FliPP

Car(s)
92 T-Bird
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1638&u_sid=1318511

Published Tuesday
January 25, 2005

Iowa bill seeks to ban flashy, spinning auto wheel covers

Iowa Legislature

DES MOINES (AP) - A Council Bluffs lawmaker wants to stop spinning wheels from turning.

An example of a spinning hubcap.

Rep. Doug Struyk wants to outlaw car and truck wheel covers fitted with flashy spinners that keep rotating after a vehicle has stopped. The Republican legislator says they can cause accidents.

The wheel covers, which have gained popularity in the past couple of years, are placed on pickups or refurbished older model cars as an accessory.

Struyk says they can make it difficult to tell whether a vehicle is moving or stopped.

His bill would make it a simple misdemeanor for a motorist to drive a vehicle equipped with the spinners, punishable by a fine of $10.

Struyk said he was nearly involved in an accident in November near Bentley, Iowa. He was driving a truck pulling a 16-foot trailer loaded with a dozen ladders. He approached an intersection as a car with the spinning wheel covers approached from another direction. He said the spinners made it appear as if the car might still be moving through the intersection, so he braked hard and the trailer nearly jackknifed.

He said he has noticed more of the spinners in recent months and that the more common they become, the more likely they are to cause an accident.

Spinning wheel covers are most popular with customers in their 20s, said Richard Riekeberg, manager of the Big O Tire store in Altoona. He said his store sells about six sets a year, at a cost of $2,000 per set.

"We do a lot of them for trucks, Suburbans, Tahoes, a lot of old-school cars with rear-wheel drive," said Brian Kaminski, a salesman for Wheel-One Inc. in St. Paul, Minn.

The company, based in Los Angeles, has 16 locations nationwide and sells tens of thousands of spinners a year, Kaminski said.

He said he didn't understand how the wheel covers could be considered dangerous.

"I've heard of people saying stuff like that," he said. "The way I think if it is, if you can't tell a car's not moving and you start going, maybe you shouldn't have a driver's license."

Struyk, who introduced the bill last week, said he knows law enforcement officers who agree with him and said lawmakers he has talked to see his point.

"I've talked to fellow legislators," Struyk said, "and haven't had anybody tell me I'm out of my mind yet."

Does every shit need to be regulated?????? COME ON, this is ridiculous.

:lol: Who cares? Less ugliness on the road.

Plus, they're distracting.

I have to agree, i hate them, but thats not the point. The point is, officials want to regulate that, ban that, fine that. It's getting out of hand. Soon they will be like germany, you can't even install a aftermarket front bumper or fart in you own car without them aprove it.

WOW they think people who can buy wheels that are worth thousands will care about a $10 ticket?? :roll:

Viper007Bond said:
:lol: Who cares? Less ugliness on the road.

Plus, they're distracting.

Yeah, I agree with that but what I don't agree on is the fact that you can't judge a car moving or not. I mean, if you have to look at a cars wheels to realize it's moving or not then like the guy mentioned in the article... maybe you shouldn't have a license.

"I've heard of people saying stuff like that," he said. "The way I think if it is, if you can't tell a car's not moving and you start going, maybe you shouldn't have a driver's license."

Struyk, who introduced the bill last week, said he knows law enforcement officers who agree with him and said lawmakers he has talked to see his point.

This is patheticly obvious and just plain ludicrous!!

The police officers see this as a good way to bring in money from tickets as some people wont bother to change their rims, just dont care about $10 or will not have their rims removed immediately.

This is just plain stupid, that guy should not drive if he can't tell that a car is moving or not and can easily be fooled by spinners. :thumbsdown:

If he was looking at the road while driving then he shouldn't be driving. WTF are you doing looking at a road towing a 16 foot trailer. You are not gonna stop in 2 feet. What a moron.

SiR_dude said:
.....but you still can't deny that spinners are the stupidest invention in the last few years of the automotive aftermarket....

To each his own, right??

I don't care for them because spending 2 grand on RIMS is ridiculous. Don't worry though. I have a feeling this trend will die as will the 22" and up rims. Why do you need a rim bigger than 18"??? Don't understand.

Mischief007 said:
If he was looking at the road while driving then he shouldn't be driving. WTF are you doing looking at a road towing a 16 foot trailer. You are not gonna stop in 2 feet. What a moron.

SiR_dude said:
.....but you still can't deny that spinners are the stupidest invention in the last few years of the automotive aftermarket....

To each his own, right??

I don't care for them because spending 2 grand on RIMS is ridiculous. Don't worry though. I have a feeling this trend will die as will the 22" and up rims. Why do you need a rim bigger than 18"??? Don't understand.

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE BLING-BLING MONEY-MONEY, YO!!!!!!!!!

Mischief007 said:
I have a feeling this trend will die as will the 22" and up rims. Why do you need a rim bigger than 18"??? Don't understand.
I remember hearing XZbit on Pimp My Ride saying he was into 'performance' not bling because he put 22" rims on his Escalade instead of 24" rims. :?

those guys at pimp my ride have no knowledge whatsoever about performance... I think the only performance parts they know are the tires... one guy said were going to put on 17" BFgoodrich tires that are really going to stick to the ground... the tires are freakin like 175/70R rated tires... how the fuck are those gna give you grip

andyhui01 said:
those guys at pimp my ride have no knowledge whatsoever about performance... I think the only performance parts they know are the tires... one guy said were going to put on 17" BFgoodrich tires that are really going to stick to the ground... the tires are freakin like 175/70R rated tires... how the fuck are those gna give you grip

Because they are american BF goodrich tires. That's why...

:lol:

Spinners are for show-off's and drug dealers. Why would I bother paying such a rediculous amount of money on something that isnt really that good looking :yucky: and doesnt really get u the gurls.
The best way to bling up ur car is to shove on a set of five spoke, "Shadow" (Black coloured), 19" rims :yes: :yes: :yes: .
untitled2we.jpg

I guess the term "bling" differs from person to person... my bling car would be a Range Rover on Chrome wheels... (well maybe spinners... but I'm too afraid to admit considering the amount of flame on spinners :lol: ) I honestly think Spinners are something cool... its something another group of people think is cool and I respect that, for us its about performance parts and I hope they accept it as well.
Whenever people say, why do you spend so much money on your car and with the amount of money you spent... you can easily afford a 3-series or something... I get really annoyed as this is just like any other interest everyone has... I don't go bombarding people asking why they spent like 10,000USD on a Persian or Kashmian (sp?) carpet.

over here you can buy wheelcaps

...with spinners

it looks realy stupid, the part that spins sits in front of the wheel, it comes out for more than 1 inch

bone said:
over here you can buy wheelcaps

...with spinners

it looks realy stupid, the part that spins sits in front of the wheel, it comes out for more than 1 inch
Christ that sounds silly. I'd laugh if I saw one of those on the city streets.
My biggest issue with spinners are they dont come in favourable sets such as five spokes. I havnt seen any of them :| .

SL55AMG-WoW bAbY!!!! said:
Spinners are for show-off's and drug dealers. Why would I bother paying such a rediculous amount of money on something that isnt really that good looking :yucky: and doesnt really get u the gurls.
The best way to bling up ur car is to shove on a set of five spoke, "Shadow" (Black coloured), 19" rims :yes: :yes: :yes: .
untitled2we.jpg

Those are nice. :thumbsup:

zenon said:
I remember hearing XZbit on Pimp My Ride saying he was into 'performance' not bling because he put 22" rims on his Escalade instead of 24" rims. Confused

:lol: Hilarious.

SL55AMG-WoW bAbY!!!! said:
Christ that sounds silly. I'd laugh if I saw one of those on the city streets.
My biggest issue with spinners are they dont come in favourable sets such as five spokes. I havnt seen any of them Neutral .

Already too many here in town. I've seen them and I laugh since they are usually on a beat up old Pontiac Tempest or an old Bonneville.