iPhone / iOS Thread

I just updated to 11.1.2 last weekend. I?ll give this update some time until 11.2.1 or something comes out. I?m like that podcasts stop when finished and saw this new update gets rid of it.

New phone case time!

DUvShgK.jpg

https://www.tech21.com/en_us/evo-wallet-iphone-7-8-black

Trying something else than leather or fake leather for a change. Hopefully this is a good buy. I will know in a couple of days.

...and iOS 11.2.1 has been released - the eighth update to iOS 11, it's getting ridiculous...

I'll still stay on 10.3.3 since there is absolutely no reason for updating a work phone which does everything I need.

I've just been updating every time I get a notification, and noticing pretty much zilch from each update.... :dunno:

I've just been updating every time I get a notification, and noticing pretty much zilch from each update.... :dunno:

Same. I only do updates because the notifications are annoying.

Eye-Q;n3542093 said:
...and iOS 11.2.1 has been released - the eighth update to iOS 11, it's getting ridiculous...

I'll still stay on 10.3.3 since there is absolutely no reason for updating a work phone which does everything I need.

There's absolutely no reason not to update. :dunno:

And several security issue related reasons to update it.

Hmmm, currently eligible to upgrade my work phone from a 32gb iPhone 7 to a 64gb iPhone 8. Do I do it or do I wait a year for them to discontinue the 8 so I can get an XR or whatever the next lowest iPhone will be.

Depends on how much you dislike the 7, 8 is not much of an upgrade IMO.

Its not an upgrade at all. Only difference is that it has wireless charging, but I don't have any charge pads, so I don't care about that.

Assuming the 8s discontinued in 2020....

Hmmm, currently eligible to upgrade my work phone from a 32gb iPhone 7 to a 64gb iPhone 8. Do I do it or do I wait a year for them to discontinue the 8 so I can get an XR or whatever the next lowest iPhone will be.
Its not an upgrade at all. Only difference is that it has wireless charging, but I don't have any charge pads, so I don't care about that.
Well, there is little difference, if any difference in therms of use. On the inside, the 8 has the A11 Bionic from the X, which is one generation newer than the A10 Fusion in the 7, it's a much more powerful chip. Then again, the XR and the 11 has newer generation chips again, A12 and A13 respectively.

And yes, it has the glass back, which is nice if you are planning on charging it wireless. If not, it's just an annoyance to be honest. Can't say that I'm thrilled to be back with a phone that has the ability to shatter both sides... It was stupid on the iPhone 4, and it is stupid now. Even though they may say that this is "special strong glass" that doesn't break, glass is after all, glass, and has a habit of breaking if you drop it. Also, they just get full of ugly finger prints fast. So my iPhone X lives in a case.

I think they may keep the iPhone 8 around until March next year, when they are rumored to introduce a new iPhone SE, based on the 8, and priced lower, but with the 11's A13 chip. Unfortunately, it will most likely also come with the stupid glass back.

I daren't use my X outside of its case, it looks great but it's begging to be broken. I plan to get an 11 Pro at some point, from what I've read and seen that should be tough enough to go case-less without worrying.

Wireless charging is nice and is pretty much my sole way of charging but not worth it if it stops you getting an X or something else better next year. Is it a 2 year cycle for replacements?

Breaks like a champ, my office mate has an X with the back completely shattered.
Yes, it's almost like being back in the iPhone 4 days, when almost everyone had one with a shattered back (Mine didn't as it lived in a case). They could have used polycarbonate, which can be very strong, but I guess that would be susceptible to scratches, and "nOt fEeL pReMiUm" enough.

Yes, it's almost like being back in the iPhone 4 days, when almost everyone had one with a shattered back (Mine didn't as it lived in a case). They could have used polycarbonate, which can be very strong, but I guess that would be susceptible to scratches, and "nOt fEeL pReMiUm" enough.
They used poly in 3g/gs it didn’t scratch that easily, though it did feel plasticky. I basically have to use a case to mount in the car (I go with magnetic mounts) so it never mattered to me.

They used poly in 3g/gs it didn’t scratch that easily, though it did feel plasticky. I basically have to use a case to mount in the car (I go with magnetic mounts) so it never mattered to me.

this kind of thing is irrelevant to me, my phones live in cases, who cares if the back is glass or plastic? It’s not like I will feel the difference.