iPhone / iOS Thread

So if you go for the 2 I would think you'd have about 2 years or so, also most of the apps I see on App Store right now seem to be iOS 4+ so assuming that 2 will be supported with iOS7 and apps are 2 gens behind you can safely use it till about iOS9 so that would be around 4 years?

That is the greatest logic I've heard all day. And by that logic, in 4 years I'll be dying to upgrade to whatever super-HD-holographic-makes-you-a-sandwich device Apple has created anyway.

I would have actually bought a refurb iPad 3 (I think they were $379) but I waited too long and they've since sold out. From what I've read though, from iPad fanboys, is that the 3 struggled with the Retina display and processor combination. And again, I really don't care about the Retina display since I've never owned one to feel like I'm downgrading.

I think once I have a chance to play around with the Mini tomorrow my decision will become much easier. Its basically down to the 2nd gen, the Mini, or nothing. :dunno:

I got the 3, don't think it's struggling but it's just me... Still pissed about it being obsoleted 6 months after release :(

That is bullshit. Then again that is technology. But like I said, I would have bought the 3 refurbished in a heartbeat if I could do it again and it was articles from super-fanboys. Instead I waited too long so I could "think about it" and now I have to choose between a 2 and a Mini instead of a 3 and a Mini.

In the time it took from my original post about which iPad to get until now, the 2nd gen in white sold out after having 147 in stock. The black went from 160+ down to 62.

In 3 1/2 hours.

So I ordered one in black. :)

White was never an option :lol:

I actually like the way that it looks, but I feel the white bezel is distracting when looking at the screen for an extended amount of time.

And now the 3rd gens are back on Apple's site. Its ok though, I'll save my $60.

When it comes to color choices I'm with Henry Ford ;) Though I do like the Satin White Pearl on the WRX ;)

I still think it's weird that they dropped support for the first gen iPad. When they can continue to support the 3GS, what's stopping them from doing it with the iPad as well?

Maybe too small userbase to be deemed worthwhile? Might've been a beancounter decision.

Also, I just attended a 3 hour live coding session with a guy doing an iPhone app. An RSS reader to be specific. I'm quite impressed by how simple yet powerful Apple's GUI developer tool is. The Objective-C syntax is a bit of a challenge, when you're just getting the basics down in Java :p

So I decided to try using my cell data on my iPad 3 today and it wouldn't work and would show terrible coverage where I know for a fact coverage is good. Since I work right near the Apple store I went there they gave me a replacement and now I can't restore it from the icloud backup. It's showing my old iPhone 4 backup from September... Mind you iCloud itself CLEARLY has the backups (checked from phone, showing both iPad and IP5), deleting the iPhone 4 backup just causes it to say there are none... dafuq?

EDIT: found my answer, replacement had iOS 5 and backups were done with 6

Last edited:
So I decided to try using my cell data on my iPad 3 today and it wouldn't work and would show terrible coverage where I know for a fact coverage is good. Since I work right near the Apple store I went there they gave me a replacement and now I can't restore it from the icloud backup. It's showing my old iPhone 4 backup from September... Mind you iCloud itself CLEARLY has the backups (checked from phone, showing both iPad and IP5), deleting the iPhone 4 backup just causes it to say there are none... dafuq?

EDIT: found my answer, replacement had iOS 5 and backups were done with 6

Was it a Verizon iPad or a AT&T? In any case i'm impressed (per usual) with Apple's customer service. Try that with a Dell kiosk or (back in the day..Gateway Country Store...remember those?) and you'd be laughed out the store or asked to have it shipped out. Either way you'd not have a replacement right away (if at all).

It's a VZ one and I found some info that suggests this is the VZ "sim burning" issue because aparently VZ is a bunch of morons so I didn't really need a replacement. Oh well :p

I've got a weird bug, when I make or receive a phone call and don't quit the the phone app (double click on the home button, hold the app, press delete) I can't make a phone call afterwards, it immediately says "call ended" and when people try to call me they instantly get my voicemail message. The only way to fix this is rebooting the phone. Any ideas what might be causing this?

I'm not sure what would cause it, but that sounds like something that the "Reset Network Settings" option (in the General -> Reset part of the Settings) might be able to fix.

If that doesn't fix it then I would restore the phone, bearing in mind that restoring a backup of the phone might reintroduce the issue (I've seen that happen with 3G connectivity issues).

I'm afraid I'll have to restore the phone. I already asked Apple Support after the first time it happened and they suggested resetting the network settings. But as it turns out the problem isn't gone. Thanks for your help :)

Power button stopped working on my 4S. Well, it still works, its just pushed in and needs to e pressed really really hard for it to activate. Don't know how that happened since I haven't dropped my phone in months - especially since the last time I remember the power button working (a few hours ago).

Ordered the iPhone toolkit off eBay for $3. I'm hoping I'll be able to take my phone apart and just push the power button module back up to where its supposed to be (assuming thats the problem).

Re: iPhone / iOS Thread

Power button stopped working on my 4S. Well, it still works, its just pushed in and needs to e pressed really really hard for it to activate. Don't know how that happened since I haven't dropped my phone in months - especially since the last time I remember the power button working (a few hours ago).

Ordered the iPhone toolkit off eBay for $3. I'm hoping I'll be able to take my phone apart and just push the power button module back up to where its supposed to be (assuming thats the problem).

It's likely that that's the issue. The Droid 1 and 2 are notorious for having the springs that keep the button pushed up fail or move out of position after a while. It makes using the phone a awful thing. So far in my use of the 3rd gen, things remain nice and clicky.

Home button's on iPhones are crap. Apparently they've change its design on the iPhone 5, hopefully it's more durable than the one on 4/4S/iPads.

I've got the excact same problem on mine, let me know how it turns out for you. I think I ended up concluding that it probably needs a new part, but if it's something simple, then I might as well do it myself. It's rather expensive to get fixed, and given the fact that the button still, technically, works, I've been too cheap to do anything about it.

It is glorious to borrow a phone where it works though. So smooth and easy :p

Home button's on iPhones are crap. Apparently they've change its design on the iPhone 5, hopefully it's more durable than the one on 4/4S/iPads.

I actually haven't seen any 4S's having Home button problems, but the 4.. Almost guaranteed to happen within a year or two. I have no idea if they actually changed anything though, so we'll see :) Crossing my fingers for my 4S.

Last edited:

Hope so because on the 4 the home button was pretty much useless by the time I was ready to get the 5. iPad is not that critical since you can just use gestures.