iRacing.com Motorsports Simulations

Not really... It does add up though. I've spent more then I thought I would on it. But really it's the best sim there is. You don't need the best of the best equipment to be competitive. I raced last season with just a DFP wheel, and decided to get some clubsport pedals mid season. Running with a single screen. I finished 4th overall in div 2. I'd say thats average at best equipment.

Practice is what makes you better. The more you do it, the better you get. When I first started on iRacing, I had some previous experience with racing online, (LFS and a tiny bit of rFactor) and thought iRacing would feel pretty similar and be just as easy. But I was shocked at how different it felt. So I simply practiced more and more, and got to where I am now. I'm not alien, but I'm not slow anymore. Can normally finish top 5 in races, providing nothing silly happens, and my crappy broadband holds up. I feel really bad if I'm blinking all over the show, so I normally just pull over and let them go by.

Yes it is expensive. But I don't think anything comes close to it. I have been pretty addicted to iRacing since I first tried it in June.

To me... The best online racing sim money can buy at the moment.

I know but practice and average equipment can only get you so far.
To be really competitive you just need a nice setup. Force feedback is a must, some responsive pedals or you'll be spinning all over the place, added to monthly fees and fees for the cars and tracks... it just adds up for most people I believe and that's the main problem when attracting new racers.
After all the amount of people who enjoy a really good simulation is already quite small (if we're talking compared to those who enjoy need for speed sort of games, tiny if we compare it to call of duty or world of warcraft), if you shoo some away with the fees.. it's hard to make it grow like that, that's all I'm saying.

You are most definitely correct. It's a shame content costs so much. And I think they will be really struggling to bring in new racers, which is a shame, because it's just so good.

If they ever get it cheaper more people will probably join up.

Promotions at least are good... When I joined for 5$ for a month it was a bargain of course, then I got distracted with other things and haven't raced and now I received an email that they'll let me join again for 3 months at the cost of one, so I might take it up again.
Still have the same shitty wheel and pedals though heheh

well I read somewhere that iRacing as a company close to breaking even and about to be in the black. So I think it would be a safe guess to say once there total revenue has matched their investment and iRacing starts to become profitable, the price of content will drop.

In my opinion though, I don't think iRacing is that expensive. 8 bucks a month, then 10 bucks for a car and track. 20 dollars for a new car and track for a nights entertainment is rather cheap when you compare it to going out to dinner or the movies, or just other useless things people spend money on. but thats just me.

Last edited:
It's sure a hell of a lot cheaper than real racing, that's for sure. It'll take quite a few years of iRacing fees before I'll match the cost of just one set of Hoosiers.

Now if I could just figure out how to not suck at iRacing. I swear, it's harder than driving a real car.

In my opinion though, I don't think iRacing is that expensive. 8 bucks a month, then 10 bucks for a car and track. 20 dollars for a new car and track for a nights entertainment is rather cheap when you compare it to going out to dinner or the movies, or just other useless things people spend money on. but thats just me.

Do you drive with your willpower? Cos the cheapest wheel that'll get you somewhere is around 150$... Funnily enough I doubt iRacing receives anything from wheel sales.

It's a tricky business I guess. It's like you're racing with a record and you don't wanna make a fool of yourself, it's pretty hard and quite intimidating at times, trying to run a race and not ruin it for someone else, and to really have fun you either have to be a true sim racing enthusiast or some sort of maniac who doesn't care about causing havoc xD
I'd also like to see the community grow, but it's quite a hard game. Can be really easy to be put off by it.

I think a good idea would be to make a separate "newbie" or "general public" rules or something like that, where you can get initiated and the more casual racers can hang out before they decide to go "pro" rules.
By newbie rules what I mean is stuff like ... no damage, a bit more forgiving physics, and specially some other view than 'helmet cam', something like bumper cam or T-camera cam-like F1. I think it'd attract more people and at least some of them would make the jump into the main division.

Last edited:
I just reactivated my account for 3 months... sucker me :D
Went on practice at Lime Rock and I'm 1.5 seconds behind the top laps, at around 1.01.something... which doesn't totally suck after being 4 months away and getting spoiled by such games as F1 2010 and TDU2

What's the difference between the MX-5 cup and the Roadster? Do they both compete in the same "division"? (Im guessing the nVidia cup, I see no other series there that I can race on)
The cup seemed a lot more agile and with shorter gears, but I can't find much info on the vehicle details...

Last edited:
They are identical except the roadster is 5 speed and the cup is 6 speed.

I've found the roadster to be about 5 tenths quicker. More usable gears, less shifting. There's splitting the torque with more gears and then there's grabbing 5th gear at 92. The cup's just too much work and you don't ever use 6th gear anyway.

Last edited:
Yeah I noticed too much shifting was required to stay on the power on certain places, but the cup felt a lot more stable under braking... perhaps it's all a placebo effect. I did almost identically slow times on both :D but that's a problem with the driver not the car.

i use the cup just because I am used to left hand drive. I cant judge the angle of the corner and turn in point in a right hand drive car. It just messes me up.

I noticed that too and I found it odd. Perhaps that's what's throwing me off in the Roadster.

Need more practice, I do

iRacing seems to be having quite a lot of trouble dealing with running the 500. almost 2000 people registered for it and it crashed the servers. The rescheduled it for 6:30 EST and they got the servers back up, and now they crashed again. The whole member site is down. There are some very angry people rage quitting on the forums right now ;).

Last edited:
50 even lol. Pretty much the biggest event at iRacing. Thats if they can get it to work lol. I hope they can, but I won't be there. Haven't practiced enough and my connection is way to terrible to run at Daytona, unless I just cruise by myself at the back, but what fun is that?

50 even lol. Pretty much the biggest event at iRacing. Thats if they can get it to work lol. I hope they can, but I won't be there. Haven't practiced enough and my connection is way to terrible to run at Daytona, unless I just cruise by myself at the back, but what fun is that?

If you take part and an iRacer wins the real 500 you get 5 bucks.

Yeah, I know, right?

*Sigh*, I wanted to do the 00:00 Corvette race but I guess I'll just go play SupCom or something.

Last edited:
Are they going for the record on the most simultaneous online crashes (server and cars)?