iPhone / iOS Thread

The lockscreen features aren't really very useful. You can double tap home on the lockscreen and a camera button pops up.. Trouble is, that pretty much takes just as long as unlocking and tapping the camera app, at least it does for me.
Strange its very quick on mine, actually quicker than starting up camera app normally from an unlocked phone. Do you have the 3Gs? Could explain.
Oh, and I want them to open up for 3rd party widgets for the Notification center.
+1 also for lock screen. At least weather....
I've had no issues at all with iMessage. Works flawlessly. Been chatting a lot to my dad and sister with it.
It works very well and its nice in a sense that you are not using up your txts and can put videos/pics in it very easily but its just not as universal as google talk (or facebook chat, or aim or MSN or w/e) since its iOS only.
My biggest complaint about iOS 5.0 is that you can't move Newsstand into a folder.
To quote Obama "YES WE CAN!" but it's a bit tricky. Basically the trick is that you have to put it in there as the folder is getting created. So you line up 3 icons in a row Newstand and 2 others, then you drag one of the other two on top of the other and REAL fast drag NS onto it as the folder is created. It will put it in the folder but it won't actually show up in there. Also if you try to run it from folder you will break things, didn't try myself can't tell you what it breaks but that's what I read. I managed on my first try but you gotta be quick.

I did forget about newsstand.
- Newsstand utterly useless very small selection of magazines, makes no sense on an iPhone due to a very tiny screen and just like iBooks doesn't have an OS X counterpart. In the world where Kindle and Nook both have apps for every single platform (well OK maybe not for Linux) iBooks and Newsstand fail miserably.

Last edited:
I have an iPhone4, and what I meant was, the act of double tapping, and then tapping the camera button is taking me pretty much just as long as sliding and tapping the camera app. There is a slight difference in how quickly the app then opens, but it feels very slight indeed for me. Why can't there be something like multiple slide thingies, and one takes you straight to the camera/any other app? There's a lot of potential in the lockscreen, and they aren't taking advantage of it.

Well shit. Just got my 4S in the mail (literally 5 minutes ago) and now I have to go to the Apple Store. I got a faulty screen and/or backlight :(

Luckily the closest Apple store is only a 15 min walk from here.

Last edited:
Oh, that's unfortunate. Fingers crossed they can take care of you right away.

To quote Obama "YES WE CAN!" but it's a bit tricky. Basically the trick is that you have to put it in there as the folder is getting created. So you line up 3 icons in a row Newstand and 2 others, then you drag one of the other two on top of the other and REAL fast drag NS onto it as the folder is created. It will put it in the folder but it won't actually show up in there. Also if you try to run it from folder you will break things, didn't try myself can't tell you what it breaks but that's what I read. I managed on my first try but you gotta be quick.

I heard the phone reboots or goes to the lock screen if you try to run Newsstand from inside a folder. Not worth doing at the moment. Kinda sucky.

- Newsstand utterly useless very small selection of magazines, makes no sense on an iPhone due to a very tiny screen and just like iBooks doesn't have an OS X counterpart. In the world where Kindle and Nook both have apps for every single platform (well OK maybe not for Linux) iBooks and Newsstand fail miserably.

Newsstand makes sense for tablets, but as you mention, it's a fairly pointless application on any mobile phone due to small screen size.

The local Apple Store had a sign saying that they would 'regularly' get new deliveries of 4S's, but what the hell does that mean? Tomorrow? 2 weeks? Kinda stupid sign. I'm dependant on getting it in the store because I'm not home during the day, ergo not able to take delivery from DHL or whatever.

Last edited:
I heard the phone reboots or goes to the lock screen if you try to run Newsstand from inside a folder. Not worth doing at the moment. Kinda sucky.

Newsstand makes sense for tablets, but as you mention, it's a fairly pointless application on any mobile phone due to small screen size.

Well, if you're not going to run it, but just want to hide it, then I think it's worth it :p Why excactly is it we're not able to do this properly?

I don't really know why, but somehow my iPhone 4 feels a bit zippier after upgrading to iOS 5. Feature-wise, I very much like the new notifications. The iMessage is an excellent idea, but I chat with people through Whatsapp, as that works on other phones as well.

I have an iPhone4, and what I meant was, the act of double tapping, and then tapping the camera button is taking me pretty much just as long as sliding and tapping the camera app. There is a slight difference in how quickly the app then opens, but it feels very slight indeed for me. Why can't there be something like multiple slide thingies, and one takes you straight to the camera/any other app? There's a lot of potential in the lockscreen, and they aren't taking advantage of it.
Oh OK I see what you mean. I have a passcode so for me the camera from lock is actually a pretty large speed difference.
What I don't understand is why no OS X version? IMO that is a competitive disadvantage between it and Kindle/Nook. I have a first gen Nook, I can start reading something on it, then move to my phone read some more on it, go to the work PC read some there, get on my laptop and read there as well, this is Nook>iOS>Windows>OS X. I understand why Apple may not want to release Windows versions of their apps but OS X is their product....

Oh, that's unfortunate. Fingers crossed they can take care of you right away.

Well its over 2 hours later and I'm still here at the Apple Store. So whats been happening? I got here and there was still a huge line for the 4S, but since I wasn't buying one, I went to the front and started talking to the guy helping people at the door. He told me that because I ordered it at store.apple.com I couldn't get a brand new replacement since Apple Retail was a whole different entity, and that the best they could do would be to get me a service replacement (what ever that means), but that would take 30 minutes. They also told me that I could call 1800MYAPPLE and try to figure stuff out with them. So I figured I'd call the number, and arrange for them to overnight me a new phone and then get out of the store. But no, the guy on the phone said the quickest return/replace he could get me would be 4 weeks at best (and that some people who preordered won't even get their first phones until November). So yeahhhh... fuck that option. So I started trying to deal with the Apple Store trying to get that so-called service replacement. After a while of thinking and having meetings, the guys got me a brand new 4S, still sealed and everything (something they weren't supposed to do, but I'm not going to complain). They then directed me to the sales people to check out, but they couldn't do so because they couldn't switch my ATT registration to the new phone because of the whole online/retail difference. They went back into their back room to see what they could do, and about 45 minutes later came out saying that they switched my phone, but since it wasn't a conventional replacement just to be on the safe side they said I should check with the ATT reps (who conveniently were there to deal with issues). So I go to them, they ask me for my number, last 4 digits of my dad's SSN (he is the primary account holder), and zip code. Now comes the fun part, they told me I am not authorized to do anything on the account because I am not an "authorized user" whatever that means. I told them that I am infact an authorized user, I have an account, I have a password, I have full control of my plan, I can upgrade, add new lines, delete lines, change rate plans etc. They said that is different and that an "authorized user" is one that has control over things that effect the financial side of things - not just have a login. I repeated that I have full access to every aspect of the plan and can do anything, but wasn't good enough for them. I argued with them for a solid 10 minutes saying that I do have full control of the account and that I can even delete my dad's line if I so wanted to, but they said that because I'm not my dad, and thats that. So I then called my dad to get me added to the account, but thats taking ages since everyone is calling ATT right now. My family has been with Cingular/ATT for over 12 years now, and this is the first time we're having issues with them trying to pull this kind of crap.

tl;dr summary, the Apple guys are amazing, they jumped through hoops and bent all the rules to get me a new phone ASAP. The ATT reps and their goddam bureaucracy are the fucking devil.

Also, I'm using a 21.5" iMac right now with the Mighty Super Mouse (or whatever the full touch one is) and wow I hate all this crap. I may love the iPhone and iPod (iPad though.. ehhhhh), but there is no way in hell I'm switching to Mac.

Last edited:
Well its over 2 hours later and I'm still here at the Apple Store. So whats been happening? I got here and there was still a huge line for the 4S, but since I wasn't buying one, I went to the front and started talking to the guy helping people at the door. He told me that because I ordered it at store.apple.com I couldn't get a brand new replacement since Apple Retail was a whole different entity, and that the best they could do would be to get me a service replacement (what ever that means), but that would take 30 minutes. They also told me that I could call 1800MYAPPLE and try to figure stuff out with them. So I figured I'd call the number, and arrange for them to overnight me a new phone and then get out of the store. But no, the guy on the phone said the quickest return/replace he could get me would be 4 weeks at best (and that some people who preordered won't even get their first phones until November). So yeahhhh... fuck that option. So I started trying to deal with the Apple Store trying to get that so-called service replacement. After a while of thinking and having meetings, the guys got me a brand new 4S, still sealed and everything (something they weren't supposed to do, but I'm not going to complain). They then directed me to the sales people to check out, but they couldn't do so because they couldn't switch my ATT registration to the new phone because of the whole online/retail difference. They went back into their back room to see what they could do, and about 45 minutes later came out saying that they switched my phone, but since it wasn't a conventional replacement just to be on the safe side they said I should check with the ATT reps (who conveniently were there to deal with issues). So I go to them, they ask me for my number, last 4 digits of my dad's SSN (he is the primary account holder), and zip code. Now comes the fun part, they told me I am not authorized to do anything on the account because I am not an "authorized user" whatever that means. I told them that I am infact an authorized user, I have an account, I have a password, I have full control of my plan, I can upgrade, add new lines, delete lines, change rate plans etc. They said that is different and that an "authorized user" is one that has control over things that effect the financial side of things - not just have a login. I repeated that I have full access to every aspect of the plan and can do anything, but wasn't good enough for them. I argued with them for a solid 10 minutes saying that I do have full control of the account and that I can even delete my dad's line if I so wanted to, but they said that because I'm not my dad, and thats that. So I then called my dad to get me added to the account, but thats taking ages since everyone is calling ATT right now. My family has been with Cingular/ATT for over 12 years now, and this is the first time we're having issues with them trying to pull this kind of crap.

tl;dr summary, the Apple guys are amazing, they jumped through hoops and bent all the rules to get me a new phone ASAP. The ATT reps and their goddam bureaucracy are the fucking devil.

Also, I'm using a 21.5" iMac right now with the Mighty Super Mouse (or whatever the full touch one is) and wow I hate all this crap. I may love the iPhone and iPod (iPad though.. ehhhhh), but there is no way in hell I'm switching to Mac.

I can say say many bad things about Apple, but one of the definite huge benefits is the great service in the Apple Stores - I have really good experience with them aswell, altho the knowledge level can wary a lot from sales person to sales person.

3 hours later. A WORKING PHONE!

Some of us have a passcode protecting their iPhone and the camera app stored inside of a folder (infact every single one of my apps is inside of a folder). Unlocking my phone and launching the camera app takes me a significantly longer amount of time than just hitting the camera icon on the home screen.

I for one absolutely love the feature.

Last edited:

I still can't get rid of the newsstand icon. And yes, I agree, Newsstand is useless at the moment until more subscriptions move over to the new "format". Multitouch gestures are kind of cool on the iPad but until its more deeply integrated (e.g. Safari) its gimmicky at best.

Overall, very subtle update on the iPad.

Last edited:
I managed to get newstand into a folder on my first try. It crashes Springboard if you tap newstand but whatever -- I never use it anyway.

So I managed to get NS into a folder to see if I could do it, then I pulled it out (going to rearrange all icons later). For now I'm looking through what NS has to offer, and a subscription of AutoWeek @ $4.99/year? That sounds damn good to me. I'm currently paying something along the lines of $15/year for 26 paper issues. That said, if I switch, I loose the "actually having the magazine in my hands" aspect.

EDIT: Downloaded the free trail issue of AutoWeek. The screen is way to small for this shit. Throwing NS into some folder where it'll be out of the way.

Last edited:
Siri ported to iPhone 4

[video=youtube;N-OnZCywaII]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-OnZCywaII&feature=player_embedded[/video]

1: The iPhone in the first vid was SLOW.

2: Why is he not speaking to it? That's what I came to see.

It's an interesting prospect though, is Siri actually becomes available and functional on iPhone4.

So, I caved in and ordered a 4S online anyway. White 16GB. Should arrive in 1-2 weeks according to the website. :dunno:

1: The iPhone in the first vid was SLOW.

2: Why is he not speaking to it? That's what I came to see.

It's an interesting prospect though, is Siri actually becomes available and functional on iPhone4.
When they did it the first time they didn't get the GPU drivers working right so it was slow, they figured it out since. The only problem is that Apple servers are not authenticating Siri on 4.