iPhone / iOS Thread

It doesn't actually really remove it, it just hides it. It appears in the App Store as a standalone product because they figured that's where people would be the more likely to find it if they want to show it again.

That also doesn't mean that they allow you to choose another client as the default mail client, if you try to click on an email address, the system will ask you if you want to open Mail.app instead of whatever client you use.

Is there an iOS app that alerts you via push notification when your device changes location? I have a spare iPad with LTE and I'm thinking about making a poor man's car alarm for next week. It's going to be parked in Helsinki while I'm abroad and I'd like to keep an eye on it.

I will probably just use Find my iPhone, but that doesn't do alerts.

0973036e22a820ca7551f801149466bc.png

It could be none more full up there. :)

I am using a VPN

Probably not a iOS specific observation, but I hate how apps are getting so huge. Just looked at my phone and these are the worst offenders.

Facebook: 225.3 MB
Uber: 162 MB
Facebook Messenger: 152.6 MB
Citi Mobile: 150 MB
LinkedIn: 141.9 MB
Paypal: 137.3 MB
GMail: 133.7 MB
Google Drive: 123.2 MB (with no offline data saved)
Twitter: 115.8 MB
Dropbox: 112.2 MB (with no offline data saved)
Yelp: 98.6 MB

This isn't counting the downloaded documents or cache from any of these apps, which is also out of hand btw, but just the app size.

There is no reason for all these apps to be as big as they are. I can't even picture what is taking up all that space as most of these apps are fairly simple versions of their respective websites. Google Drive for instance, the app is just a list of files and folders on my Google Drive with some sorting, sharing and preview options, so why is it taking up so much space? Citi Mobile just shows me my recent credit card transactions and lets me pay my bills. Am I missing something?

Probably not a iOS specific observation, but I hate how apps are getting so huge. Just looked at my phone and these are the worst offenders.

Facebook: 225.3 MB
Uber: 162 MB
Facebook Messenger: 152.6 MB
Citi Mobile: 150 MB
LinkedIn: 141.9 MB
Paypal: 137.3 MB
GMail: 133.7 MB
Google Drive: 123.2 MB (with no offline data saved)
Twitter: 115.8 MB
Dropbox: 112.2 MB (with no offline data saved)
Yelp: 98.6 MB

This isn't counting the downloaded documents or cache from any of these apps, which is also out of hand btw, but just the app size.

There is no reason for all these apps to be as big as they are. I can't even picture what is taking up all that space as most of these apps are fairly simple versions of their respective websites. Google Drive for instance, the app is just a list of files and folders on my Google Drive with some sorting, sharing and preview options, so why is it taking up so much space? Citi Mobile just shows me my recent credit card transactions and lets me pay my bills. Am I missing something?
Facebook loads a shit ton of cache on your phone, if you click on the app it will show you that most of the data is from "documents and settings"

Facebook loads a shit ton of cache on your phone, if you click on the app it will show you that most of the data is from "documents and settings"

That 225 MB is without the cache. I've seen 300 MB worth of crap cached on my phone, and the only way to clear that is to delete and reinstall the app.

That 225 MB is without the cache. I've seen 300 MB worth of crap cached on my phone, and the only way to clear that is to delete and reinstall the app.

Yep, I do that from time to time. It's really all just the stupid high res graphics for that sexy sexy screen. Then again commercial software seem to take up a lot of space on their own, my MBP had about 50-60GB used with the bare minimum software (OS + Chrome + some small utilities). Same set up with Linux is under 9GB.

Facebook pretty much doubled its size since they introduced those useless "Stories" features. Same for WhatsApp.

k64nclz.png

Oh good. 112 MB for an update with "not too much change".

Yeah, it's amazing how small apps were when the iPhone first came out to what they are now. They're the size of full fledged windows 98 programs.

Yeah, it's amazing how small apps were when the iPhone first came out to what they are now. They're the size of full fledged windows 98 programs.

Bigger by a pretty big margin, 100megs in Win98 days was a lot of space. I support commercial software, which is a suit of applications including monitoring, ticketing and automation, with a web front end and that thing takes up 300megs of disk space (not counting the DB but that's all just user data). Does quite a bit more than Twitter...

I have two full fledged office suites on my iPhone and I never use any of the apps. Probably a couple of gigs worth of space wasted there.

I ended up using an old iPad with 4G to keep track of my car while it was parked in Helsinki, btw. Hid it under the false floor in the trunk. The battery is pretty crap but I hooked it up to a 21000mAh powerbank just to be sure. It was really nice to be able to log in and check the whereabouts of my car while I was in Prague. I can just imagine that call I would have to make to the cops: "Um, well... I think my car is stolen..." :D

I have Google Apps and the Office Mobile suite installed. I've only used the latter a few times and only Google Drive for the former

Why not have the option to force that sort of cleanup somewhere as a button in the settings menu? :| Nooooo, that would be way too convenient...

I haven't done it personally but many report success in r/iPhone

Cleared about 1GB. Not bad.

Why not have the option to force that sort of cleanup somewhere as a button in the settings menu? :| Nooooo, that would be way too convenient...

That would only be logical and what the customer wants. We don't give the customer what the want because we're convinced the customer doesn't actually know what they want. So we force our customers to figure out workarounds to do what they want to do.

I got 1.2GB back just by deleting and reinstalling tapatalk. I have no idea what data it was storing.