iPhone / iOS Thread

Can 3rd party apps launch when clicking email links, instead of the default mail app?

I'm not sure tbh, the only one I ever used was the Gmail app and it wasn't very good IMO. Might be worth looking into it since you seem to be stuck with it for work.

No, like Safari, only the default Mail app will launch.

On another topic, the filters and photo editing features of iOS 8 are awesome, I very much don't see the need of using third party software to edit my photos. The Chrome film-simulation filter is especially well done.

No, like Safari, only the default Mail app will launch.

On another topic, the filters and photo editing features of iOS 8 are awesome, I very much don't see the need of using third party software to edit my photos. The Chrome film-simulation filter is especially well done.

Google apps have the ability to open stuff in Chrome right away so there is an API at least for browsers.

Each app can have an internal "system URL" that enable other apps to send them a message and make it open, it's actually quite easy and documented to make your app open Chrome instead of Safari, but not a lot of developers write it into their apps. It's definitely not going to happen for every third party mail client existing.

Basically, iOS redirects every http(s):// request to Safari and every mailto: request to mail.

Last edited:
Day 3 with the 6 plus. It's half past five in the afternoon and I'm at 59% battery after the kind of day that pretty much would have killed my 5S.

Whoever said that tmobile service is bad outside major population centers. Yup, you were right. Drove down to naples and now in Marco Island. No service.

Yeah...and another location that I'm not getting service. Sam's Club...and in there I saw "gprs" on my phone...never seen that before

Yeah...and another location that I'm not getting service. Sam's Club...and in there I saw "gprs" on my phone...never seen that before

LOL, my wife sees 1x on her phone sometimes in really bad locations. Sam's club is not too surprising, it's a giant concrete box with not much in the way of windows so its really good at trapping signal.

Google apps have the ability to open stuff in Chrome right away so there is an API at least for browsers.

Google search in Safari will even open location results in Google Maps, which is nice. I am really annoyed with how Google Hangouts now prompts you to download Chrome every time you click a link. I haven't done it yet, and I'm not going to, so stop bothering me.

Just another reason to stop using Google products on your phone. I'm down to only having Maps and YouTube installed and maps is seeing less and less use since they can't be bothered to update it for iPhone 6.

After a week and change with the 6 plus, I'm really getting used to it. The size feels completely normal to me now. I'm pretty sure I would've regretted going with the normal 6.

And by the way, redesigned Youtube and Facebook apps dropped today. Maps has still to get updated so I'm actually using Apple Maps now. And it isn't even that bad. Imagine that.

The only reason to not use Maps these days is if you need public transport routes, which it still doesn't have.

Google search in Safari will even open location results in Google Maps, which is nice. I am really annoyed with how Google Hangouts now prompts you to download Chrome every time you click a link. I haven't done it yet, and I'm not going to, so stop bothering me.

Yeah it's annoying the hell out of me too, whats worse is if you grab Chrome it will constantly ask which one you want Safari or Chrome.

- - - Updated - - -

The only reason to not use Maps these days is if you need public transport routes, which it still doesn't have.
It dumped me a mile away from where I was going more than once before so I'm sticking with Google Maps... Also Google is way better at traffic.

And a local trucking company's garage is STILL called "Fish market and ice bar" which it has been since day one. :lol: I've submitted several bug reports.

After a week and change with the 6 plus, I'm really getting used to it. The size feels completely normal to me now. I'm pretty sure I would've regretted going with the normal 6.

That effect only gets better when picking up a 3.5" - 4.0" phone. They feel tiny :lol:

I ran into that feeling after using a 5.0" Android phone for a while. Now after the 5.5" iPhone the 5.0" phone seems small, particularly because some of the screen real estate in the Android phone was being used for the capacitive buttons.

And a local trucking company's garage is STILL called "Fish market and ice bar" which it has been since day one. :lol: I've submitted several bug reports.

Whats worse in my case it the places I was going to were in NYC (Brooklyn to be exact), this place is pretty damn well mapped and has ton of people for crowdsourcing.

- - - Updated - - -

That effect only gets better when picking up a 3.5" - 4.0" phone. They feel tiny :lol:

I ran into that feeling after using a 5.0" Android phone for a while. Now after the 5.5" iPhone the 5.0" phone seems small, particularly because some of the screen real estate in the Android phone was being used for the capacitive buttons.
I still think the normal 6 is huge :(

I just accidentally an iPhone 6 a couple of weeks ago, and I have not found it troublesome to adopt to the increased size. The biggest change is the on/off-switch which has been moved from the top to the side. One thing I did notice was that it seemed to have some problems when syncing to my Mac via iTunes. Everything except my pictures was synced without problems, turns out it's got problems syncing too many files at once, so I had to part up my albums in groups and sync them separately.

It was very difficult to get a protective case for it, as the original Apple leather half-cases were sold out everywhere in Oslo, only the ones for the 6+ or the occasional signal red one for a 6 was left in the stores. But I did manage to get a black one in a store just outside Oslo.

What I also notice is a marked improvement in battery life. A normal working day that would otherwise drain my 5S to 35-40 % power only gets the 6 to 65-70 %, which is nice. :)

And No, it hasn't bent yet...

Yeah they do last for a while, and I agree with you on the on/off switch that took a while to get used to. I'm still rocking mine naked, waiting for a case to come.

I'm completely used to the 6+ now. The 5S feels tiny. :lol: