iPhone / iOS Thread

Is disabling the cellular data really a commonly used feature though? The only time I've needed it was when I was on a temporary prepaid card where they would bill by the hour, and that only lasted me a month.

On a normal plan, why would you disabled the data?
Not so much on the phone itself but on a cell enabled iPad I used to do it all the time. Seeing as how the data is limited to usually about 2gigs a month you wouldn't want it to be wasting it doing email pulls, messaging, app updates (I mean like data in the apps not actual new version), etc...

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe HK phone plans are different, but many many many people in the US have data plans of 2GB or less, and often turn off data so as not to use it up with auto updating apps, etc.

My friend who just got a smart phone has like 100mb limit, she basically turns off cell data unless she needs it and uses wi-fi most of the time.
App updates only happen when connected to WiFi actually, same with iCloud photo upload and actually pretty much all Apple services that are not critical.
That's all configurable as well actually. Default is wi-fi only.

Last edited:
Any idea why a iPhone 4s running the latest iOS 7 would stop receiving text messages from my Android 5 phone? I turned off iMessage and it doesn't appear to have helped.
She did install the latest iOS update but I don't know if the messages stopped being received before that.

Last edited:
Any idea why a iPhone 4s running the latest iOS 7 would stop receiving text messages from my Android 5 phone? I turned off iMessage and it doesn't appear to have helped.
She did install the latest iOS update but I don't know if the messages stopped being received before that.

Phone company account screwup.

Phone company account screwup.

It turns out...I can send her messages all day long but the moment a message is sent containing a link, it doesn't get to her.

It's bizzare, and must be spam/account related. I'm on AT&T and she's on Verizon.

Anyone update their iPhones iOS to the 8.1.2 yet? And if so; what are the changes? Only bug fixes?

The changelog on the phone only mentioned miscounted purchases for itunes on it

yup.. probably just minor bug fixes we?re unable to notice

8.1.2 was mainly something about ringtones that got deleted. The record industry requires ringtones to expire after a certain time period and something misfired there leaving people without ringtones. Or something along those lines.

As well as a bunch of bug fixes and enhancements behind the scenes, undoubtedly.

I'm now in the 6+ club too. Silver with the blue leather case, although I'm thinking about getting a slightly sturdier case.

I dig the screen, but it will take a while to get used to the size...

Last edited:
Did that discovery bend your world?

Last time I was at the Apple Store, there was a girl at the genius bar with a bent 5s. That bent my mind.

My boss just gave back his iPhone 6 and got himself a Samsung Galaxy S5. Reason: with his carrier, the LTE doesn't work since the iPhone doesn't support the frequencies the carrier uses. Big deal, you say, just use 3G. Problem though is that you can't disable 3G so when 3G doesn't work (or rather logs in, but the iPhone doesn't get an IP address) you can't access the internet since it doesn't fall back to GPRS or EDGE. His wife's iPhone 4S worked flawless when the iPhone 6 didn't because there you can disable 3G...

My boss just gave back his iPhone 6 and got himself a Samsung Galaxy S5. Reason: with his carrier, the LTE doesn't work since the iPhone doesn't support the frequencies the carrier uses. Big deal, you say, just use 3G. Problem though is that you can't disable 3G so when 3G doesn't work (or rather logs in, but the iPhone doesn't get an IP address) you can't access the internet since it doesn't fall back to GPRS or EDGE. His wife's iPhone 4S worked flawless when the iPhone 6 didn't because there you can disable 3G...

I think lack of fast data is a big deal, and that is completely idiotic.