iPhone / iOS Thread

Yes because aside from having a comically oversized phone, we need to be this guy

fkWFN.jpg

...I was quite fond of my BT headset :|

Thanks. 30 pin because iPad 3 for the Mrs I got for basically nothing at work...

If it was cheap, I guess it's fine as long as you don't expect much performance or longevity out of it.

IIRC, the 3 was essentially a 2 with 4x the amount of pixels to push. I had a 2 when it was new and it wasn't terribly fast even back then. :p

It'll be used for webbrowsing and emails solely so I guess we'll manage....
It's remarkably slower than my iPad Air 2 obviously, but remarkably quicker than the 7 inch Pos she used to have....

I'm on a work-supplied 3, and the lack of RAM is really my only performance complaint...but it's a really frustrating one. Seriously...I'll be writing a long post reply, or facebook status, and I'll just go to do a quick Wikipedia search...and I'll come back and then tap refreshes, erasing my post. I've gotten used to copying my text before I leave the tab, but it's a pain with web forms with multiple fields, etc.

I just use my laptop for anything more demanding than Facebook. Never saw the appeal of tablets for anything more complicated than that. :dunno:

It's lighter, always ready to go, longer battery life and takes up less space when you're on the couch. :dunno:

There's nothing wrong with battery life on my laptop. :p I mean, it's not my main computer. I have a desktop for that. I still need a laptop, but not on a daily basis, so it serves as my couch browsing device a lot of the time. During those times, the battery lasts several days before I need to charge it. Not that different from a tablet...

Then again, it's a 13" Macbook Air. I guess that if your idea of a laptop is a 15" thing that's as thick as three Airs, you might see the point of a tablet too. :p

A tablet (or phone) is the default browsing on the couch device. If it didn't have all my videos and music on it, I'd not need a desktop at all

There are a lot of people who won't fill up even a 16gb iPhone. In fact, I'd say the majority of potential buyers.

That doesn't mean that Apple couldn't put 32 gigs in the base model. It costs a poofteenth.

I couldn't get my iPad to activate after updating. It just kept failing with an error about unreachable activation servers. I hooked it to the computer (for the first time in a year and a half, probably) and presto, activated. No idea why.

The reason I had to activate after updating was apparently that I've got Find My iPhone turned on.

The OS X update kept stalling, and that's when I remembered you can download the updates manually. Be aware that this requires version 10.11.3 to be installed already:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1868?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

There's also a "combo update" for those of you on older versions of 10.11.

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1869?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Obviously, the simplest fix to all of this is to not jump on the updates the minute they come out. I prefer to be one of those guys hammering the servers to a bloody pulp. :p

Last edited:
Actually since the iPhone now shoots 4K video 16GB is really not that much.

Camera's also been bumped up from 8 to 12MP for stills, on top of Live Photos. 16GB is ridiculous in 2016. Internal storage is not at all expensive, this is just penny-pinching from a company that can most definitely afford to do better.

Having said that, I'll probably be suckered into buying an iPhone 7 Plus regardless of whether or not that changes :p

Camera's also been bumped up from 8 to 12MP for stills, on top of Live Photos. 16GB is ridiculous in 2016. Internal storage is not at all expensive, this is just penny-pinching from a company that can most definitely afford to do better.

Having said that, I'll probably be suckered into buying an iPhone 7 Plus regardless of whether or not that changes :p

If you're seriously considering a 7 Plus, you were never in their market for a SE.

If you're seriously considering a 7 Plus, you were never in their market for a SE.

Oh absolutely. I think the SE is a great phone, but it's far too small for my liking.

I was speaking more in general about Apple's refusal to bump up storage in their base models. The 6s Plus has much the same issue - 4K/12MP/Live Photos camera, but in a 16GB base model. I think that's unacceptable in 2016, personally.

16GB is the base model for people who think they don't need much storage and may later have to pony up for iTunes Match. 32GB used to be the best compromise between price and capacity, so of course it had to go and 64GB was always too expensive, so it got to stay. They have it down to an art form.

Well, the 64GB is at the price of the old 32GB so it's not like they're ripping you off on that. 16GB is mainly for corporate, not that it makes it less shitty.

I'm pretty sure the 7 will start at 32GB, like the iPad Pro.