iPhone / iOS Thread

My attempt to switch to Android was defeated by my family (they all have iPhones and use FaceTime), so I'm stuck on the Apple bandwagon.

If Apple brings back the finger print scanner I might upgrade, but my iPhone 8+ has been trucking along nicely. Unless Apple "innovates" with a new "mid day mode" that somehow brings the thing to its knees.

The Face ID scanner was such an improvement over the fingerprint reader for me that I can’t ever imagine going back.

I know people have their reasons but I don't see anything wrong with FaceID, it's a whole lot more reliable than the fingerprint scanner was on my old Sony Xperia but I've never used it on an iPhone. Never had an issue with sunglasses and so far I don't think the camera has stolen my soul yet. If Apple of any manufacturer wanted to use pictures of you they would do it and you wouldn't know about it.

As a family we use WhatsApp for chat, works great with our combination of iPhones and Android. You need to put your foot down with a firm hand, @argatoga. :p

I agree, Face ID was an improvement over Touch ID, my main dislike with the X (and up) is the size, this rumored 5,4" seems to rectify that.

I prefer touchID. If mostly because my phone cannot be unlocked by someone grabbing it and putting it in front of me. Yes this did happen on my brief fling with the XS Max.

I hate the fact that WhatsApp is the de facto standard for IM here. The desktop app is lousy (connects to the world via the phone) and there STILL isn't an official iPad app. How many years has it been now?

Meanwhile Facebook Messenger, Telegram or pretty much any other messaging platform under the sun has apps for everything and they aren't bitching and whining that "your phone isn't connected to the internet" like WhatsApp for Web (etc) routinely does. Hell, I bet ICQ has apps for all the platforms.

The iPhone won't unlock unless your eyes are looking at the phone, but I can see how someone can trick you into doing that when you aren't expecting it.

I know people have their reasons but I don't see anything wrong with FaceID, it's a whole lot more reliable than the fingerprint scanner was on my old Sony Xperia but I've never used it on an iPhone. Never had an issue with sunglasses and so far I don't think the camera has stolen my soul yet. If Apple of any manufacturer wanted to use pictures of you they would do it and you wouldn't know about it.

As a family we use WhatsApp for chat, works great with our combination of iPhones and Android. You need to put your foot down with a firm hand, @argatoga. :p

Ha. I'll let you try to convince my sisters. :p

If the sizes of these dummies (the 5,4" in particular) are accurate, then it looks very promising. Notch and camera unit layout is not certain though, as these are dummies made for case makers.

Besides this, I have also heard the rumor that they will not include a charge brick and wire headphones in the box. I'm completely indifferent about that, as I have never used the included headphones with any of my iPhones, I have plenty of charge bricks laying around. Heck, they could even drop the lightning charge cable for all I care, I have several of those laying around as well, they could even switch to USB-C and not include the cable as I have several of those as well.

You can’t have too many charging bricks, but I don’t care about the crappy factory headphones. Never have, never will.

I would love it if they went USB-C, now that my MBP and iPad both are. It’s a tough decision to make, though. I bet they remember the feedback they got when they went to Lightning back in the day. For some reason people went apeshit when Apple changed their connector, even though Samsung and others got a free pass when they did exactly the same thing. There’s also the fact that Airpods are charged over Lightning.

There’s also the rumor that they’ll be going completely wireless, but I really can’t see that happening. There are too many situations where wired charging is needed, like when charging from a power bank in a backpack... just to name one.

Maybe they’ll stick with Lightning for the lesser iPhone and put USB-C on the Pro? That would probably make me choose a Pro next time around.

edit: I’ll be without a computer for a couple of days next week while my MBP is having its battery changed. Of course this has to happen just when I lent out my old spare MacBook to someone. This means I’ll be going iPadOS only.

edit: I’ll be without a computer for a couple of days next week while my MBP is having its battery changed. Of course this has to happen just when I lent out my old spare MacBook to someone. This means I’ll be going iPadOS only.

If it isn't under warranty, you can change the battery yourself. You just need some strong fishing line, rubbing alcohol, and an hour or two of patience.

If it isn't under warranty, you can change the battery yourself. You just need some strong fishing line, rubbing alcohol, and an hour or two of patience.

It’s not under warranty anymore but we‘re filing a consumer protection complaint. I’m expecting it to be free so I’ll have them do it. I’m also getting a new keyboard out of the deal which can’t hurt, even if the old one hasn’t given me any problems at all.

It’s not under warranty anymore but we‘re filing a consumer protection complaint. I’m expecting it to be free so I’ll have them do it. I’m also getting a new keyboard out of the deal which can’t hurt, even if the old one hasn’t given me any problems at all.

You can't beat free. I bought my battery from iFixit for around $100.

Unless the keyboard is faulty or really scuffed up, I wouldn't have it replaced. I may be just paranoid, but having done a MacBook keyboard replacement myself, I wouldn't trust someone to do it without a warrenty. It requires taking the whole thing apart and the technician can make a mistake you may not notice.

Unless the keyboard is faulty or really scuffed up, I wouldn't have it replaced. I may be just paranoid, but having done a MacBook keyboard replacement myself, I wouldn't trust someone to do it without a warrenty. It requires taking the whole thing apart and the technician can make a mistake you may not notice.

I know that ”repairing” aka swapping out a broken keyboard means getting a new battery at the same time since it comes as a complete unit from Apple, so I was under the impression that getting a new battery means you’ll get a new keyboard as well.

This is the last generation of the much maligned keyboards with the short stroke. Mine hasn’t had any issues, though.

Ah. That's a waste on Apple's part. I guess most people toss their laptops when the batteries die, so it's worth the cost savings to use glue instead of adding some studs for screws into the stamping for the top cover.

I guess most people toss their laptops when the batteries die, so it's worth the cost savings to use glue instead of adding some studs for screws into the stamping for the top cover.
My MBP is nowhere near ready to toss out but its battery is dying prematurely for some reason.

My MBP is nowhere near ready to toss out but its battery is dying prematurely for some reason.

I'm betting you're like me and in the minority of Apple customers. Hell, I'm still rocking a 2013 that've thrown into the oven to keep running.

I'm still using my old 2010 MBA... It's kind of slow, but fine for day-to-day tasks like web browsing, YouTube etc... I have not changed battery, but it still has around 2-3 hours of battery life.

2009 MBP. It's not great for parsec or playing 1080p, but it is a magnificent typewriter and foothold on MacOS

Honestly, as long as you have an SSD you should be fine. I still have my AMD A10-5800k going. It is from 2013 but it has an SSD via SATA and 16GB of memory. We've hit a sort of plateau with performance, sure Ryzen 3 has made a splash, but day to day tasks were bottlenecked with data access and we've fixed it.

I'm still waiting for "Who is calling" app - app that would tell me who is calling before answering. There just isn't one that would work like the ones on Android.