iPhone / iOS Thread

At Macy's at least we had to select card as a payment option before the terminal will activate.

At Macy's at least we had to select card as a payment option before the terminal will activate.

Exactly. And not a single salesperson ever will get what you're doing when you're waving your phone over the reader like an idiot. Except me, I guess.

This. Its like this at most places, large and small.

When reporters were reporting on their experiences with apple pay, a lot noticed that someone still had to hit a button on their end (likely credit based on my retail experiences) to complete the transaction.

And just today as I was buying groceries, the salesperson forgot to tap the "card" button on his terminal.

I stuck my loyalty card into the chip reader, hit "bonus" (because it also is a visa debit card if you want, I don't use that part), took it out, put my debit card in, nothing happened. It was a busy friday afternoon and the guy had zoned out. :p I told him "nothing's happening" which made him come back to earth and tap the required button on his register.

This. Its like this at most places, large and small.

When reporters were reporting on their experiences with apple pay, a lot noticed that someone still had to hit a button on their end (likely credit based on my retail experiences) to complete the transaction.

Interesting the few times I used it I literally just put the phone near the NFC reader and it asked me for my fingerprint.

Interesting the few times I used it I literally just put the phone near the NFC reader and it asked me for my fingerprint.

Yeah, that's on your end though. The iPhone will likely say its good to go (or at the very least show that its processing) but for the transaction to actually complete, the cashier usually needs to choose the payment type most of the time.

for the transaction to actually complete, the cashier usually needs to choose the payment type most of the time.

For the transaction to begin, you mean. The cashier has to select whether to open the cash drawer or send the correct amount to the electronic reader. Usually the customer doesn't notice any of this happening, but the cashier pays attention to what you're doing with your wallet and selects payment type.

Lowe's is the worst. After you tell them what method of payment, you still have to hit a "proceed" button that doesn't pop up for a few seconds.

Or Walgreens, which tells you it's OK...but then if you try to do anything (including slide your card in the slot with the sequential green lights), it won't "read"...because the register actually isn't ready yet. The machine goes dark, then the lights come back on and then it's OK to swipe.

For the transaction to begin, you mean. The cashier has to select whether to open the cash drawer or send the correct amount to the electronic reader. Usually the customer doesn't notice any of this happening, but the cashier pays attention to what you're doing with your wallet and selects payment type.

I was thinking of transaction in the alternate definition that it begins when you scan an item and ends when you get the receipt and can leave the store with your goods.

The only time you get to swipe your own card here is some kind of loyalty card. Otherwise the cashier just grabs the card and swipes it, but I think the last of the swipe readers are gone now.

Usually at a restaurant the cashier disappears with your card, skips the pin on the chip reader and returns with an oldskool slip for you to sign.

Has there been any word on Google adding the "Services" menu to their iOS Google Maps app? Of all the things I miss about Android, I think this is what I miss the most.

I drive all over San Francisco where parking is always a nightmare. In the services tab, I can turn on a "parking" layer, and it shows a circled "P" on the navigation map indicating parking garages. I could just set up a route to my destination, and when I get close, I glance at the map and look for the nearest "P".

Same thing with gas stations (handy on long drives if you're unfamiliar and running low on gas), and even ATMs. It doesn't require you to search for anything, it just displays an icon on the map.

Replacement iPhones have limited warrenties right? My phone has a ton of gunk under the camera lens which makes taking photos that don't look like crap impossible. Its been over a year since I originally got my 5s, but this replacement is about a month old. It would be way dick of them to say "well your original 1 year warranty is up, so we're not going to even look at this clearly defective 1 month old unit."

For referance my camera looks like this.

xtpArgu.jpg

All the crap is under the lens meaning that either this phone was poorly sealed around the buttons or contaminated during assembly.

Last edited:
I sent my 5S in to get the power button replaced. It had a couple days left of the warranty. It came back as a refurb (which in Apple terms means everything except the motherboard is brand new) and the salesman said there was a 3 month warranty on it.

The plan all along was to keep the 5S for a year until the 6 came out. I babied it with protective cases etc to keep it in good shape for resale and then they go ahead and swap it for me. All that effort for nothing. Fuckers. :p

Last edited:
I think I'd really like a 5S. It feels rather solid and has something that I feel was lost with the 6 and 6 Plus. Also, when you handle iOS and Android devices all day long, it's impossible not to notice how heavy the iPhone 4 and 4S feel.

Replacement iPhones have limited warrenties right? My phone has a ton of gunk under the camera lens which makes taking photos that don't look like crap impossible. Its been over a year since I originally got my 5s, but this replacement is about a month old. It would be way dick of them to say "well your original 1 year warranty is up, so we're not going to even look at this clearly defective 1 month old unit."

For referance my camera looks like this.

xtpArgu.jpg

All the crap is under the lens meaning that either this phone was poorly sealed around the buttons or contaminated during assembly.
Yeah there is usually a warranty on them I don't remember what the length of the warranty is but its basically "w/e is longer" so if you replace your phone say 6 months into it and the replacement would normally be only 3 month warranty you would actually get 6 month not 3 (assuming standard 1 year).

I think I'd really like a 5S. It feels rather solid and has something that I feel was lost with the 6 and 6 Plus. Also, when you handle iOS and Android devices all day long, it's impossible not to notice how heavy the iPhone 4 and 4S feel.

The 5S feels TINY to me now. :lol:

The 6+ is on the verge of being unpocketable (is that a word?) but it would be painful to go back to a smaller screen.

Yes, I realize androidists have known this for a long time. I'm not an androidist so I was stuck with a smaller screen. You won't find any records of me saying that the iphone4 or iphone5 is big enough though. I always wanted bigger. :)

Last edited:
Just got back from the Apple store. Was a bit of a miscommunication between the geniuses. The one who first checked me in said they would straight up replace the phone, but the one who actually was helping me didn't see I had it replaced a month ago so he thought my warrenty was expired and had my phone taken apart and cleaned as a free post-warrenty courtesy to me. Would've prefered a new phone, but this is good enough for me. While I was waiting in line I played with the new 6s only to reaffirm that the 6 is way too big and light for me, and the 6+ is just plain stupid (no offense to any of you that bought one).

While I was waiting in line I played with the new 6s only to reaffirm that the 6 is way too big and light for me, and the 6+ is just plain stupid (no offense to any of you that bought one).

No offense taken. You have this all wrong though. The 6+ is the default size for a phone, the 6 is "well, if you have tiny pockets..." and the 5 is just hilariously tiny. :lol: It took me like half a day to get used to the size.

I was like "oh shit" after holding an empty 6+ case for the first time, before there were any phones to be had in this part of the world. I decided to order one anyway, figured I could sell it for the price of a normal 6 if it turned out to be too big.

Turns out I did make the right choice. I don't want anything smaller now.

The 5S feels TINY to me now. :lol:

The 6+ is on the verge of being unpocketable (is that a word?) but it would be painful to go back to a smaller screen.

Yes, I realize androidists have known this for a long time. I'm not an androidist so I was stuck with a smaller screen. You won't find any records of me saying that the iphone4 or iphone5 is big enough though. I always wanted bigger. :)

My 4.7" G2 Mini is considerably smaller surface wise than the 6. And after having my phone a month or so, I wouldn't refuse a 5S not en lieu but as an extra phone :D

My step mom has a 4s and my niece a 5c. They both feel like toy phones, so tiny. :lol: