iPhone 4S

Status
Not open for further replies.
So now that preorders are up whos forking out for one?

I've already pre-ordered mine. 32GB, black, ATT.

The original plan was to hold out until the all-new 5, but my 3G met an unexpected death last weekend.

I've already pre-ordered mine. 32GB, black, ATT.

The original plan was to hold out until the all-new 5, but my 3G met an unexpected death last weekend.
Also the 3G sucked ass (had one) compared to even the 3Gs it was time. Didn't order waiting for LTE since for one I can't get one at upgrade price and for two the 4 is still plenty relevant.

I ordered a 16GB to replace my 8GB 3G. My current phone is falling apart anyway (in Apple's defense I've dropped the thing on hard surfaces about two billion times).

ROFL A friend of mine got his new app approved, comming out with iOS 5. Top portion says "Soviet Assistant"
310740_10150426227848833_705058832_10331129_1111573111_n.jpg

I wonder if the 4S will attract a premium by being the last of the "jobs-era" devices.

Who says it was the last? IIRC rumors say that Apple already was 2 generations ahead in the pipeline for many products.

Who says it was the last? IIRC rumors say that Apple already was 2 generations ahead in the pipeline for many products.

I think i didn't phrase it very well - what I really should have said is will it (and yes, other not-yet-released but SJ devices) attract a premium/become collectible in a few years similar to how the F40 is seen as the last of the Enzo era. Whilst the 4S is certainly not the last SJ device would it be perceived as such due to the announcement date? Anyway, its kinda off-topic to the central discussion here :)

I am still in two minds about preordering - I love my ipad and I have an MBP so the iPhone would fit in well, but on the other hand I want to see what google has round the corner with the Prime.

Last edited:
I think i didn't phrase it very well - what I really should have said is will it (and yes, other not-yet-released but SJ devices) attract a premium/become collectible in a few years similar to how the F40 is seen as the last of the Enzo era. Whilst the 4S is certainly not the last SJ device would it be perceived as such due to the announcement date? Anyway, its kinda off-topic to the central discussion here :)

I am still in two minds about preordering - I love my ipad and I have an MBP so the iPhone would fit in well, but on the other hand I want to see what google has round the corner with the Prime.

Ahh gotcha...I saw what you meant but wasn't sure if its what you meant (I think that made sense....) :p I could totally see the iphone 4s/4 going for more in the mid to long run due to mainstream lack of product planning awareness. :)

As far as upgrading goes, honestly the current 4 takes a great picture and is snappy in it's own right. I wouldn't call 3GS slow either. To me, the biggest new feature is Siri: gamechanging for sure (not even Vlingo is Siri good...period) but it might not be useful much IRL everyday beyond the "Duuuudddee, check this out!" phase.

I'd wait for the Nexus and if you're dead set on iPhone,the iPhone 5: like the guys from the This Is My Next podcast said, all these case makers didn't start making teardrop shaped, back covering, iPhone cases for shits and giggles...something bigger is coming for 5.

If you do go 4s, buy at contract free pricing: save your upgrade for a more substantial redesign (exterior/size speaking).

Last edited:
The big thing (atleast obvious thing) for the iphone 5 will be an A15 based chip and much upgraded gpu which will start rivaling the graphical power of the 360 and PS3, and that will pose some interesting what if's.

Last edited:
As far as upgrading goes, honestly the current 4 takes a great picture and is snappy in it's own right. I wouldn't call 3GS slow either. To me, the biggest new feature is Siri: gamechanging for sure (not even Vlingo is Siri good...period) but it might not be useful much IRL everyday beyond the "Duuuudddee, check this out!" phase.

I'd wait for the Nexus and if you're dead set on iPhone,the iPhone 5: like the guys from the This Is My Next podcast said, all these case makers didn't start making teardrop shaped, back covering, iPhone cases for shits and giggles...something bigger is coming for 5.

If you do go 4s, buy at contract free pricing: save your upgrade for a more substantial redesign (exterior/size speaking).

Well, I'll be coming from a Nexus S so its not like I'm upgrading from an iPhone 4. I'll also be buying off-contract, and since Apple devices hold their value well I don't think I'd lose too much if I decide to sell it when the iPhone 5 comes around. As I have commented in previous threads I'm just bored with Android and want to try something different, so I'm not exactly rushing to buy a new phone. Maybe ICS will be enough to keep me amused :p

As far as Siri goes I think its one of those things you just have to try living with to see if you like it. I have never ever used voice activation software before but I can see how it'd be handy for driving, especially when integrated into the headunit.

So, yeah, I did the preorder thing on t-mobile Germany yesterday... They offered a Premiere Ticket for "the new smartphone you were asking about" at the beginning of September. I phones the first day this was possible, although being in Italy and drinking the night before until the sun came up, it was early afternoon until I got around to doing so.
Went to the shop yesterday to actually sign up for it and the guy said, the ticket holders will be catered for first and shipment is centralized for Germany... I just hope that apple gives them a lot of Phones, and I hope that 64GB black ones haven't been ordered like crazy...

I think I'm going to have my brother send me an unlocked iPhone from Vancouver, with the current RMB or Euros rates to CA$, it costs less to have one sent to China than to buy a brand new one in France (not even sent).

I preordered a 16gb black one for my wife, who is still on a 3G (she had too many antenna problems with the 4), but I'm sticking to my 4 until the 5 comes out, unless my 4 dies. I think it's a really nice incremental upgrade to an already great design, and I hope she'll be completely happy with it.

I had Sprint as my first carrier, it sucked ass. It's fine in the city but when I was upstate in school it was beyond useless. VZ on the other hand I never had a problem with even on Bear Mountain where my ATT service was not working.

You basically get what you pay for....

Sprint roams on Verizon, so...how long ago did you have service with Sprint? I think the biggest announcement is that the 4 and 4S is now available on Sprint - the last major carrier with unlimited data (and cheapest).

I'm going to get one for my wife soon. It'll be a colossal upgrade from her Droid Eris (which is such a steaming pile of dung).

I'm assuming there will be more available voices for the Siri thing. The voice in the video sounds pretty cheesy. Even cheap GPS's come with better voices than that these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.