iPhone / iOS Thread

I have 0 experience with Apple Store(and Apple products). I wanted to install Google Play Music on my Ipod Touch 4th-gen running iOS 6.1.6(the latest and the last version for iPod Touch 4th gen), but I can't because the newest version of Google Play Music requires ".iOS 7 or later". Is there a way, that i'm missing, to install an older version of Google Play Music that worked on iOS 6? What if I jailbreak the iPod?

Weird, it should already be downloading the version that works on iOS 6 instead of 7. The only thing I can think of is that Google may have removed the old version when they pushed the update.

Weird, it should already be downloading the version that works on iOS 6 instead of 7. The only thing I can think of is that Google may have removed the old version when they pushed the update.

I think it's an Apple requirement for devs to only support and make apps using at least the latest SDK -1 (so 8.1-1=7.1).

not sure if there is a requirement or not but usually an app will say in description what OS it needs, they don't keep multiple versions in the app store (beyond ipad/iphone).

I have 0 experience with Apple Store(and Apple products). I wanted to install Google Play Music on my Ipod Touch 4th-gen running iOS 6.1.6(the latest and the last version for iPod Touch 4th gen), but I can't because the newest version of Google Play Music requires ".iOS 7 or later". Is there a way, that i'm missing, to install an older version of Google Play Music that worked on iOS 6? What if I jailbreak the iPod?

Found a workaround, it worked great!

iOS 8.1.1 and OS X 10.10.1 shipped today. Nothing exciting, just some fixes.

I think it's an Apple requirement for devs to only support and make apps using at least the latest SDK -1 (so 8.1-1=7.1).

Yep, but they're not forced to remove the old versions from their app history. The only case when you would want to do that is if you modify your web service and the old app becomes incompatible with it.

Found a workaround, it worked great!

Ah cool, you still had the old version in your iTunes then?

No, but this did the trick:
If you do not already own the app, one workaround is to purchase/download the app from the iTunes Store on a Mac or PC using the same Apple ID you are using on your iOS device. The app will then be associated with your account and you should then be offered an older version if you attempt to download the app again on the iOS device.

In iTunes, on PC, I added to my library the latest version of the app, then I went again in App Store from the iPod and installed the app. Before installation I got a message box saying "Download an older version of this app? The current version requires iOS 7 or later, but you can download the last compatible version". The current version of Google Play Music is 1.5.3184 and I got 1.2.xxxx. Funny thing: IMO the old iOS version looks better than the current Android version:lol:

iOS 8.1.1 and OS X 10.10.1 shipped today. Nothing exciting, just some fixes.

Do they release changelogs for these things?

Apparently there are supposed to be optimizations for old devices (like iPhone 4s and iPad 2). I'm telling my dad to update his iPad 2, it's dog slow atm.

If anyone in the US is looking for a Lightning cable, Home Depot is running them as a loss leader at the checkouts for $10, complete with the MFI certification.

Had my 6 for a week now, it's quite an awesome phone. The size took all of half an hour to get used to. I'm just so happy to have a phone that can hold a charge for an entire day, with my 4S I was looking for a charger early evening, with the 6 I've still got 30% left when I go to bed :)

My provider is ridiculous though. I've been a customer for over a year now, and ordered the 6 through them, with a new and better plan than I had before. You'd think that would be relatively pain free, when you're sticking with the same company. Nope, they have to transfer my number from one internal division to another, which means I've currently got a temporary phone number untill my usual one moves over, I can't access their self-service website, and I haven't got 4G access. That's all happening the 25th, around two weeks after I received the phone. Smooooth.

I haven't seen them, but does anyone know of any cables that have a built-in power conditioner?

I would love to use any random charge port or accessory, but a friend of mine just checked some of the el-cheap-o AC plugs and car chargers he had around, and the quality of the power was absolute shit. The official Apple products fared better, but the cube that came with my old Samsung actually performed better.

I think they are worth it, they are quite cheap second hand. I recently wanted to get a 32GB usb drive(~100RON) for music storage in my car, but instead I got an 32GB Ipod Touch 4 for 130 RON. The power and volume buttons don't work(and I cracked it's screen the night I got it :lol:), but it doesn't matter to me because it will spend most of it's life in the glove box. I also installed Google Play Music and works great in the car.

If anyone in the US is looking for a Lightning cable, Home Depot is running them as a loss leader at the checkouts for $10, complete with the MFI certification.

But that means one would have to shop at Home Depot. :lol:

OK I guess one could use cash....