iPhone / iOS Thread

It's really neat to just have the puck on your bedstand and hover your phone over it until you feel it go *clonk*. Much better than having to place your phone on a wireless charger, and then accidentally knock it off during the night. The cable could be longer, as usually is the case with iPhone chargers.

I went for the MagSafe Duo to get both that and somewhere to charge my Apple Watch at the same time. It's also practical to be able to fold it together and bring it with me. I do tend to charge my iPhone 12 without the case, as I'm a little afraid the charger will leave round scuff marks on the leather of the case

Personally, I use a case to protect my phone. Taking the case off to avoid scratching it feels a bit backwards.

I totally forgot about the MagSafe Duo. Might get that and use the puck in the car. Brodit came out with a couple of nice MagSafe mounts...

Yeah doing a full install from scratch eats a ton of battery so thats not really a fair test

Hmm, I have a fat otterbox case so I don’t care about scratches, I just plop it down and it usually works wherever I put it on the charger. My wife’s LG phone is a lot fussier about where it is on the charge pad, but she has one of those thick wallet covers with cards in it and stuff, that might interfere.

My 5w charger lives on the nightstand, and is sufficient to charge the phone in 4 or so hours... I have a 10w one aswell but never measured the speed

I went for the 30W Belkin charge brick. In addition to the 20W USB-C output it also has a secondary USB-A port, into which I have the charger for my B&O H5 plugged in. Convenient so I don't have to swap cables around. For travelling I have one of those 18W Apple adapters.

Regarding the case, I don't use a case when I'm at home, as I like the design of the 12 mini so much. With the case, I'm fine with normal wear and tear of the leather, but the MagSafe seems to make a sort of circular scuff on it, which looks weird.

The numbers are in for my 10w charger. 2 hrs gave me a little over 63% so 3 or so hours should get me to full.

Not bad, given the fact the charger was a 10€ no brand impulse buy...

I'm feeling dumb, I didn't realise that the phones actually had the MagSafe magnets inside them, I thought it required a case. I just got my new Moment case (3 day delivery from the US - impressive) and when I went to fit it I could see the outline of the magnets in dust on the back of the phone.

Anyway I have the new case on and it works better on my wireless charger, currently drawing 1A at 5V so not fast but quick enough, it isn't getting very hot either, something it did in the last case I had when I could kind of make it work. Clearly it was too far from the coil.

The stand I have here is this Spigen one, it's great as with my X there was no issue of placement, as long as it was on the stand it charged. It would've been nice if they had placed the charging coil lower on the 12 Pro Max as it's just too high up, I have to sit it horizontally on the stand (it has two coils). I'll probably modify the 'foot' of the charging base to let it sit lower, I'm probably going to do the same to the charger I have for the Tesla to allow the coils to line up.

FIFTY BUCKS!!! Ah wth am I even complaining about, there's people in here with the Apple Duo thing lol :D

And here's me with the 15€ (incl. charger) Nokia Fatboy Qi charger from 100 years ago because I find the design/idea funny and don't care that it only delivers 5W (same in the car, oh also: iphone X still).
1611236498514.png

FIFTY BUCKS!!! Ah wth am I even complaining about, there's people in here with the Apple Duo thing lol :D
I saw that but I definitely didn't pay that, I paid £15.99 in 2018. No way I'd pay that. :LOL:

I hadn't seen a charging beanbag before, neat idea.

I modified my charging stand, it works with the phone standing up now.

Yeah I can be a really cheapass sometimes.

I must admit I had a bit of an evil grin on my face when I switched that thing to forbid that tracking thing :D

Also, as I was in the office today and had to wear a mask a lot of the time: that automatic phone unlock from apple watch is a godsend - although I wish the watch would allow for a more secure pin than the maximum 10 numbers it is currently limited to...

I also updated both my iPhone 12 mini, Apple Watch 4 and my M1 MacBook Air to the latest software today. Unlock with Apple Watch is very practical to have, especially as we have to wear face masks in stores and on busses etc. Wonder why it took so long to implement, should have rolled out a year ago. It works really well most of the time on the Mac, but it can be a bit slow. Feels a little bit faster now with the latest update.

Watch Unlock has been on the mac for a long time.

makes it all the more confusing that it took so long to be included for iOS, right? I’ve already gotten very much used to it, good stuff!

makes it all the more confusing that it took so long to be included for iOS, right? I’ve already gotten very much used to it, good stuff!

Yes, I don't understand why it didn't come out a year ago.

My iPhone somehow knows my masked face and unlocks the phone. I don’t know how or why (maybe after x unlocks with masky face it registers it as a variant of my regular face?).

Also you guys want LONGER passwords? Is it too convenient now? I’m obligated (because company phone) to 8 letters uppercase lowercase and a number which is a pain….

I honestly never have to use my Apple Watch pin because the watch unlocks when my phone does, and that is done with Face ID (once when I put the watch on). However, now if the watch can unlock my phone… I want more than max 10 numbers as a barrier there.