iPhone / iOS Thread

Found out something dissapointing about having a iPhone 4 loaner while my iPhone 5 S is undergoing some glass ++ repairs:
Wanted to restore my last back up from the 5 onto the 4 (so that I have phone numbers etc) but got a message saying it wasn?t possible as the 4 was on iOS 7 and my back up from the 5 was on iOS 8.. So I went to Settings to upgrade the 4 to iOS 8. Guess what. The 4 is not iOS 8 compatible. Hah! That is so so so stupid....

You shouldn't have to restore the whole thing just to get your contacts, unless you specifically declined having them synced to the cloud to begin with. Same thing goes for calendars, Safari bookmarks, stored passwords and whatnot. Just set up the phone as a new device on your Apple account, tell it to sync contacts and that's that.

You'll even get your pictures that way if you enabled iCloud Photo Library. That feature isn't supported on iOS 7, but you get the idea.

The size of my iPhone backup is currently at 1.5 GB, most of which I guess are podcasts... and maybe offline Spotify content? Anyway, the size of the backup shrunk down to almost nothing after I enabled iCloud Photo Library since the camera roll isn't a part of the backup anymore. Of course I'm still using the same amount of space on my iCloud account since the pictures are stored there anyway.

Last edited:
I know, but as this is my work phone I need all of my phone numbers etc.

My phone is tied to my Google account. This means that my contacts sync between my email, phone, and iPad seamlessly. It sounds like you should be doing this, or storing them in iCloud, instead of only locally on the phone.

It wasn?t a problem the last time this happend, that is - before iOS 8 came. I then only had to upgrade the 4 to iOS7 latest version and then restore my latest 5 back up.

I've had that issue on other versions as well, being out of support is the only problem really but then we are talking 5 gens behind at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

I do understand that it makes sense. I?m just expressing my thoughts as a user and customer. I think Apple should have a back up solution, such as keeping the users last iOS7 back up so that it?s possible to restore that one. At least then you get most of your phone numbers and pics etc.

If it's your work phone why don't you have your contacts saved on corporate Exchange server? All you do is connect to the account and bam contacts!

- - - Updated - - -

My phone is tied to my Google account. This means that my contacts sync between my email, phone, and iPad seamlessly. It sounds like you should be doing this, or storing them in iCloud, instead of only locally on the phone.

Or that

All great tips. Guess I am just a lazy and demanding customer :p

Spotify just pushed version 2.0.0 of their iOS app. This should be a big update, right? Well, in Spotify land things apparently work differently. I think the release notes for this update was "bug fixes". Still no iPhone6/6+ redesign.

Back in the day they took like a year or two to bring out an iPad version. Then they redesigned the entire UI across all platforms in like 2013, with a new way of organizing your music and playlists. Every other platform got the new UI within days or maybe a week or two within each other, EXCEPT the iPad. iPad users got the new UI about a week ago. Before that, you couldn't access parts of your library of "bookmarked" music on your iPad because the app lacked the features.

So I'm not holding my breath for the iPhone6 redesign until maybe early 2017. WTF are you doing, Spotify? It's not like you haven't got the message.

Last edited:
Apparently they don't understand how version numbers work.

In other news, I used Apple Pay for the first time tonight at McDonald's and holy fucking shit is it awesome! I hope more places start adding NFC support soon!

In other news, I used Apple Pay for the first time tonight at McDonald's and holy fucking shit is it awesome! I hope more places start adding NFC support soon!

NFC is pretty popular in Finland already. Every new small business payment terminal has it and soon all the big chains, too.

Of course, we don't have neither apple pay nor Google wallet yet and when we do get it, it'll be interesting to convince clerks that I know what I'm doing, waving my phone at their terminal.

Do all stores with NFC card machines accept iPhones or does the retailer need to specifically accept Apple Pay?

It's going to be pretty much everywhere soon, one of the things Apple did very well with this service is that they timed it to when the payment terminals have to be upgraded (by law) and all the news ones have NFC built right in.

- - - Updated - - -

Do all stores with NFC card machines accept iPhones or does the retailer need to specifically accept Apple Pay?

Yes, it's basically a credit/debit card transaction as far as the store/issuing bank are concerned.

I've had NFC in my debit card for a couple of years now, and it's finally slowly popping up in stores whenever they get their readers replaced or updated. For a while clerks used to look at me like I was an idiot, and then they didn't know what was going on when a receipt came out even though I didn't punch a pin.

Whenever Apple Pay is introduced here and my bank starts supporting it, it should work out of the box with any reader that takes these NFC debit cards, as should Google Wallet.

I'm not looking forward to having to explain to clerks what I'm doing yet again. Especially since they have to activate the reader for me by hitting "card" rather than "cash" on their register. Or in case of smaller stores, punch the amount into the terminal manually and handing it over. Me taking my card out is a sign that I'm going to pay via their terminal, but what about if I take out the phone?

I have an NFC phone with Google wallet and have never actually attempted to use it... nor have I seen anything encouraging me to do so. Hopefully the Apple marketing machine will get NFC into more stores.

Probably the first time I've wanted it to succeed :lol:

I have an NFC phone with Google wallet and have never actually attempted to use it... nor have I seen anything encouraging me to do so. Hopefully the Apple marketing machine will get NFC into more stores.

This. I set up Google wallet a few weeks ago after Apple Pay went live, figuring I'd be able to give it a shot at CVS (who was doing NFC for years before currentc) and Rite Aid.

But then they blocked it, and I pretty much can only use NFC at McDonalds. I don't go there often and when I do I'm in my car...making it pointless to tap and pay.

I also wonder if the ruggedized case I've bought will make NFC more difficult to use. :hmm:

Especially since they have to activate the reader for me by hitting "card" rather than "cash" on their register. Or in case of smaller stores, punch the amount into the terminal manually and handing it over. Me taking my card out is a sign that I'm going to pay via their terminal, but what about if I take out the phone?

That's weird all the NFC terminals here you simply put a card on it or phone.

- - - Updated - - -

GW needs to go tokenized as well, this is the reason why Apple actually had to get CC/Banks on board for it so they can set up the tokens.

This. I set up Google wallet a few weeks ago after Apple Pay went live, figuring I'd be able to give it a shot at CVS (who was doing NFC for years before currentc) and Rite Aid.

But then they blocked it, and I pretty much can only use NFC at McDonalds. I don't go there often and when I do I'm in my car...making it pointless to tap and pay.

I also wonder if the ruggedized case I've bought will make NFC more difficult to use. :hmm:

Yeah, fuck CVS. Walgreens still it an Apple Pay launch partner to go shop there instead.

I used mine through the Apple leather case and it worked fine. I don't think I even had to have it directly on the pad -- just very close.

That's weird all the NFC terminals here you simply put a card on it or phone.

Yes, that's obviously how it works in the end.

But not all terminals are integrated into the POS system - small business usually use stand-alone terminals where the sales person inputs the amount manually if the customer produces a payment card.

We have something similar to this, altough not exactly the same model. It just needs power and cat-5 and has nothing to do with our POS system at all. The NFC reader is in the display - just hold your card against it and beep, done.

I'm not familiar with how the POS integrated terminals work but at least some store chains require the clerk to tap a key to select card rather than cash after the customer produces a payment card. I think this happens without me noticing it most of the time.

Last edited:
Yes, that's obviously how it works in the end.

But not all terminals are integrated into the POS system - small business usually use stand-alone terminals where the sales person inputs the amount manually if the customer produces a payment card.

We have something similar to this, altough not exactly the same model. It just needs power and cat-5 and has nothing to do with our POS system at all. The NFC reader is in the display - just hold your card against it and beep, done.

I'm not familiar with how the POS integrated terminals work but at least some store chains require the clerk to tap a key to select card rather than cash after the customer produces a payment card. I think this happens without me noticing it most of the time.
Interesting, here it is always integrated and if it is integrated you either hand your card to cashier of swipe/tap yourself in the latter case it will automatically pick up the payment. If you use cash then they have to input the amount obv.

It is most likely integrated less often than you think, the cashier just inputs it on their end before you notice. Source: I work for a POS company.

It is most likely integrated less often than you think, the cashier just inputs it on their end before you notice. Source: I work for a POS company.

Why would you say such things about your company? :p It might have to do with the kind of places that I use my card with I suppose. It's mostly big chains with "nicer" POSs.

I didn't say anything about my company, just an observation on the industry :p

Yes it's definitely smaller stores that would not be integrated. National chains have their own custom systems.