus company and my parents to manage.