iPhone / iOS Thread

I wish Spotify's local files in playlists were more reliable, they do work sometimes.

I still have a couple iPods, 80GB 6th gens I bought a few years ago... When the pandemic ends, I'd be fine with giving up one since they aren't used anymore. I try to plug them in once in a while as they've been refreshed by ebay sellers. At least new batteries...

This of course would mean coming to Ringmeet.

Noob question : Any recommendations for mp3 players? I know, Spotify, itunes etc all have tons of stuff but I’m old and have a massive mp3 collection of which many things are hard to find online.

VLC kinda works, as does VOX but I’m getting frustrated with copying songs file by file and getting many ‘there’s already a file here with that name’ errors. Anything out there that lets me copy whole folders over or is this locked by iOS?
If you want a dedicated music player which you can put all of your local files on, as well as utilizing all kinds of streaming services on, Apple still makes such a thing. They may have tucked it away in the "music" section, but it still there.

I actually bough one (yes, in 2020) and made a post about it earlier this year:

For a while now I have been the go-to guy among my friends whenever we are listening to music, because they generally like my playlists etc. While it is nice that my friends like my taste in music (or that I have odd friends or whatever), my phone's battery life tends to take a blow from this. I also find it to be a nuisance to have my phone hooked up to a speaker via bluetooth, or even physically hooked up to a stereo, every time I'm with my friends and we are having music on in the background, and someone calls me or sends me messages via the plethora of messaging apps that I have to use these days. The fact that my phone is locked down with biometrics also complicates matters when someone wants to add something to the playlist or play queue.

The solution to this was to buy and iPod. So yes, I bought my first iPod in 2020, roughly 15 years after everyone else bought theirs, and ten-to-five years after everyone else I know threw them away.

Since I need to be able to use Spotify, I had to go for the latest generation (7th, introduced last year) iPod Touch, which is the only one they still sell. I got one with 256 GB, as one of the Apple retailers here sold them at a $50 discount, and that meant that I could fit all the music I have on it (both local copies via iTunes/Apple Music, and downloaded content from Spotify), with plenty of space to spare. The A10 Fusion chip in it means it will stay supported with iOS updates for some more years.

Holding it in my hand it is amazing how this makes my iPhone 7 look and feel gigantic. I can't help thinking how cool it would be if Apple managed to make an iPhone that small again.

Last edited:
Apple had this little product called the iPod. Maybe you've heard of it, since you're old? :p It was made for playing pirated mp3 files, long before streaming existed. All these features still exist in your iPhone and iTunes today next to the streaming stuff.

Drop your collection into iTunes (and watch the world crash and burn if your ID3 tags aren't done properly), then copy what you want over to your phone.

Yeah the whole point of getting a phone was one less device to carry around, charge etc.

And dropping my library into itunes would melt ly house down, it’s a whole bunch of different formats, and there’s about 1tb to go through....

In my days we ripped cd’s! This is pre napster even!

MusicBee. It can read the folders and bring them up decently. What I liked about it when getting album art so that music in my Golf would show the album was that you can have the program scan the entire folder and give multiple options/resolutions for the album art. Provided your folders are organized alright which, my library started in iTunes 5, was a bit of a mess.

Thanks this looks to be what I need. I’ll give it a whirl. Also Ringmeet is a definite maybe since I drive electric now, which would mean 2 or 3 charging stops along the way, which is a hassle.... must look into upgrading the egolf before any sort of cross country trip is planned

Thanks this looks to be what I need. I’ll give it a whirl. Also Ringmeet is a definite maybe since I drive electric now, which would mean 2 or 3 charging stops along the way, which is a hassle.... must look into upgrading the egolf before any sort of cross country trip is planned

Does your eGolf have an SD card slot? My '18 GTI and 19 Alltrack have it in place of the cd slot.

I have 2 sd card slots, a usb drive AND a cd player. I use none of those, I usually stream from the phone

WOAH NOW.

But, you could organize your music library on an SD card and throw it in the car.

Sure I could, but it’s just so convenient having everything on the phone....

#firstworldproblems
#lazybastard
I understand, it's why at first before I got a 256GB iPhone from work did I use the spare iPods I have to play music, the convience of adding things to my library, then plugging the device in and it just syncs the new music in was damn nice. None of this "did I add this a already? Have I missed something?" nonsense.

How do you guys handle resuming audio on BT headsets?
I listen to music and podcasts a lot, and I generally keep my phone in my pocket when I do. I just turn on the headset, it connects automagically, press play on the headset, and expect to hear whatever it was I heard last. This will not work on my iPhone ever. I need to unlock (remove facemask because screen unlock) go to the app, open it, and press play EVERY time.

Once done, it does play nicely with the builtin controls on the headphone so those are not broken...

Apple y u do dis? Never had this issue on android ...

I have yet to understand any sense in whether my phone audio will automatically resume in the car or I have to unlock to start. ?‍♂️ Honestly it’s a mystery to me, feels like the phone just decides by flipping a virtual coin or something... the way I understand your description it’s consistent at least!

Thats the weird stuff, in the car it randomly works, or not. Can’t tell why i need to unlock since it’s still random across different apps. CarPlay seems to be better at auto resuming than regular bluetooth though, but sometimes I put the phone in my pocket and it works over bluetooth as if by magic

With the headphones, it never works (unless the app is running and playing audio at that time)

I have yet to understand any sense in whether my phone audio will automatically resume in the car or I have to unlock to start. ?‍♂️ Honestly it’s a mystery to me, feels like the phone just decides by flipping a virtual coin or something... the way I understand your description it’s consistent at least!

With my MazdaConnect and Note9, my car will ONLY ever auto-play the last thing I've watched in VLC, only starting from the beginning...never from where I left off, and never Panorama, Netflix, or anything other than VLC.

Not really impressed with the charging speed of the MagSafe puck. Sure it's fine for charging overnight, but I can't really see Apple going portless in upcoming models unless they manage to speed up the wireless charging significantly.

Not really impressed with the charging speed of the MagSafe puck. Sure it's fine for charging overnight, but I can't really see Apple going portless in upcoming models unless they manage to speed up the wireless charging significantly.

Give me some numbers, what counts as fast these days? My phone takes 4 to 5 hours to charge wirelessly on my shitty aftermarket thingy, but goes from 0 to full in 40 minutes with the usb cable.

For my use case this is fine since, as you say, I mainly use the wireless charger overnight

Give me some numbers, what counts as fast these days? My phone takes 4 to 5 hours to charge wirelessly on my shitty aftermarket thingy, but goes from 0 to full in 40 minutes with the usb cable.

For my use case this is fine since, as you say, I mainly use the wireless charger overnight

I set the phone up from scratch to get rid of some old cruft collected over like three previous iPhones, so I spent most of the evening fiddling with the phone to set everything up. It felt like the percentage didn't even climb when I was using it while charging from MagSafe.

IIRC Apple says the MagSafe puck is 15W while the power brick can deliver 20W. It certainly doesn't feel like the puck was charging anywhere near 15W, considering that the 20W brick is what comes with iPads and is enough to charge my iPad Pro at a reasonable pace.

Was it downloading anything or just idling? I've never expected wireless charging to be fast, the convenience more than makes up for it in my case.

I should say not in my case, because my existing chargers don't work with the 12 Pro Max in this tough case. My new Moment 'thin' case is still in the US waiting to be shipped, don't want to make any drastic decisions until I have it.

Was it downloading anything or just idling? I've never expected wireless charging to be fast, the convenience more than makes up for it in my case.

I should say not in my case, because my existing chargers don't work with the 12 Pro Max in this tough case. My new Moment 'thin' case is still in the US waiting to be shipped, don't want to make any drastic decisions until I have it.

It probably did stuff behind the scenes since I have a decade's worth of photos on iCloud that a new device needs to index etc. As well as everything else.

It probably did stuff behind the scenes since I have a decade's worth of photos on iCloud that a new device needs to index etc. As well as everything else.
Ah yes, having done that recently with 18,000 photos I can confirm that it really drinks power as it does this, I pretty much left mine plugged into power despite this meaning it had to be upside-down on my stand. Once that's done I'd be interested to know how the charger performs, despite not having any intentions of buying a MagSafe case.

Last edited: