iPhone / iOS Thread

1WpwXxa.jpg

Jesus...a $1100 iPad?

Well, we're getting to the point of laptop replacement...

b3fdb5be5e2c6c2e42a6bbe8aa4cd502.png

4aa8d0b9c84f634d9f51692e4bbe95bb.png

Not really sure what the concern is.

b3fdb5be5e2c6c2e42a6bbe8aa4cd502.png

4aa8d0b9c84f634d9f51692e4bbe95bb.png

Not really sure what the concern is.

I get that warning on an almost daily basis with about 1.1 gigs free. They're just trying to sell you on a iCloud account.

Actually, if you look at the iPhone with a tool like PhoneView, you can quickly see that the "Available" number on that screen and the actual amount of space available on the device may not quite match. There's a bunch of stuff going on with temp files, cache, downloads and such. It *can* overwrite them if it has to.

Also, different iPhone models seem to have different thresholds where that alert goes off. I've also heard it said that the alert is triggered by the number of photos you have, the rate at which you take new photos and whether you offload them or not. I keep less than 100 on my phone and while I take photos regularly I also offload them pretty fast. I've never seen that message on my own personal iPhones even though they're often running around with even less storage than that.

I pay like $1/month for 50 GB of iCloud storage. It's nice to have, honestly.

I pay for 200GB and my wife pays for 50GB mainly for photos. iOS 11 is bringing shared family storage, so it'll be nice to not have to pay twice.

i paid 19,90eur (was very nice deal, bought 5) for yearly office365, so i get 1TB of storage (+office)

Office365's cloud storage I believe is the best value today.

It is really inconvenient to use on iOS in my opinion. I mainly use cloud storage for photos and OneDrive's handling of that, at least last year when I was still using it, was horrible.

Also the app kept logging me out all the time...

... I should probably also start using my office365 cloud storage some more :| I haven't used it at all until now, and I've had the bloody thing for nearly 3 years... also I need to find me a new key to extend that for cheap somewhere.

It is really inconvenient to use on iOS in my opinion. I mainly use cloud storage for photos and OneDrive's handling of that, at least last year when I was still using it, was horrible.

Also the app kept logging me out all the time...

Amusingly, it does that on some Windows 10 PCs I've seen too. We're talking about fresh installs as well as ones that have been up for a while. Suddenly you're logged out or you lost the connection to the server, etc.

Jesus...a $1100 iPad?

If you buy it for actual work rather than browsing on the toilet, $1100 is starting to make sense.

Way too rich for me, though. I like the upcoming stuff in iOS 11 but I'm not in a rush to replace macOS.

Anyone ever try clearing space on their phones using this method? http://mashable.com/2016/03/31/free-iphone-storage-space/#OU8836SNigqd

I haven't done it personally but many report success in r/iPhone

Heads up, looks like they changed rentals to streaming so this isn't an option anymore. Just tried to "rent" The Two Towers, and instead of it cleaning all my apps, it authorized the rental and asked me if I wanted to watch the movie. Its weird because I don't have a form of payment saved into iTunes/iCloud, so not sure what it would've charged the $3.99 to, but will be on the look out for the charge just in case.

iPhone / iOS Thread

Heads up, looks like they changed rentals to streaming so this isn't an option anymore. Just tried to "rent" The Two Towers, and instead of it cleaning all my apps, it authorized the rental and asked me if I wanted to watch the movie. Its weird because I don't have a form of payment saved into iTunes/iCloud, so not sure what it would've charged the $3.99 to, but will be on the look out for the charge just in case.

Good to know. :thumbsup:

In iOS 11, there's a optional feature that'll partially uninstall infrequently used apps until you tap the icon for the app on the home screen. https://www.cultofmac.com/485432/ios-11-can-automatically-offload-apps-dont-use/

User data associated with the app would remain on the device so you would hopefully be able to pickup where you left off.

This may help out when space is tight.

Good to know. :thumbsup:

In iOS 11, there's a optional feature that'll partially uninstall infrequently used apps until you tap the icon for the app on the home screen. https://www.cultofmac.com/485432/ios-11-can-automatically-offload-apps-dont-use/

User data associated with the app would remain on the device so you would hopefully be able to pickup where you left off.

This may help out when space is tight.

Depends if the partial uninstall includes the app cache or not.

All of a sudden last night my iPhone dropped a wifi signal and couldn't locate any networks. All other wifi devices were working. I ran through some trouble shooting like resetting networks settings etc but nothing worked.

I took the phone out of the case and it worked. The next day the phone was still connected to wifi, I put back in the case and it dropped it. I've been using the case for a long time. After 30 minutes or so while in the case it did reconnect itself to wifi.

I'm upgrading to the latest version of iOS. But I fear it could be a hardware component. Problem is, I bought the phone in the USA but I'm in South Africa on vacation. I need my wifi working, not sure if I should take it into some random repair shop here to replace the wifi antenna....or maybe get the parts and tools needed and do it myself. I've never opened up my phone before.

Screen acting up again, debating whether I want to order a $30 screen replacement kit off Amazon for Monday delivery or pick up a 128GB SE from the Apple Store tomorrow. Was leaning towards the former option, even placed the order, but now I'm having second thoughts. Already cancelled it just in case I don't run into problems like last time. I'm now telling myself that I should just get the new phone tomorrow and I've had funds earmarked for the occasion for the last few months (ever since this one started acting up).

But.... as I was typing this and texting my fianc?e, all symptoms of the problem went away, so I'm now telling myself that I can live with the phone as is for a little bit longer. But as Murphy dictates, if I do this, the phone will shit out on me right when I actually need it most and won't have my work phone on me for backup.

To remind everyone, its an almost 4 year old (purchased Oct 2013) 64GB 5s with 500MB free space with a 5 months old aftermarket screen that already has stress cracks in a few place (all stemming from the speaker and home button cutouts, not caused by drops) and an aftermarket battery that always shows 100% regardless of true charge state. It shuts down on me constantly because the battery is discharged and I don't actually realize that with the battery meter working as it does, and now the bottom right corner of the screen has an occasional dead zone due to the screen starting to peel away from the digitizer between 2 of the stress cracks. For $30 I can get a new screen off Amazon that has mostly positive reviews, but some people complaining about the same stress cracks I'm seeing and faded colors, and for another $20 I can get a battery from iFixIt that supposedly will fix the charge state issue, but is it really worth it at this point? By how much will this $50 investment increase the life of the phone? Another 6 months? A year tops?

Last edited:
Screen acting up again, debating whether I want to order a $30 screen replacement kit off Amazon for Monday delivery or pick up a 128GB SE from the Apple Store tomorrow. Was leaning towards the former option, even placed the order, but now I'm having second thoughts. Already cancelled it just in case I don't run into problems like last time. I'm now telling myself that I should just get the new phone tomorrow and I've had funds earmarked for the occasion for the last few months (ever since this one started acting up).

But.... as I was typing this and testing my fianc?e, all symptoms of the problem went away, so I'm now telling myself that I can live with the phone as is for a little bit longer. But as Murphy dictates, if I do this, the phone will shit out on me right when I actually need it most and won't have my work phone on me for backup.

To remind everyone, its an almost 4 year old (purchased Oct 2013) 64GB 5s with 500MB free space with a 5 months old aftermarket screen that already has stress cracks in a few place (all stemming from the speaker and home button cutouts, not caused by drops) and an aftermarket battery that always shows 100% regardless of true charge state. It shuts down on me constantly because the battery is discharged and I don't actually realize that with the battery meter working as it does, and now the bottom right corner of the screen has an occasional dead zone due to the screen starting to peel away from the digitize between 2 of the stress cracks. For $30 I can get a new screen off Amazon that has mostly positive reviews, but some people complaining about the same stress cracks I'm seeing on my replacement screen and faded colors, and for another $20 I can get a battery from iFixIt that supposedly will fix the charge state issue, but is it really worth it at this point? By how much will this $50 investment increase the life of the phone? Another 6 months? A year tops?

Just break down and buy a new 128 GB SE.

The battery in yours is shit. The digitizer is shit, the display itself is mediocre. You're getting stress cracks.

Stop putting money in a old device that likely won't get updated past iOS 11. It's like dumping money into a beater car that's THIS close to being unfixable.

The SE is a great phone and a excellent value as far as iPhones go.

Get the 128Gb SE. You're hitting diminishing returns even with quality OE parts; you're looking at really crappy aftermarket parts which really aren't going to help.