iPhone / iOS Thread

I decided to play around with iOS 7 beta 2 on my iPad (friend has a dev acct). The OS itself is not bad but sadly third party support isn't quite there yet, a few of my apps didn't work the worst one being Plex. Also iBooks crashed when trying to look up words in the dictionary so back to 6 I go. Do have to say that some of the "new" features are quite nice but somehow incomplete. My iPad is the kind with a 4G radio so from time to time I will have the need to turn off cell data to save either battery or data. No [separate] option for it in control center, there is airplane mode but that would mean that I'd have to turn that on and then turn on Wi-Fi and BT selectively, not quite ideal. The other problem with control center is that unlike notification center it doesn't seem to be accessible from any app.

The new folders I have mixed feelings about. It's nice to have multiple screens to have folders hold more however there is now more space between the icons and the folder takes up less of the screen so you have less apps on the first page than you do now. It's not a huge deal but seems quite unnecessary to me.

I decided to play around with iOS 7 beta 2 on my iPad (friend has a dev acct). The OS itself is not bad but sadly third party support isn't quite there yet, a few of my apps didn't work the worst one being Plex. Also iBooks crashed when trying to look up words in the dictionary so back to 6 I go. Do have to say that some of the "new" features are quite nice but somehow incomplete. My iPad is the kind with a 4G radio so from time to time I will have the need to turn off cell data to save either battery or data. No [separate] option for it in control center, there is airplane mode but that would mean that I'd have to turn that on and then turn on Wi-Fi and BT selectively, not quite ideal. The other problem with control center is that unlike notification center it doesn't seem to be accessible from any app.

The new folders I have mixed feelings about. It's nice to have multiple screens to have folders hold more however there is now more space between the icons and the folder takes up less of the screen so you have less apps on the first page than you do now. It's not a huge deal but seems quite unnecessary to me.

It's only beta 2. The software doesn't come out to regular users until this Fall. They'll tighten things up by then i'm positive.

So who else is waiting to pull the trigger on a 5C or 5S? Assuming those are the real names, anyways.

I've heard that Apple has made jailbreaking iOS increasingly difficult with each new version of the OS, is that true?

There are new iPhones. Discuss.

It seems to me that the interest in jailbreaks has also declined? I don't have anything to back that up with though.

For me personally, especially with iOS7, there's hardly any features left that I'd need to jailbreak for.

Oh, and the new iPhones! Pretty much what you could expect, with regards to the 5S. Faster, better camera, a fingerprint scanner (which could be useful). The 5C is basically the 5 in drag :p I think it looks good though, and the more solid construction and choice of materials will appeal to some people.

Not sure if I will upgrade from my 4S, I'm tempted to wait another year for the 6. With iOS7 it'll basically feel like getting a new phone anyway, might as well wait for the design overhaul :)

No pre-orders for the 5S? So I'm going to have to either fight the Apple faithful online/at the store to get one or wait forever? Great.

seems kinda pricey for a budget phone

I don't understand why anyone would pay $199 for a 32gb 5c when you could get a $199 16gb 5s. I think the 5s specs far outweigh the 16 extra gigs, especially considering everything is in the cloud now anyways.

No pre-orders for the 5S? So I'm going to have to either fight the Apple faithful online/at the store to get one or wait forever? Great.

Pre-orders open on the 13th I believe.

Regarding the phone, I'll upgrade my 4S to a 5S as soon as it's available :-9

For someone coming from android and wanting to try an iOS device for the first time this is kind of a disappointment. Didn't expect much from all of the rumors that were hanging around before, but still.

I'm looking to upgrade from my HTC One X which has a cracked screen and is getting on a bit now, but honestly can't see why I should go to Apple at the moment. The only real draw towards an iPhone is for iOS7 but whether that is worth the price (which is bloody expensive here), is debatable. Would have liked to have seen more from Apple, seems like they are just playing catch up with android now. I want to love Apple, and be wowed. But at the moment it just isn't happening.

Will probably just end up grabbing a 4S to be honest.

I'll probably pull the trigger on a 32GB iPhone 5S, the 64-bit architecture, the fingerprint sensor and the camera capabilities look very exciting. Definitely a significant upgrade from my three year old iPhone 4.