iPhone / iOS Thread

The phone must do all things these days. All of the things.

iOS 11.1 is the first real release of iOS 11, the one that should have shipped. I'm running the beta on my iPhone 6S and iPad mini 2, and it runs much faster than even iOS 10 did.

Apple also knows this because they chose to wait until iOS 11.1 to ship new emojis, which is, sadly enough, what pushes a lot of people to do updates these days.

My mother is using her iPad more than anything else these days so I talked her into spending the money and replace her dreadfully slow (and spideweb cracked) iPad Mini 2 with a 10.5 iPad Pro.

She really liked the Apple Smart Case she had for her old iPad but for some inexplicable reason, Apple doesn't make one for the Pro so I had to look at alternatives.

I went to the internet, and found this:

5havlf0.jpg

Xhi85ft.jpg

The Khomo Dual Case. Functionally it's identical to Apple's Smart Case, but the back is made from matte plastic that's really nice to touch. It was also less than half the price of the Apple product, obviously. :p

They also make a simple back cover if you want to use Apple's Smart Cover or Smart Keyboard with it. That's probably what I would get.

Not sure if this is some sort of ios11 feature or a glitch.

Just before 3am my phone alerted me to three text messages. The one was received at 11am, 1pm and 6:30pm. I was notified at those times, but I never opened the messages so they were still marked as unread. For some reason at 3am my phone decided to notify me of those messages again....waking me up.

Not sure if it was a one time thing or what.

This fucker did it again. This time with 7 messages repeating. I woke up thinking there was some kind of emergency. Have no idea why it?s happening.

I turned off repeat alerts (when it alerts on a message after 2 minutes). See if it changes anything.

I'm kinda annoyed they didn't discontinue the 6s. Means that will likely be my next work phone. Was holding out until today's event hoping it would be phased out and I'd get a 7.

Looks like our corporate phone management system dropped the 6s anyways. Just ordered a 7 to replace my work 5s.

A bigger phone doesn't seem like the worst thing anymore. Its weird switching between my work 7 and personal 5s. But goddam that protruding rear camera still pisses the shit out of me.

A bigger phone doesn't seem like the worst thing anymore. Its weird switching between my work 7 and personal 5s. But goddam that protruding rear camera still pisses the shit out of me.

Easy put a case on it, the one I have is just thick enough to cover it (and a metal plate to use with magnetic car mounts). Though I also don't understand why they couldn't just make the entire phone same thickness, just give it a bigger battery to take up the space, it would probably add a couple of hours to battery life too.

Though I also don't understand why they couldn't just make the entire phone same thickness, just give it a bigger battery to take up the space, it would probably add a couple of hours to battery life too.

Sooooooo muuuuuuch thiiiiiiiis!

Easy put a case on it, the one I have is just thick enough to cover it (and a metal plate to use with magnetic car mounts). Though I also don't understand why they couldn't just make the entire phone same thickness, just give it a bigger battery to take up the space, it would probably add a couple of hours to battery life too.

Because then people would whine about how WAY THICK the new phone was (even though it's only by a millimeter or two) and point at this as a clear sign that Apple was behind Samsung, etc., etc., etc., <insert idiot Android fanboy screed here>.

That's why. It's because way too many people are way too fucking stupid.

Last edited:
Thin is in boys.

Wow, that is easily misinterpreted.

Apple knows you are going to put a case of some kind on it and you are just going to have to suck it up and spend the $20 ish to get one.

Thin is in boys.

Wow, that is easily misinterpreted.

Apple knows you are going to put a case of some kind on it and you are just going to have to suck it up and spend the $20 ish to get one.

I spent the $30 on an Otterbox and it did yeoman duty protecting my phone in my motorcycle crash last week. :p

The way the upper bar now encroaches on items in the main area.

cd70d861e4784f795ad4dddd9a88b5bd.png

452c4b9a9d5ad8d6a40e29e84d31d663.png

When the blue bar is up, I struggle to use the 15 second skip and pausing. Is nearly useless like this.

Also...

Looks great, right? Try and skip or pause. I?ve skipped more than paused, like when I stopped at a gas station and want to pause for a bit.

311d5e80d2a2ad686e573aa7cb563b85.png

Now you have to press and hold the tab to get this:

708e76f6633772ee76e250e75132bfda.png

WHY CHANGE IT?

Because then people would whine about how WAY THICK the new phone was (even though it's only by a millimeter or two) and point at this as a clear sign that Apple was behind Samsung, etc., etc., etc., <insert idiot Android fanboy screed here>.

That's why. It's because way too many people are way too fucking stupid.

Funny thing is that I actually put a case on mine for two reasons:
1) To have a metal plate in it so I can use magnetic mounts in the car
2) The fucking thing is too god damn thin and slides out of your hands too fucking easily.

- - - Updated - - -

I spent the $30 on an Otterbox and it did yeoman duty protecting my phone in my motorcycle crash last week. :p

I spent like $10 on mine :p

- - - Updated - - -

When the blue bar is up, I struggle to use the 15 second skip and pausing. Is nearly useless like this.

Also...

Looks great, right? Try and skip or pause. I?ve skipped more than paused, like when I stopped at a gas station and want to pause for a bit.

WHY CHANGE IT?

Ha! You listen to the Dollop! I used to but I rarely find the time these days :(

Yeah I do. Their love audio is atrocious though. Being a sound guy for live audio (yeah yeah, it?s church but, still) for.... 11 years now, it infuriates me how bad audio recordings are for such popular items such as the two I have in my screenshots.

I got used to having to force press to expand the widget but I agree - tapping outside the control area on the mini widget should jump you to the app currently playing audio.

Well, it worked fine before and now I regret updating...

Also...

WHY CHANGE IT?

Pull down the Notification Center, the full size now playing widget is now there.

Yeah, I haven?t had a ?late alarm clock? bug. :D

I have. Apple fucked up the spring-time DST change for Europe a couple of years ago. The alarm went off one hour later than it was supposed to. Millions of people overslept. :D

That?s funny but interesting to know a lot of people rely on their phone for an alarm.