iPhone 4S

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be surprised if Siri works as well as shown. Voice systems have never worked out well.

There have already been hands-on experience with the software. Obviously it still has limitations, but what it does now, it apparently does impressively well.

I'd like to see how well it works out in the wild.

Yeah, it's going to be interesting.

From my point of view, it is probably not something I'm going to use, not at first at least - most of all because danish is not supported. Walking around speaking english to my phone.. I don't know, it just makes me look even sillier than it already would :p

But we'll see. It certainly has a lot of potential.

They should be bringing Siri to OS X, I question its utility on a phone tbh. I mean I'm not going to talk to it at work when I want to send a quick note or something. I won't be talking to it when I'm on the train because that would be obnoxious. I can't really use it in the car safely as I have the phone in the armrest connected to the head unit. So really when would I ever use it?

I WOULD on the other hand talk to my laptop and have it read things back to me. For instance if I'm getting dressed in the morning I could say "what's the weather like today?" and have it tell me so I know to grab a jacket. I can do it manually ofcourse but that would interrupt the dressing process.

That would actually be pretty cool. It could be very useful as an extra assistant on the computer as well, to do trivial tasks like taking small notes, looking things up on wikipedia, that sort of thing. And you could do it without otherwise interrupting workflow or what else you are doing at the time.

I can see a use for it on any of the devices. It's bound to spread to the other platforms from now on anyway - and with iCloud syncing up everything you'd quite quickly get a pretty nifty little tool :)

That would actually be pretty cool. It could be very useful as an extra assistant on the computer as well, to do trivial tasks like taking small notes, looking things up on wikipedia, that sort of thing. And you could do it without otherwise interrupting workflow or what else you are doing at the time.

I can see a use for it on any of the devices. It's bound to spread to the other platforms from now on anyway - and with iCloud syncing up everything you'd quite quickly get a pretty nifty little tool :)
That's true I didn't even think of that, especially since something like a PC would be much less constrained by the amount of power available it could actually sit there as a daemon and monitor. So you could say "Siri, what's the forecast for tomorrow?" and it would tell you as opposed to having to break away from a task and activate it.

That's true I didn't even think of that, especially since something like a PC would be much less constrained by the amount of power available it could actually sit there as a daemon and monitor. So you could say "Siri, what's the forecast for tomorrow?" and it would tell you as opposed to having to break away from a task and activate it.

That's a pretty good idea, give it a unique name and a listening daemon and it can respond on command without trying to parse everything you say to the other person in the room.

iphone4svsnokian8.jpg

price wont be that high, but are the other "facts" true?

The fanboy that made the picture did a good job at leaving out things like quality and selection of apps, third party accessory support, screen resolution, ease of use, etc.

But let's see now.

- Megapixels don't mean shit. 8 is plenty, anyways. 5 was plenty too, imo. And 3.
- 4G? In the N8? Did I miss something?
- Why wouldn't you be able to send SMS and MMS messages between iOS and Android? I do it all the time, anyways.
- 3 grams, ok. You win.
- Flash. I'd rather wait for it to die, honestly. I don't need it on my phone 99% of the time.
- Sends all you do and say to the cloud? Wtf troll.
- It has an LED flash. The N8 has a proper xenon flash though.

Last edited:
The fanboy that made the picture did a good job at leaving out things like quality and selection of apps, third party accessory support, screen resolution, ease of use, etc.

But let's see now.

- Megapixels don't mean shit. 8 is plenty, anyways. 5 was plenty too, imo. And 3.
- Why wouldn't you be able to send SMS and MMS messages between iOS and Android? I do it all the time, anyways.
- 3 grams, ok. You win.
- Flash. I'd rather wait for it to die, honestly. I don't need it on my phone 99% of the time.
The N8 is a pretty nice device, the main problem is not even quality and selection of apps, the main problem is that Nokia is not going to be using that OS ever again.... Makes it the most pointless device in the world from a simple standpoint of it no longer being supported in a year or two...

I do like that. Why would Apple care to know that much information? Google on the other hand would love to know being as the vast majority of their revenue comes from targeted advertising.

Another question to ask is how much support from the manufacturer will it have in two years?

Last edited:
...the main problem is that Nokia is not going to be using that OS ever again.... Makes it the most pointless device in the world from a simple standpoint of it no longer being supported in a year or two...

That is also my main gripe with a lot of Android devices... It takes ages for most devices to get the newest version, and some firms only update a few devices for a longer time...
I mean, even the 3GS gets iOS5...

I wonder if the 4S will attract a premium by being the last of the "jobs-era" devices.

If it's priced at the promised $200 for the 16GB one I'll get one, if only because of that and that the Galaxy S2 is awfully more expensive

That is also my main gripe with a lot of Android devices... It takes ages for most devices to get the newest version, and some firms only update a few devices for a longer time...
I mean, even the 3GS gets iOS5...

Most Android apps will run on anything above 2.1 now which includes every single Android phone released in the US. Plus there are third party projects to increase the longevity a bit, my Hero officially is only updated to 2.1 but I have a custom 2.3 ROM.

I know it's not ideal but it's not the same as the entire OS going away or a complete lack of support for older devices.

If it's priced at the promised $200 for the 16GB one I'll get one, if only because of that and that the Galaxy S2 is awfully more expensive

You do know that price is with a contract??? Think more in the 699$ range for the 16GB one @applestore...

Hopefully Siri will roll out to the ipad 2 since its the same hardware.

Hopefully Siri will roll out to the ipad 2 since its the same hardware.
It has the same A5 chip, but the 4S has more RAM, which might be relevant. But I'm on your side in this one, having an iPad 2 myself :)

I wonder if the 4S will attract a premium by being the last of the "jobs-era" devices.

It's been "half confirmed" that he had his hands in the 2012 iPhone aswell, so we haven't seen all of his ideas yet.

Last edited:
Job's personal influence over products will be with us for a few years. They have roadmaps that extend for years.

But let's see now.

- 3 grams, ok. You win.

They also forgot to mention that the N8 runs symbian, which is utter garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.