iPhone / iOS Thread

Yes, the iPhone 13 mini is pretty much peak iPhone.

It offers everything you need for a modern phone, with the blazing fast A15 Bionic chip, which means it will get updates for many more years. The form factor is the smallest you get in a modern phone, and the camera is excellent, the screen is great, honestly don't see the point of 120 hz that everyone is so hyped about. You won't find anything as small as that anywhere else, Android phones are almost exclusively larger than 6". Also the battery life should be really good, will easily get you through a day or even more on one charge, as long as it's not your main computing device and you don't live your life on the phone. I have a 12 mini, which has a worse battery than the 13 mini and I'm fine with that. I have had it since launch so more than two years and the battery health is 87 %.

The 13 mini is still current, so not discontinued, as Apple still sells it new in their store, will most likely hang around in the lineup at least to the iPhone 15 launch in the fall.

13 mini. I know it's been discontinued, but you might still be able to find one for sale in some store. The battery life is improved over the 12 mini (which had a bit lackluster battery life), the camera should be quite decent, and it's plenty fast and fluid. And it slots in size between the 5s and the 8.

Honestly, if I had the money, I would've bought one in May, but I settled for a used 11 Pro, which is still good. Actually, it probably suits my needs even better because of the added bonus of a telephoto camera and better battery life (now that I actually had the battery replaced, lol), and the size is still reasonably small, but I still need to take it back to the repair shop that replaced my battery to see what's wrong with the proximity sensor. Problems of buying used stuff.

EDIT: now I see eizbaer was faster, but yeah, I'd definitely recommend the 13 mini over the 12 mini, the battery life is better, and it should be easier to find one.
13 mini can still be bought sealed brand new condition. Better buy em now while stocks are available

Does anyone else use Deezer on an iPhone? And if so, does anyone experience unwanted swipes when you’re trying to click on one of the tracks on the first column of “Mixes inspired by…”?

Also, on a somewhat related note, boy oh boy, iOS 16 is such a crappy release. They better improve things for iOS 17, otherwise the iOS is kinda losing its charm of an OS that ‘just works’.

Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro is now on iPad:

View: https://youtu.be/0mqWw5UH1qg
MKBHD, and a bunch of other video-centric tech Youtubers, are probably happy with the iPad now.

Caveat: Final Cut Pro is only available on iPads with M1 chip or better. Logic Pro requires A12 Bionic or better.

Last edited:
My new 15 Pro arrived today and I've been playing around to see exactly what I can do with the USB-C, as Apple were a bit vague. So far I've found that:
  • Video output via a USB-C to HDMI adapter used with an iPad works, but appears to be limited to HDMI 1.4/1080p.
  • Video output via my Dell WD19 dock doesn't work, in fact the result is pretty horrifying.
  • Unsurprisingly, my Samsung T5 SSD works fine with its USB-C to USB-C cable and allows Prores LOG video to be recorded to it seamlessly. Being Prores and not Prores LT, 500GB is enough for 36 minutes of video.
  • A USB-C keyboard, plugged in with the same USB-C to USB-C cable, works great. Particularly good for logging back into some apps that didn't remember my passwords.
  • It'll charge with my old magnetic connectors but the data transfer isn't 100% with all devices, more on that at some point.
I've very happy with how light it is and the smaller size compared to the 12 Pro Max feels a lot better again. The higher screen refresh rate is very noticeable and is very welcome.

The action button is nice because I can remove the case without accidentally flipping the silent mode switch and then shitting myself when it makes an unexpected loud noise. The silent icon being permanently at the top is a bit annoying, I would've been fine with a dot in the dynamic island or something.

The island is nice and it's great that the earpiece speaker was moved up in the previous generations compared to the 12 Pro, so I don't need to have a hole in my screen protector that collects guff.

Going from 12MP to 24MP photos is nice, getting 48MP is honestly still too much of a ballache to be worth doing.

I haven't decided if I like always-on yet, I keep forgetting that I still need to wake it up to read a notification that's on the screen. Also it still turns off if it's not on a charger, which somewhat defeats the purpose.

But can you cook an egg on it ? :blowup:

or use a mouse

My iPhone 12 mini turns 3 years old very soon and the battery is starting to go a little bad at "just 85 %" health. Earlier this year I switched to my work's phone plan, meaning I get 100 gb monthly data and free everything else for a small monthly tax sum (€25). My work will also reimburse a new phone purchase every three years, so I purchased a discounted blue iPhone 13 mini with 256 gb storage from a reseller. The reason for this was to get a decently sized phone with a fresh new battery that I can keep for many years going forward until Apple one day hopefully comes back around and the current oversized-phone-fad has turned around.

I got the reimbursement approved earlier this week and I spent yesterday moving over to the 13 mini. That was not plain sailing. They were running different versions of iOS so the transfer took forever, and I had to abort it, connect it to my Mac and run recover and restore, before updating to iOS 17.0.2, and then set it up with a backup from iCloud. All of this took a while, but is finally done now.

My old iPhone 12 mini will be passed on to someone else, after I have had the battery replaced.

or use a mouse
Still no support for that it seems, which is a shame as Android has been able to do that for a long time.

My iPhone 12 mini turns 3 years old very soon and the battery is starting to go a little bad at "just 85 %" health. Earlier this year I switched to my work's phone plan, meaning I get 100 gb monthly data and free everything else for a small monthly tax sum (€25). My work will also reimburse a new phone purchase every three years, so I purchased a discounted blue iPhone 13 mini with 256 gb storage from a reseller. The reason for this was to get a decently sized phone with a fresh new battery that I can keep for many years going forward until Apple one day hopefully comes back around and the current oversized-phone-fad has turned around.

I got the reimbursement approved earlier this week and I spent yesterday moving over to the 13 mini. That was not plain sailing. They were running different versions of iOS so the transfer took forever, and I had to abort it, connect it to my Mac and run recover and restore, before updating to iOS 17.0.2, and then set it up with a backup from iCloud. All of this took a while, but is finally done now.

My old iPhone 12 mini will be passed on to someone else, after I have had the battery replaced.

iPhone SE 4 due soon?

And it will probably be negligibly different from the iPhone 15, and negligibly cheaper.

First of the comments pretty much nailed it:
For god's sake just throw an A17 and 6GB memory in a 13 mini and call it a day!
If they did that, and if it had USB-C (which it'd have to have anyway), I'd buy it.

To further expand on my thoughts, I do find the standard iPhone 12-15 size just a tad too large. My current 11 Pro is the perfect balance of being small and one-handable enough, while having a large enough screen for all the tasks. One of many reasons I'm not getting rid of it until I have to. But if I had to choose between an iPhone tad too small, and tad too big, I'd rather get a tad too small one.

Seems that the amount of screen protectors you need to buy is three. The first one is for training, the second one you'll mess up because you skip the part with the dust removal sticker, and then the third and final one which will be done properly.

I never had screen protectors before. My 3GS looked like absolute garbage after two years in my pocket but every iPhone I've had since then has fared better, as glass technology progressed. I always thought they were unnecessary and would ruin the feel of the screen etc. Then I scratched my 12 Pro after dropping it face down on a newly gritted snowy parking lot so this time I figured I'd rethink things a bit and protect my new investment.

Ridiculous name aside, the Spigen GLAS.tR EZ Fit seems good and came with good applicator tools. Price for a two-pack wasn't bad either.

I've never used a glass screen protector. Is it's feel identical to the naked screen?

Ridiculous name aside, the Spigen GLAS.tR EZ Fit seems good and came with good applicator tools. Price for a two-pack wasn't bad either.
Just fitted one of these to my iPhone 15, the application process was much easier than previous screen protectors. Previously on my iPhone 12 it took a couple of attempts to get them on right, but the ones we had at work for iPhone SEs went on easily with no issues. I forget the brand but they were very cheap.

I've never used a glass screen protector. Is it's feel identical to the naked screen?

Used them for years and usually there's no difference but this Spigen one seems to have a micro texture that you feel if your fingernail touches the screen, like it's dirty. Nothing you'd feel with your finger though. Glass protectors are much better than plastic, unless you want something like the paper texture I have on my iPad.