iPhone / iOS Thread

So Verizon is getting the iPhone 4 on Feb 10th.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/11/live-from-verizons-iphone-event/

I've got one thing to saw

Question from Ars Technica: what happens when you're on a call and need to use data?

Dan: Same as a CDMA device.

So... you don't.

Q: Experience is so paramount at Apple... GSM allows data and voice... how does that experience feel here?

Tim: I think people place different emphasis on things -- I can tell you that the number one question I've gotten is when will the iPhone work on Verizon. I couldn't be happier to tell people that. They will make those sorts of tradeoffs.

I can use data and voice at the same time on my AT&T iPhone. My 2.5 year old 3G thats hardly working in all other aspects.

:tease:

Last edited:
So Verizon is getting the iPhone 4 on Feb 10th.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/11/live-from-verizons-iphone-event/

I've got one thing to saw

I can use data and voice at the same time on my AT&T iPhone. My 2.5 year old 3G thats hardly working in all other aspects.

:tease:

Come to NYC and say that.... Coverage is good but data around Manhattan blows, its so slow might as well be sitting on dial up. Also some retarded coverage gaps around highways, top of Bear Mountain? Forget it.... VZ works in all those places uninterrupted. Besides this is a start and its a limitation of CDMA rather than VZ themselves, they are doing a fairly aggressive LTE roll out and iP5 is likely going to be LTE, which will take that limitation away.

I do gotta ask, how often do you need that functionality? I gotta say I almost never have to use both.

I have purchase Infinity Blade on the suggestion of Penny Arcade. Hope its good, I play more games on my iPod Touch than my ps3 or xbox 360. Toilet gaming FTW!

Come to NYC and say that.... Coverage is good but data around Manhattan blows, its so slow might as well be sitting on dial up. Also some retarded coverage gaps around highways, top of Bear Mountain? Forget it.... VZ works in all those places uninterrupted. Besides this is a start and its a limitation of CDMA rather than VZ themselves, they are doing a fairly aggressive LTE roll out and iP5 is likely going to be LTE, which will take that limitation away.

I do gotta ask, how often do you need that functionality? I gotta say I almost never have to use both.

I was in NYC a bunch over the summer. And to be honest, I've never ever had a problem with my coverage. Maybe its because my family has been with AT&T since 1999 so they give us their special full service. Everywhere I go, I get full 3G speeds (well, maybe not the full 7.2Mbps HSDPA since my iPhone can only handle 3.6Mbps), and I've only had one dropped call due to carrier. The only place where I don't get 3G is up north in New Hampshire or Vermont. The place I work at over the summer, I have a full EDGE signal, but my friends with their fancy Verizon Droids have no service at all. I think I've been without service only once, and that was in the middle of nowhere, Vermont.

I was in NYC a bunch over the summer. And to be honest, I've never ever had a problem with my coverage. Maybe its because my family has been with AT&T since 1999 so they give us their special full service. Everywhere I go, I get full 3G speeds (well, maybe not the full 7.2Mbps HSDPA since my iPhone can only handle 3.6Mbps), and I've only had one dropped call due to carrier. The only place where I don't get 3G is up north in New Hampshire or Vermont. The place I work at over the summer, I have a full EDGE signal, but my friends with their fancy Verizon Droids have no service at all. I think I've been without service only once, and that was in the middle of nowhere, Vermont.
Oh no your COVERAGE is great, practical speed is terrible. Not sure which areas you visited but by where I worked before (Ground Zero) and where I work now (Grand Central) it takes 30 minutes to update even the smallest app. It takes my IM+ an entire walk from a place where I get my bagel to my building to reconnect. We are talking a 2-3 minute walk. It's not like I have no bars either it would always show a full 3G signal. By the same token in my old job and my old building the only phones that worked in lunch room were VZ phones and I don't mean worked as in you had 1 bar and could send a txt, I mean full on conversations with no drops, couldn't even txt with the ATT phones (iPhones and BlackBerries)

This is not somethign I invented either Engadget mentioned it quite a bit too

Oh no your COVERAGE is great, practical speed is terrible. Not sure which areas you visited but by where I worked before (Ground Zero) and where I work now (Grand Central) it takes 30 minutes to update even the smallest app. It takes my IM+ an entire walk from a place where I get my bagel to my building to reconnect. We are talking a 2-3 minute walk. It's not like I have no bars either it would always show a full 3G signal. By the same token in my old job and my old building the only phones that worked in lunch room were VZ phones and I don't mean worked as in you had 1 bar and could send a txt, I mean full on conversations with no drops, couldn't even txt with the ATT phones (iPhones and BlackBerries)

This is not somethign I invented either Engadget mentioned it quite a bit too

Weird. I've never had problems with practical speeds in NYC either. I have family in Brooklyn and Manhattan, and the ONLY place I've ever had a problem with speeds was in the Battery Tunnel.

I have purchase Infinity Blade on the suggestion of Penny Arcade. Hope its good, I play more games on my iPod Touch than my ps3 or xbox 360. Toilet gaming FTW!

I haven't actually purchased any games yet, but seriously thinking about it. Anyone know if the iTunes store gift cards work across different currencies? I live in Japan but use the Australian store for English content, would a yen based card work?

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but I got a free app called Inception the other day, looks pretty interesting. It takes ambient sounds and morphs them, blending them with background music (the Inception link is the supposed dream inducing quality). I've only tried it once (my headphones broke) in a quiet place, you unlock different levels by using it in different places, while moving fast, in a noisy place, the night of a full moon etc.

And a complaint about the iPhone 4 design. I've only ever heard praise but a major annoyance for me is the symmetry. When you pull the phone out of your pocket you don't know which is the top, bottom, front or back. It's also very slippery and always slides off things, the sofa, the seat on the train etc. It drives me nuts. Those 2 things combined, and the lack of buttons, actually makes it more difficult to handle comfortably than it should be.

And a complaint about the iPhone 4 design. I've only ever heard praise but a major annoyance for me is the symmetry. When you pull the phone out of your pocket you don't know which is the top, bottom, front or back. It's also very slippery and always slides off things, the sofa, the seat on the train etc. It drives me nuts.
I agree completely, which is part of why I keep mine in a full case. The back is covered by the case, and therefor easily distinguished from the front by its matte plastic feel, and the bottom can be found by feeling for the Home button.

You are one lucky sonuvabitch :p

Indeed. I had pretty bad data speeds in NYC when I lived there, although T-Mo was even worse. It's nowhere near as bad as AT&T in San Francisco though. Turning off 3G is almost always necessary downtown and in the SoMa, Mission, and Castro areas.

I agree completely, which is part of why I keep mine in a full case. The back is covered by the case, and therefor easily distinguished from the front by its matte plastic feel, and the bottom can be found by feeling for the Home button.

While I'm sure that helps (I was expecting someone to tell me to buy a case), it's just another design weakness that could have been avoided in the first place. A beautiful piece of equipment that needs a case to improve the poor ergonomics (can't think of the correct term) and functional design (reception issues) that hides the beautiful looks doesn't make sense. What's the point in making it look good if it has to be covered all the time? Or making it so thin if it needs a bulky case?

Not to mention, the free case program ended just before I got my phone.

Don't mind me. Grumpy old man in action.

Last edited:
I've never bothered with cases. My two years with AT&T will be up at the end of the month so I might switch. I do hope they offer a reduced non unlimited plan. I've never gone over 150MB a month.

Weird. I've never had problems with practical speeds in NYC either. I have family in Brooklyn and Manhattan, and the ONLY place I've ever had a problem with speeds was in the Battery Tunnel.

This is from today.
Trying to reconnect my IM when I got into the office, this is like 4 tries too. Note the full 3G signal
40f49e51.jpg

This is the view from my window (just to give you an idea of location)
9d64a406.jpg

While I'm sure that helps (I was expecting someone to tell me to buy a case), it's just another design weakness that could have been avoided in the first place. A beautiful piece of equipment that needs a case to improve the poor ergonomics (can't think of the correct term) and functional design (reception issues) that hides the beautiful looks doesn't make sense. What's the point in making it look good if it has to be covered all the time? Or making it so thin if it needs a bulky case?
I agree completely, but I knew before I bought it that I would always want to keep it in a full case, so the design flaws don't bother me. It was the best product for me, despite the flaws.

This is from today.
Trying to reconnect my IM when I got into the office, this is like 4 tries too. Note the full 3G signal
[pic removed]

Yeah, the same happens all the time in parts of San Francisco (basically anywhere where there are lots of iPhones). Full 3G coverage, but no pages will load, or will go incredibly slowly if they do manage to load. Turing off 3G helps a little-- EDGE seems to be less overloaded. Actual phone calls are almost as unreliable, and even text messages can be iffy.

I'd wait until I can see what 5 looks like, before switching and such. Buyer's remorse is a bittccchh

+1 if 5 comes out with LTE and you bought the 4 you gonna be kicking yourself.

Why am I reminded of the very first gen iPhone? But such is technology, I've given up waiting for the next model, as there's always another one right after....

Why am I reminded of the very first gen iPhone? But such is technology, I've given up waiting for the next model, as there's always another one right after....
While I agree with you, in this particular case it would be somewhat stupid to buy the 4 on VZ now. For one the 4 is already halfway through its lifecycle, for two while the 5 is not likely to be that much better than the 4 (at this point most improvements would be software), it's reasonable to expect that it would have 4G connectivity. After all VZ is already rolling LTE out and ATT is going to start this year. In addition to it there is already a decent number of 4G enabled Android phones out there and they are already more than capable of competing with iOS add to that rate of development that Google has and it would be a very stupid choice for Apple not to go with LTE connectivity.

I don't know, I wouldn't be so sure. Wouldn't be surprised if we have to wait untill iPhone6, or whatever they're going to call it, for LTE.

Engadget claims to have some "insider information" saying that as of now there's no LTE "in the mix" for the iPhone5.. There is however a A9 derived multicore processor involved. But as usual, take it with a shitload of salt :p

Besides, is LTE really that big of a feature yet? I don't know how it is in the US, how far will they be along in 6 months?
I know that here in Denmark it's probably going to be quite limited what we have in that regard in 6 months - they're just now starting to roll out their 4G networks.

I don't know, I wouldn't be so sure. Wouldn't be surprised if we have to wait untill iPhone6, or whatever they're going to call it, for LTE.

Engadget claims to have some "insider information" saying that as of now there's no LTE "in the mix" for the iPhone5.. There is however a A9 derived multicore processor involved. But as usual, take it with a shitload of salt :p

Besides, is LTE really that big of a feature yet? I don't know how it is in the US, how far will they be along in 6 months?
I know that here in Denmark it's probably going to be quite limited what we have in that regard in 6 months - they're just now starting to roll out their 4G networks.

Here is the current VZ coverage map http://network4g.verizonwireless.com/#/coverage it's pretty much all of the major cities at the moment.