iPhone / iOS Thread

If I had an iPhone 4, I'd absolutely do this.

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyrussian540/2011/09/13/IMG_1648.jpg
https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyrussian540/2011/09/13/_wsb_499x344_IMG_1649.JPG

At this moment in time, the final design has been implemented and the mod is in the testing phase to eliminate any unforseen issues and to generally road test the product for durability and safety. We expect to release the mod to the public before mid October, at an estimated price of ?50 - ?100 depending on mass production costs. What iPatch can confirm and to also help answer many of the questions we are constantly receiving is that:

It has had no noticable drop in battery performance in day to day use
It does not cause any heating of the rear case
The light goes off when the screen goes off. This means it will not glow when you are on a normal call and have the phone to your ear or have the phone on standby
The light effect is an evenly distributed glow, much like the apple symbol on the rear of a macbook lid
It does illuminate when you receive a text or call, or when your alarm sounds
It does not cause any change in thickness to the phone or result in any light leakage around the frame
The glass plate used is that from a standard iPhone 4 and is, therefore, available in black and white (or even custom colours if required)
The colour of the apple logo can be changed by applying a colour filter and its intensity can be reduced by reducing the front LCD brightness. There are other, currently classified, mods that may be possible too depending on testing. Currently, when the light is off, the apple has a frosted glass appearance but this may change to reflective silver, if possible, to maintain the original look of the iPhone
The camera function is completely unaffected either with or without flash
Plans are to release an export franchise kit which will be available to trained repairers abroad. It is by no means simple to replicate and would not be advisable to attempt without the expertise and knowledge of how the iPhone functions at a circuitry level. Details of how to participate will be released in the future
It will void any warranty with apple but the modification is fully reversible, returning the iPhone exactly back to how it was (at a smaller additional cost)
It will come with iPatch's standard 90 day warranty so if anything goes wrong, you are covered
International orders are welcomed although please be aware of the delivery scale and costs
It looks, quite frankly, awesome!

http://www.ipatchonline.co.uk/iPhone_4_apple_illumination_mod.html

Should be called iOS 5 now :) downloading at the moment 2 hours left, Apple servers getting raped + crappy work internet == fail.

I'm in the download process as well :) Currently claiming 55 minutes to go. After this I pretty much just need SBSettings end infinifolders from my jailbreak. So I think I can manage without for a while, especially if I clean up in my games folder. Tons of crap in there :p

Installed yesterday on my new 32GB iP4 after my 3GS bricked and I couldn't wait until the end of the month for the 4S - It's probably my favourite iOS to-date, I love the notifications centre.

Just finishing up installation. The improvements are, as usual with Apple, really slick. The notification center is great.

It really brings iOS more up to date. Proper notifications has been long over due :)

Finished the install and ofc Apple couldn't have NOT fucked SOMETHING up. The lock screen notification are only there until the phone is unlocked so if you unlock your phone cuz someone called all those txts/emails/calendar/etc are no longer there. You have to unlock and go into notification center.... This in turn means that I still have to use the badges which I always hated. Also ofcourse despite what was shown in WWDC there is no weather on the lock screen at all... Come on Apple if you are stealing shit from the JB community do it right its not that fucking hard.

Priz, it was like that in iOS 4 as well.
Yep, the thing is that what they showed off at WWDC looked a hell of a lot like LockInfo app from Cydia, it had the weather and stocks on top and notifications on the bottom. The way it currently is just notifications and they get auto dismissed on unlock (they do stay in notification center). It kinda limits utility of having info on the lock screen as answering a call will wipe everything off and you will still have to go unlock to see them. But hey we get custom txt message sounds now...

iCloud just says "there was a problem completing the backup. Please try again later".

Perhaps their servers are getting hammered.

is it just me or is iMessage a complete mess?

I mean really, they should of kept it as a separate app where you send messages to each other using your appleID as your address. In much the same way that BBM requires a separate pin instead of using a load of phone numbers and emails that you have saved in your contacts so you haven't got any idea which ones iMessage friendly.

As it is, its muxed in with standard messages and its just seems like a right hash. I've just spent the last hour trying to get iMessage to actually work. Apparently its supposed to use your actual phone number as your prime send/receive ID, but when I go to iMessage my GF, via the phone number I have saved (including country code, exactly as it is displayed on her iPhone in her phones message settings) it defaults straight to standard text message. If I initiate a text choosing her verified email it does pick up that it is iMessage and it fires away, but on her phone it looks as if its coming from my phone number so the two message streams are mixed, yet on my phone I have 2 separate message threads, one for iMessage one for SMS.

Just now we had a situation where if I used her phone number as an address i got the default SMS, where as if she used my phone number as the address she got the iMessage route. When she chose my verified email as an address that defaulted to SMS and actually sent a .txt file containing her message to my actual email account!!!

it seems, that to get it to default to iMessage you have to send a message from your phone via each of your caller ID's so that the other phone actually realises that these addresses can accept iMessages otherwise it will default to SMS. So after she deleted my message history on her phone and initiated a new condo using my phone number I get an iMessage from her phone number and it now recognises that the phone number is iMessage capable. I switched wifi and 3G off and got her to send more messages.... it takes a while but it does eventually come through as an SMS.

Anyway, what I just typed above probably sounds incoherent.... and thats exactly how I would describe iMessage. Its a mess.

We also share an iPad and trying to message of that is a lesson in pain. I can't get it to sign into her AppleID, so using mine... to effectively message myself, every message sent on the iPad shows up on my phone as per usual, but it also gets immediately repeated on the iPad too as a reply.

So yeah, iMessage.... looks like a total hack job. Whatsapp messenger basically got it right and I think I'll be sticking to that. Apple should of just bought those guys out and rebranded the app, would of been a heck of lot simpler.

Now that our emails and phone numbers rightly show up as blue when connected to wifi... I am now stumped as to how you switch back to SMS (i.e. if you wanted to switch back to SMS for data limit reasons)

Last edited:
OK so after using iOS5 for a little bit I have a mini review of new features.
- Notfication center, a nice addition but certain things still missing, dismissing a notification from NC doesn't dismiss app badges or mark things as read. There is no ability to choose individual mail accounts that you want showing up on the lock screen (anyone who uses their phone for work/personal would appreciate it). As I said before notifications on the lock screen are auto dismissed on unlock, not ideal also no ability to dismiss notifications from lock screen w/o unlocking. Lack of widgets is disappointing as well. Still a huge improvement over what it used to be.

- iMessage, BBM really no OS X client makes it a little cumbersome, Google Talk allows me to pick up chats from any device I'm on not just iOS so I still prefer that. On the plus side photos and videos are very simple and group chat can be somewhat fun

- iCloud stuff, don't use most of it since I use Gmail for my personal e-mail and corporate Exchange for work all of my contacts/calendars/emails are auto synced no matter what. Do see it as a nice feature, I like find my phone and find my Mac.

- Find my friends, faster latitude, allows to query friend devices to get exact location right now.

- Location reminders, tried once, didn't work at all. One major issue is the fact that you cannot put in an address, it easier has to be in your contacts or current location, less than ideal. Nice feature would be to allow to do more than just set reminders, for instance have it txt someone when you are near their house.

- New e-mail features. Two words: Apple fail... In order to flag an e-mail you have to open the actual e-mail, hit on details, hit mark, hit flag. On the Android phone there is a little star next to the e-mail that you touch to mark it. I had to mark like 10 e-mails this morning on my phone, wasn't fun....

All in all, not nearly as much of an improvement as I was expecting but still pretty good.

I agree with your views. Some of the things seem kind of lacking, at least for now. iMessage isn't really something I bother with, I'm on a free texts plan, so cost saving isn't an issue in that respect.

Find my Friends seems like a handy app, though I haven't actually tried it since I don't really know anyove else who has upgraded yet :p

Location reminders failed to remind me as well. Not sure why. Thought it was because I had also set a time on it, don't know if that makes a difference.

For me, iOS5 is a very nice update, I don't use my phone for anything work related, I only have one gmail account, so mail does plenty for me.

The lockscreen features aren't really very useful. You can double tap home on the lockscreen and a camera button pops up.. Trouble is, that pretty much takes just as long as unlocking and tapping the camera app, at least it does for me.

Oh, and I want them to open up for 3rd party widgets for the Notification center.

I've had no issues at all with iMessage. Works flawlessly. Been chatting a lot to my dad and sister with it.

My local Apple Store was sold out of 4S's when I went there this afternoon - didn't have any opportunities to go there earlier :(

My biggest complaint about iOS 5.0 is that you can't move Newsstand into a folder.

P
I've had no issues at all with iMessage. Works flawlessly. Been chatting a lot to my dad and sister with it.

My local Apple Store was sold out of 4S's when I went there this afternoon - didn't have any opportunities to go there earlier :(

My biggest complaint about iOS 5.0 is that you can't move Newsstand into a folder.

Yes! Just tried that! I don't need it, I don't want it, let me move it for Christ sake!