iPhone / iOS Thread

That's total crap. They should be called 3.5G if anything.

Why would they call it 3.5G? The term has been 3.9G for a while and now ITU has changed their standards for what is considered 4G. The #G is a completely arbitrary standard and the previous definition made no sense whatsoever since those speeds can't even be achieved in WLAN environments much less a WWAN.

Is it possible to recover music from an iphone without JB? if so what app do I need (free if possible)

Try Senuti. It's not free, but you can do 1000 songs with the demo.

A few months ago I was trying to update my 3gs to OS4.1 and it was a major pain in the ass. I got pissed at Apple and when I finally updated to 4.1 I also jailbroke my iPhone. Since then its been pretty laggy. I don't know if that's because of OS4.1 or because of the jailbreak but its starting to annoy me more and more.

1) So which is to blame for the lag, OS or jailbreak?
2) Since I don't remember which apps I got through the app store and which through cydia, is there a way to check that? Before I go back to stock (or however you want to call it), I'd like to know which apps I will lose (aka which ones I got thanks to the jailbreak).

Thoughts?

Any thoughts on why one of my friends' 2g iPhone shows as turned off when I call him, even though the phone is on? And after a while it works again.

i bought my 3gs almost right before apple released the iphone 4 and iOS 4 (still prefer the old name for some reason), but, as of recent, couldn't update apps on the iphone and had to do it through itunes. I did not upgrade to iOS 4 and stuck with 3.1.3, but not being able to update apps on the phone is a bit annoying. the error was a check date and time and it is correct but still wouldn't let me do it which is really weird.

i bought my 3gs almost right before apple released the iphone 4 and iOS 4 (still prefer the old name for some reason), but, as of recent, couldn't update apps on the iphone and had to do it through itunes. I did not upgrade to iOS 4 and stuck with 3.1.3, but not being able to update apps on the phone is a bit annoying. the error was a check date and time and it is correct but still wouldn't let me do it which is really weird.

Why not update to 4.1? There is literally no reason to still use the old version.

Any thoughts on why one of my friends' 2g iPhone shows as turned off when I call him, even though the phone is on? And after a while it works again.

Seems to be a generic iPhone problem by the sounds of things. When people try to phone me (I have an iPhone 4), it sometimes doesn't show up that anyone has tried to call me and eventually when they do get through, they are quite angry as they think I have been ignoring them. It never happened at all with my old 3G though.

Seems to be a generic iPhone problem by the sounds of things. When people try to phone me (I have an iPhone 4), it sometimes doesn't show up that anyone has tried to call me and eventually when they do get through, they are quite angry as they think I have been ignoring them. It never happened at all with my old 3G though.

That's exactly what he's experiencing.

That's exactly what he's experiencing.

As far as I am aware, there isn't a solution of sorts yet. Will probably have to wait until the next software update, which might be a problem for him if he has a 2G as they've effectively dropped support for it now. Just have to go with it at the moment I'm afraid.

A few months ago I was trying to update my 3gs to OS4.1 and it was a major pain in the ass. I got pissed at Apple and when I finally updated to 4.1 I also jailbroke my iPhone. Since then its been pretty laggy. I don't know if that's because of OS4.1 or because of the jailbreak but its starting to annoy me more and more.

1) So which is to blame for the lag, OS or jailbreak?
2) Since I don't remember which apps I got through the app store and which through cydia, is there a way to check that? Before I go back to stock (or however you want to call it), I'd like to know which apps I will lose (aka which ones I got thanks to the jailbreak).

Thoughts?
1) If you've installed a bunch of MobleSubstrate plugins, probably the jailbreak, but who knows?
2) Assuming you haven't installed cydelete, hold an icon until they all start wiggling. The ones without an (X) icon are either pre-installed by Apple or Jailbreak apps.

Why not update to 4.1? There is literally no reason to still use the old version.

Just that personally feel that once you go beyond 3.1.3 on the 3gs it significantly slows the phone down. I don't use a lot of apps, so it doesn't bother me that much. If I do update the OS, it'll probably with the iPhone 5 or beyond or the new iPod Touch. But that app update problem. oh well...

Damn, I just had that with my iphone 4. It was sitting on the couch and I got 2 messages in a row saying the missus tried to call but there was no call, signal should have been good (I got the mails), I wasn't using the phone.

Anyone know anything more about this?

Just that personally feel that once you go beyond 3.1.3 on the 3gs it significantly slows the phone down. I don't use a lot of apps, so it doesn't bother me that much. If I do update the OS, it'll probably with the iPhone 5 or beyond or the new iPod Touch. But that app update problem. oh well...

My gf's 3GS runs fine on 4.2. There's no reason not to update.

Updating to 4.3 seems a little iffy but I think I've worked out how you can do it without having any issues:

- Make sure you first update iTunes (the newest is 10.2 I believe)
- When it's updated make sure the syncing profile with your iDevice is working (sync a couple of times to make sure)
- Download and update

:)

Not sure if this would be the right place to put this, but I need a good program to convert avi files to mp4 to transfer to my iPad. Either PC or Mac based. Thanks