iPhone / iOS Thread

If I needed the headphone jack in the car, I would get a lightning car charger with an aux output on it.

edit: I mean, regardless if I had a headphone jack or not. I like to take the opportunity to charge anyway while I'm in the car and one cable is better than two.
Yep, that's actually why I got it in the first place for the X, because wife had a 6 at the time anyway but having to plug in two cables if you wanted to charge AND have music was annoying.

- - - Updated - - -

I can navigate much faster with the phone locally rather than the remote interfaces in cars. So, I'd rather use that because it means I'm taking less time I need to focus on the road.

It's a personal preference at the moment. If I get a new car that supports my stuff, I'll try and use that.

You can still do both actually*, I typically start a playlist directly on the phone but then use buttons to forward/back, pause, etc... which is faster than using the phone unless you don't have screen auto off.

*In my Mustang if I plug directly in with the USB it won't let me use the phone for Spotify only the car interface, doesn't happen over BT.

Last edited:
Infotainment systems can be a pain in the ass. I have GM IntelliLink 900 and if I start a playlist or a song using the car interface, it seems to insist on using that. It won't let me browse and change songs on the phone itself.

I wonder if it adapts for facial hair or aging, or if you have to periodically re-do your scans. I also wonder how many faces you can have in it, and if it effects speed. One of my last phones had a seemingly unlimited number of fingerprints, but it got noticeably slower the more that were added.

Last edited:
Fuck facial recognition.

I wonder if it adapts for facial hair or aging, or if you have to periodically re-do your scans. I also wonder how many faces you can have in it, and if it effects speed. One of my last phones had a seemingly unlimited number of fingerprints, but it got noticeably slower the more that were added.

That was actually all addressed ;)
It adapts to facial hair, hats, scarves, etc... what I'm not sure about is say sunglasses, I tend to wear aviators would it be able to tell it's still me?
You can only have one face, no being able to set up say your wife to unlock your phone, which I actually find quite annoying since wife and I typically have each other's fingerprints in the phones so we don't have to bother remembering extra PINs.

- - - Updated - - -

Fuck facial recognition.

Pretty sure you don't have to use it :p

You think the "disable" feature will actually turn it off? That's adorable. ;)

In the demo I saw it didn't seem to work if the persons eyes were closed. Which I guess makes sense because you could point the phone at someone sleeping and unlock. I also was initially concerned about police pointing it at your face to unlock as well.

Not sure if it was mentioned. But Apple did want to have a fingerprint scanner too but I guess they couldn't make it work under the glass and for whatever reason didn't want to relocate to the side or the back. now trying to just make it seem like FaceID is better and screw touchID

Police holding it in front of your face is no different in practice than them doing the same with your finger.

There is a safety feature against this starting with iOS 11. Pressing the Power button five times or holding Power + volume buttons will instantly disable Touch ID and/or Face ID, requiring the PIN to unlock.

You think the "disable" feature will actually turn it off? That's adorable. ;)

You don't have to set it up in the first place?

- - - Updated - - -

Police holding it in front of your face is no different in practice than them doing the same with your finger.

Just look away, it only works if you are looking straight at it.

That's true. Although it seems more invasive to take someone's hand and force their finger onto a button than to place the phone in front of someone's face.

Not like either situation would either happen to me anyway lol

That's true. Although it seems more invasive to take someone's hand and force their finger onto a button than to place the phone in front of someone's face.

Unless you try to turn away, and they hold your head.

Last edited:
Point taken

I think I'm gonna go ahead and preorder the 8. Take advantage of 300$ credit from T-Mobile (with trade in). Also the earpiece on my 6 seems to be malfunctioning (can barely hear calls). I opened up the phone to clean it throughly. My other option is to buy a replacement part and install myself. But seems like a good time to upgrade.

Any idea about cases needing to be compatible for wireless charging?

Not yet, but unless they screwed the pooch, it should be fine. I've seen people use thick rubber cases with seemingly no issues on their android devices. I have the Spigen Neo Hybrids on my Note 5 and Galaxy S6 without issue.

Point taken

I think I'm gonna go ahead and preorder the 8. Take advantage of 300$ credit from T-Mobile (with trade in). Also the earpiece on my 6 seems to be malfunctioning (can barely hear calls). I opened up the phone to clean it throughly. My other option is to buy a replacement part and install myself. But seems like a good time to upgrade.

Any idea about cases needing to be compatible for wireless charging?

As long as it's not metal you should be fine.

Would be nice if the app noticed you opened an email and marked it as red because of that.

Some thoughts, after dicking around with it for about a day on an iPhone 7:

- Everything is noticeably quicker.
- Google doesn't ask for location every :censored:ing time anymore.
- Safari scrolls a lot nicer.
- I don't like the colorful buttons in the Messages app when the keyboard is hidden. I don't care about apps and emojis.
- I don't need the Cellular Data toggle in the settings drawer and will end up clicking it by accident, cutting me off from the rest of the world. I do like everything else about the new settings drawer, though.
- I've always wanted a file manager, but I'm so used to not having onw now that I don't know what I'll use it for. :lol:
- I updated iWork and the new file manager is like the Files app, which means you can access files from Dropbox straight from the apps.

I managed this last night. IIRC it happened while I was trying to make a new note (through the settings drawer) with the phone still locked.

vofauKm.jpg

Some thoughts, after dicking around with it for about a day on an iPhone 7:

- Everything is noticeably quicker.
- Google doesn't ask for location every :censored:ing time anymore.
- Safari scrolls a lot nicer.
- I don't like the colorful buttons in the Messages app when the keyboard is hidden. I don't care about apps and emojis.
- I don't need the Cellular Data toggle in the settings drawer and will end up clicking it by accident, cutting me off from the rest of the world. I do like everything else about the new settings drawer, though.
- I've always wanted a file manager, but I'm so used to not having onw now that I don't know what I'll use it for. :lol:
- I updated iWork and the new file manager is like the Files app, which means you can access files from Dropbox straight from the apps.

I managed this last night. IIRC it happened while I was trying to make a new note (through the settings drawer) with the phone still locked.

vofauKm.jpg

I did the sideways kbd on my iPad too :D