iPhone / iOS Thread

iPhone / iOS Thread

Is iOS 6 jail broken yet? A quick peak at red snow and green poison doesn't show any thing promising.

iPhone / iOS Thread

Is iOS 6 jail broken yet? A quick peak at red snow and green poison doesn't show any thing promising.

TL;DR: check http://jailbrea.kr/

Long version:
It's complicated. If you're using a device that supports the Limera1n exploit, every version of iOS will be jail breakable tethered. This means if you have an iPhone 4 or 3GS or an iPod Touch 4, you can jailbreak iOS 6, but you have to connect to a computer to make the jailbreak work after rebooting. Regular phone usage _should_ work without booting tethered but it depends on if you have mobilesubatrate plugins.

I've been running my iPhone 4 on jailbroken iOS 6 since shortly after iOS 6 came out, and it's reasonably stable. Many tweaks aren't updated for iOS 6, I assume because the newer devices can't be used, but several important ones like BiteSMS have, and more are slowly becoming compatible. You'd do best to check whether your favorite tweaks work before upgrading, and make sure you have your shsh blobs stored for 5.x so you can downgrade if you want.

What is it with Apple and Bluetooth?

I paired my iPad to to my Logitech Bluetooth adapter that is hooked up to my stereo. Everything went well. The iPad gets taken out of range (with Bluetooth still on) and now the only way to reconnect is to forget the Logitech adapter and pair it again.

I thought maybe you would need to turn Bluetooth off before going out of range, then once you were back in range you would turn Bluetooth on and everything would be great. Nope.

Am I doing something wrong here that I'm not picking up on? This is my first iOS device so I'm hoping this is just a rookie move and there's an easy fix..

From Apple's own support page:

:lol: So true.

edit: It seems that if the device I'm trying to connect to is completely turned off, then turned back on then the iPad will connect to it. That's logical.. :?

I'm not climbing behind my cabinet to unplug then plug back in the audio adapter every time I want to stream something from the iPad. Screw that.
Was gonna say that its weird but then I realized that I only use it with my car and the car turns off before I get out of range usually. Tho the few times I left it on it reconnected just fine. A2DP generally has issues and is very device dependent. I had a ton of issues reconnecting the MacBook to my Plantronics BT headphones but have no problem with the LGs. On the flip side the former worked absolutely perfectly with my Windows box...

Just noticed this the past few days on my iPad.

When I go to Google, while using Chrome, and I tap in the search box to begin typing, the keyboard comes up and quickly goes away again. This happens 9 times out of 10.

Does anyone know what's going on here? I made sure I wasn't accidentally double tapping the screen or touching it anywhere else. Also, if I tap and hold my finger there for a second the keyboard stays on screen. :dunno:

I wonder nobody seemingly uses the "do not disturb"-feature since from January 1st to 7th it simply didn't work: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4510 - fortunately I don't use it as an alarm since my alarm clock does that just fine...

Besides that, my iPhone 4S (iOS 6.0.1, didn't do anything to it since it's a work phone) sometimes doesn't let me pick up phone calls, be it via sliding to the side or sliding up and press the appearing pick up-icon. Does anybody have that, too? My boss said maybe I should reboot the phone every week or so - he does it and doesn't have any issues with not being able to pick up calls while I reboot it maybe once a month.

DND doesn't disable the alarm, does it?

Only place I use bluetooth is in the car and I have no problem with not being able to reconnect. Could be because the car throws an error and asks me to press a button to reconnect if it ever drops out of range. Which is doesn't unless I start the car to warm it up and actually leave it.

I left for work once, couldn't remember grabbing my phone as I went out, but figured it had to be somewhere on me since the car went *ding* and paired. Then as I drove away from the parking lot it dropped off. Turns out it was in my bedroom. Good range. :lol:

Yeah DnD doesn't stop the alarm just suppresses notifications, the thing I like about it is that unlike vibrate I can allow calls to go through since this is the number work calls if there are major issues and I'm technically always on call.

I use BT in the car and with my headphones, never really had a problem with going out of range and coming back but I hear that BT is a huge crapshoot in general with each implementation being a tiny bit different.

Bah. iOS 6.1 ruined the audio control on the home screen.

It was so much better with with the media control under the time instead of in place of it. Way to go Apple. Way to make things worse yet again.

Last edited:
WTF, there's much more dead space now, with smaller icons and stuff! Or is the artist name blurred in that screenshot?

One thing I never got is why does it never put the scrubbing controls on the lock screen.

My phone decided to lose all cell reception today, according to the internets its relatively common on the 5 and there isn't really any fix. Sometimes restarting helps, resetting network settings, doing a full restore, getting the entire phone replaced are all possible fixes. Ended up doing restart, network reset and full phone reset that last one helped for now...

OK, been using the big-ass iPad now for a week and I've concluded that the Nexus 7 or iPad mini is a much better form factor for me.

I'm having an issue with my iPhone 5 and dropbox. I have the automatic camera upload feature of dropbox turned on so it uploads any photos I take.

Yesterday, I went to download a picture from my dropbox (not a photo) to my iphone and It would only download to the camera roll folder. This means that the auto upload feature would pick that picture up as a new photo and upload it. I tried moving the photo to a different folder other than the camera roll but it only copies it and doesn't actually move it. That means that when I try to delete the copy in the camera roll, it deletes the moved copy as well.

It also appears the issue of only being able to download pictures to the camera roll folder exists in other apps such as safari as well.

Is there anyway to fix this problem of only downloading to the camera roll folder? I don't want to turn off the auto upload feature in dropbox either.

iFixit's transparent rear panel for the 4S is crap, I'm afraid. I would've gone with a normal back but the transparent one was significantly cheaper than the OEM part. The plastic rim that's supposed to protect the edge of the glass keeps chipping off piece by piece though. I've lost maybe an inch so far in three different places.

iFixit customer service is awesome, they sent me a replacement when I pinged them on twitter about the issue but the replacement was just as bad.

I don't use a case or anything, but I don't abuse my devices. This is all from normal use.

Last edited:
My power button is now completely stuck, I hope the phone is still under warrant (as far as I remember I got it in March or April, but I believe it was a Taiwanese or Hong Kongese grey import... Hopefully the original purchasing dates aren't too off.

Thanks, I was just being lazy and didn't want to lookup the link right now ^^

The warranty is expired though :(

So I been having really crappy battery life out of my iP5 lately, figured it was the Exchange bug so I applied 6.1.2 when it came out and still yesterday I had like 12% battery near the end of the day (normally around 20 at that time). So I put it in airplane mode and just turned wi-fi on and it held at 11% for over an hour (was still at work). I'm thinking it's stupid ATT with their flaky LTE coverage as my phone keeps jumping on and off LTE and likely destroying the battery.

DND doesn't disable the alarm, does it?

Only place I use bluetooth is in the car and I have no problem with not being able to reconnect. Could be because the car throws an error and asks me to press a button to reconnect if it ever drops out of range. Which it doesn't unless I start the car to warm it up and actually leave it.

I left for work once, couldn't remember grabbing my phone as I went out, but figured it had to be somewhere on me since the car went *ding* and paired. Then as I drove away from the parking lot it dropped off. Turns out it was in my bedroom. Good range. :lol:

I have my 4S connect to my car's factory Bluetooth automatically on start up, and no problems with it ever.

I've also done the "drive off and leave the phone behind" thing a few times, but I at least get to the end of my street before it drops and alerts me.