iPhone / iOS Thread

I officially no longer own the most powerful iPad then. Good. People will stop confusing me with a hipster then

Regardless of what is "under the covers," iOS and OS X have vastly different UI and functionality.

Isn't iOS just MacOS at base with the Cocoa Touch UI?

iPhone / iOS Thread

Isn't iOS just MacOS at base with the Cocoa Touch UI?

It's a bit more complex than that, but that's essentially it.

Regardless of what is "under the covers," iOS and OS X have vastly different UI and functionality.

As Microsoft found out at great expense and multiple attempts, a desktop UI does not work for a tablet.

Last edited:
It's a bit more complex than that, but that's essentially it.

As Microsoft found out at great expense and multiple attempts, a desktop UI does not work for a tablet.

You can have a tablet UI and a "proper" OS. Windows is the closest to pulling that off so far. The closed ecosystem of the iPad is disappointing for the "pro" badge.

Yes, but more devs are willing to make apps for an iPad pro with iOS than the Microsoft Store. Also, developing for Microsoft is harder than for Apple, at least from my perspective.

Absolutely, the microsoft store is terrible and is one of the main failures of their tablets and phones. But, at least you are not limited to the store. A Surface Pro is also a standard PC. I wish more devices were like that, I hate the limitations of mobile OS.

Yeah, I just wanted to compare the mobile and touch options. Speaking of which, Force Touch on an iPhone with the Taptic Engine? Sounds awesome.

And Apple is gonna have a data transfer app on Google's Play Store so you switch from Android to iOS faster! Shots fired! :lol:

Last edited:
You can have a tablet UI and a "proper" OS. Windows is the closest to pulling that off so far. The closed ecosystem of the iPad is disappointing for the "pro" badge.

Yeah, how did that work out for Windows 8 tablets again?

I love the look of the 6S - 3D Touch/Force Touch looks pretty nicely implemented, and everything else is just a better version of what came with the 6, a phone that I already quite liked.

But God dammit Apple, a 16GB base model again? Even after adding 4K video and Live Photos? Come on. I'd consider the 64GB model but Apple adjusted their pricing after the value of the Canadian dollar tanked, and now the 64GB iPhone is $480 on-contract - $120 more than a comparable Galaxy S6, and $130 more than the 16GB iPhone. And I'll bet you that's not going to change even if/when the dollar recovers.

Last edited:
Yeah, how did that work out for Windows 8 tablets again?

I'm buying a Windows 10 tablet as soon as I get tired of the performance of my Acer Iconia. If Apple had an iOS and Mac OS compatible device it would be a serious consideration.

I adore my Surface Pro 3. Windows 10 only made it better. I'm sure with some UI tweaks normal OSX could be amazing as a "Pro" tablet software without the limitations of iOS. After all, Apple is all about amazing UI's and ease of use.

EDIT: I also found this. It's not prophetic if it's something that happens like clockwork

1423139397987591345.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Yeah, except Apple preceded the fail-tacular TabletPC with the Newton and everyone yawned at that as well. The TabletPC was just *terrible* even if you considered it in isolation. One of my clients bought 40 of the top line, Microsoft recommended Dell convertibles, and the adapted OS used on them was shit-tastic. Eventually everyone just used them as conventional laptops.

The thing about the stylus/pencil - you don't *have* to have a stylus to use the iPad Pro. In fact, it's an extra cost accessory. At the time Steve made his famous statement and MacWorld presentation, you *had* to have a stylus to use almost any smartphone that didn't have a keyboard (and even many that did.) Windows tablets required the same thing. None were really touch-usable. Being chained to a stylus was a really annoying thing then.

This shits all over the place. Blame Tapatalk...

iPad Pro - they're positioning this as a ultra premium device but despite this they'll sell I suspect. This is uber fanservice - average people will continue to buy the standard iPad.

Buyers considering the pro are likely Apple power users and evangelists who are deeply invested in iOS and wouldn't dare consider the Surface Pro or another 2 in 1 Windows device no matter the cost savings.
Yeah, except Apple preceded the fail-tacular TabletPC with the Newton and everyone yawned at that as well. The TabletPC was just *terrible* even if you considered it in isolation. One of my clients bought 40 of the top line, Microsoft recommended Dell convertibles, and the adapted OS used on them was shit-tastic. Eventually everyone just used them as conventional laptops.

The thing about the stylus/pencil - you don't *have* to have a stylus to use the iPad Pro. In fact, it's an extra cost accessory. At the time Steve made his famous statement and MacWorld presentation, you *had* to have a stylus to use almost any smartphone that didn't have a keyboard (and even many that did.) Windows tablets required the same thing. None were really touch-usable. Being chained to a stylus was a really annoying thing then.
The Newton was more PDA competitor than full featured PC IMO.

The Tablet PC also had a cost, speed, and perception problem. Too pricey, WiFi wasn't common even in the early 00's outside work, the mobile processors were slow, and they had a learning curve that other devices don't.

One also only saw them in the hospital/the toniest of doctors offices, so they were seen as a "just for doctors" thing.

And Apple is gonna have a data transfer app on Google's Play Store so you switch from Android to iOS faster! Shots fired!

Another shot across the bow at Android: Apple backed device payment plans. This is big because it gives more people the ability to pay off a iPhone over time that's unlocked with no carrier plan BS.

This is huge as one can keep the ultra cheap plan they have if they're on a smaller/prepaid carrier like myself and firmly pushed me into the "I'm buying" camp.

I'd be able to get a 6S Plus in addition to my 50 dollar phone plan for around 100 bucks. Fucking. Sold. It'd be at least 50 bucks more on one of the big four, with less data per month. Plus, unless I went with Verizon, the device would be locked.

You are attempting to catch fish with your breath?

If it was bated breath, that would be more understandable...

I love the look of the 6S - 3D Touch/Force Touch looks pretty nicely implemented, and everything else is just a better version of what came with the 6, a phone that I already quite liked.

But God dammit Apple, a 16GB base model again? Even after adding 4K video and Live Photos? Come on. I'd consider the 64GB model but Apple adjusted their pricing after the value of the Canadian dollar tanked, and now the 64GB iPhone is $480 on-contract - $120 more than a comparable Galaxy S6, and $130 more than the 16GB iPhone. And I'll bet you that's not going to change even if/when the dollar recovers.

16 GB is downright pitiful I agree. They really wanna hit that magical price point while maintaining a healthy, Apple like margin.

At the time Steve made his famous statement and MacWorld presentation, you *had* to have a stylus to use almost any smartphone that didn't have a keyboard (and even many that did.) Windows tablets required the same thing. None were really touch-usable. Being chained to a stylus was a really annoying thing then.

Iirc the iPhone was one, if not the first, phone with a capacitive touchscreen. People can whine and bitch all they want but honestly I find Android a hassle and WP negligible.

iOS 9 is really good, even on my ageing broken iPhone 5.

I'll have a 64GB 6S on pre-order as soon as possible.

I'm pretty much sold on the 6+ S as soon as I learn more about the RAM (if, for some strange reason, it still has 1 GB of RAM, all of my nope).