iRacing.com Motorsports Simulations

Yeah, it is, but hopefully they can make it sound like that. Especially the lifting off sound. Just sounds powerful...

Also, my car features in that vid. At 7.54. The yellow DP stuck behind the red one. I remember that race well. It didn't end well lol.

Last edited:
I just wrote this post on the forums, thought I'd share. It turns out the new tire model is going to make an even bigger splash than expected.

What can't the new tire model fix? said:
I mean seriously. The new tire model is going to be such a godsend. After this new interview on iRacing TV (excellent episode BTW) about the new tire model, I got to thinking about various problems with the simulation that will likely be cured by the new tire model.

Obviously the first and foremost the New tire model will fix the stupendous amounts of slip angle and excessive heat buildup that the fast guys generate. Those tires will be toast after 2 corners. Slow and steady wins the race after all.

But then you also have slide recovery. At the moment, when you get a slide coming out of a high speed corner, it's basically game over. Lock the brakes, let go of the wheel, and pray you don't take out too many other cars as you bounce around down the back stretch at Road America. You simply cannot save any slides, at all. I've seen a couple of comparison videos between iRacing and real Star Mazdas doing that little squiggly-slidey back and forth deal, with the rear tires sliding around all over the place, and it's just not possible to do in iRacing. You'd spin out. No one has that good of car control. The real drivers must have much, much more forgiving cars and tires than we, because I just don't see how they could possibly cope like that. But with the new Tire Model, I wouldn't be surprised if I never spin again. In fact, I'm expecting it. I can't wait to take the IndyCar and link-drift the whole of Laguna Seca.

All that sounds totally wonderful. But then I started to think about how this will change other areas of the sim, too. Like netcode, for example. The predictive net code has to work overtime at the moment, because the drivers are working the wheel so hard to combat the woeful tire model we have now. The code just can't keep up, and I now realize that it must be the cause of the phantom 4x. With the New Tire Model, the netcode can rest easy, because drivers will be using smooth, fluid movements, and that will mean the predictive net code is more accurate and predictive, which will mean closer racing. And with closer racing, it means everyone will get more wins and podiums, because as everyone knows, those aliens only know how to hot lap.

But it gets even better for the network, because since the NEW Tire Model is taking so much load off the predictive net code, I predict all of our connections will get better too. I did some calculating earlier, and I found that with the predicted improvements taking load off the network, our pings should all drop by at least 60%. Some of the guys closer to the server farms should be seeing close to 0ms ping times.

And all this talk of making things easier on the network trickles down, too. The NEW TIRE MODEL will take such a burden off of the shoulders of the network, that iRacing's internet bill is going to shrink drastically. That means iRacing's service cost will drop. How much? Well, I did some calculating on that, too, and I found that since iRacing's internet bill is approximately 87% of the company's expenditure, it should take about 80% off the price of the subscription fee.

That's right, not only will the NEW TIRE MODEL fix all the exploits, cheats, and purely unrealistic driving we see today on the service, but we will also get 0ms ping times, more race wins (those aliens will be put in the back of the grid where they belong) and a whole year of iRacing for $19.99.

What can't be fixed by the new tire model? Bravo, iRacing. Bravo.

I can't wait to see the replies.

Last edited:
I finally renewed my subscription. Mostly so I could race in full racing garb to get a feel for it. Its been a while, so I'm sorta rusty. A week to practice before school!

I just wrote this post on the forums, thought I'd share. It turns out the new tire model is going to make an even bigger splash than expected.

I can't wait to see the replies.

I think I detect just a hint of sarcasm there;)

seriously though, I do think the new tire model will solve some of the major issues, such as drifting around every corner to go fast.

I don't find that you have to drift that much to go fast. Maybe it's an oval thing? But on roads I seem to be quick enough to place top 5 providing nothing crazy happens. Depends on how strong the field is of course. Recently though I just haven't been driving good. Not really preparing for races and just making stupid mistakes. Plus my latency has been awful recently. Getting weird things happen mid race, like everyone disappearing for a second lol. Always entertaining for me.

Well, when I started in iRacing, having not competed in any simulation before, I was obviously quite slow compared to other drivers.
A good part of the learning process was watching other people race in the same car at the same circuit, see where they were gaining time on me.
I noticed there was a slight slide-ness about how they drove (the Solstice, at that time) and now with the MX-5 is much more accentuated. I did get the impression that, driving like that, would not give great results in real life, destroying the tyres and honestly not giving that much faster times than what I was trying to do which was approaching the bends on the racing line braking before etc, being smooth.

So if what you wrote is right MadCat, I am looking forward to the new model. Cos honestly I don't see myself controlling the slides and producing the times the top guys are getting with my wheel, without force feedback or anything aiding me to get a feel for a car sliding.

I was sort of serious about the slide stuff. I've always found the sliding to be a little snappy when coming back, and there are some pretty crazy displays of drifting to go fast in the COT at the shorter tracks. It's not so much of a problem on the road side. I think the tire model is already pretty good. It feels perfect up to about 95%, then it starts to get a little strange but not too bad. The tires will probably only feel different for the guys really pushing it.

Well tyre wear would just take care of that.. 5 laps into the race you'r need a new rear right for sure

So I was having drinks over at camsinny's house last night and we decided to see how we'd fare at iracing when under the influence. After six drinks I still somehow managed to pull a 59.4s lap at Lime Rock in the MX5.

I couldn't say much for our consistency however.

I dunno what it is about the MX5 for me. I'm sort of fast in it, yeah, but being such an easy car to drive I would've thought I'd be more competitive. I'm 2 tenths off a sub-1 minute lap at lime rock. Though, I do admit that I haven't put a ton of time into it. I just can't get over that tremendous mid-corner understeer. The harder you throw it in the worse it gets. I thought the MX5 would become my new favorite but the old Solstice does more for me to be honest. If I could get the Roadster transmission ratios in the Solstice I'd be really happy.

I still like the Mustang the most though. Daytona Prototype a close second. Maybe the Skip Barber after that.

I'm going to force myself to love the LMP2 though. The Ford GT-R might be a surprise favorite. Unless I'm forgetting something, it'll be the first mid-engined GT car in the game. Might produce some fun results.

Last edited:
It's an awesome drinking game too. Have to beat the other player's fastest lap but when you get inc. points you take that number of drinks (i.e. if you nail the wall and get 3x inc. points that's 3 drinks)
Best on ovals I reckon...

MX-5 just annoys me, to be honest. I find it just easy to drive. The understeer is annoying, but it's just basically, throw it in, and wait until you can get full throttle, just because the back doesn't tend to rip loose like others. It's gearbox is also horrible I find. Seem to find neutral a lot for upshifts.

I don't like the Mustang that much. I think the Grand Am season put me off just because a lot of drivers were pretty annoying lol. Daytona is still my fave by a mile, although it feels a bit iffy since the last update to me. Quite easy to spin on the slower stuff now if you're not awake.

I too am looking forward to the LMP2 a lot. I'm hoping it'll be as good as it looks in real life. I wonder what iRacing plan to do with the new classes of cars. Maybe 3 car class grids? If they do, I really hope they'll let the splits be as big as possible. More traffic is just more fun to me!

I just found my favorite car in all of iRacing. I just bought the Lotus 79 and I am completely in love with it. Its just a joy to drive, and the sound it makes is amazing. I just spent the last hour driving it in a test session at Watkins Glen. I must have racked up almost 30 consecutive laps. I have never had that much fun in a test session, ever. When I get my road B license, I will definitely be driving this one. Its a shame its not popular though. People are missing out.

It is a fantastic car. But to be competetive is just so difficult. What kinda times are you running? On Watkins classic boot, I was only able to do a 1.32.3. The world record currently stands at 1.28.6. Almost 4 seconds difference. And I really thought I nailed that lap. In races I just find it so difficult to be able to actually race, just because peoples skill levels are massively different. It is a fantastic car though, and I'm sure if it was more popular I would defo try and get faster.

So after that small rant about prices, I went on a bit of a buying spree. :lol: School is driving (no pun intended) me crazy and this will be a good way to release some tension.

Bought the Mustang, Falcon, and Williams along with Zandvoort, Road Atlanta, and Spa. Figured if I was buying anything, I was gonna get that 20%, and now I'm pretty much set for having something fun to drive each week in varying combinations for the rest of the season.

First impressions after a couple hours going over each car.

The Mustang is a surprising car. I was expecting a lumbering oaf, which it kind of is, but there is plenty of power going to the rear wheels to balance that out. If you find too much understeer in a turn, a quick dab of the throttle with put the rear end out and get you into a nice, fairly easy to control slide. I didn't check common times, but just a few laps on Summit Point got me to a 1:22.

The Falcon is equally surprising. I knew it was going to be a handful of a car, but not in the way it actually is. This car has a serious understeer problem with no gas, a horrible oversteer problem with a gas, and is quite squirrelly under braking. The good news is, though, that I think it will behave much better after some adjustments (in the braking portion at least).

Then there is the Williams. Not much to say other than it is a kick in the pants and has near infinite amounts of grip. The hardest factor of this car isn't so much the speed, but your expectations of it. The car absolutely blows away expectations of how fast it can go through a turn. It will take me a while to get used to that.

Overall, these will be some very fun cars. Most my time will be spent on the Mustang I think, then the Falcon on the side after I can get used to it more. I'll be driving it alongside the Mazda for C license. The Williams will mostly be for shits and giggles now and then in Formula Fun, I think. At least until (if ever) I get my A license.

Then there is the Williams. Not much to say other than it is a kick in the pants and has near infinite amounts of grip. The hardest factor of this car isn't so much the speed, but your expectations of it. The car absolutely blows away expectations of how fast it can go through a turn. It will take me a while to get used to that.

If that's how much a shitty F1 car surprises you, imagine a Ferrari or McLaren (or now the new kid on the block, Red Bull)... :D

Last edited:
Oooooo, this new update is pretty slick. Check this out:

Physics

- In oval qualifying or time trial sessions tires no longer generate any heat at speeds of less than 30 mph.

- Fix so that engine oil pressure does not instantly go to zero if motor is turned off, instead only if motor has exploded or if rpm falls below idle rpm down to zero rpm.

- Make all engines stallable. Luckily the anti-stall clutch aid is awesome so people should never see the motor stall unless they turn off the ignition.

- Enable the engine ignition code, now the Ignition control works, toggling ignition on/off. Engine ignition defaults to on every time the car is placed in the world.

- The auto-starter should always instantly start the car up when the car is placed in the world. At other times the auto-starter waits 2 seconds before trying to restart the car.

New Pit Crew with Damage Repair

The existing pit crew has been replaced with a new scripting system that allows much more flexibility, allowing each car to have it's own unique pit stop behavior, and also allowing the pit crew to make repairs to a damaged car. This new pit crew with the ability to repair damage is now on the following cars: Impala A, Impala B, Silverado, Williams FW31, Dallara, Riley DP, Mustang FR500S. All other cars still have the old style pit crew with no damage repair, and none of the following updates in this section apply to them.

- There is a new race control rule called the Repairs Needed rule. This rule will show a meatball black flag (a black flag with an orange circle in the middle) if race control has decided your car must pit for repairs - a smoking engine or some kind of leak will trigger a meatball. You must pit within 4 laps - INCLUDING caution laps - to have your car seen to or race control will disqualify you. Finishing the race while carrying the meatball black flag will not give any post race penalty, so it is feasible to limp a car to the finish if you're close enough to the end of the race. Race control will not issue a meatball black flag to a driver who is being shown the white flag, or after race is over.

- Your car will not be allowed to leave it's pitstall if the pit crew are not able to repair your car enough to pass black flaggable levels of damage. Your pit crew will tell you that they can't fix your car.

- The pit crew can now try to repair a car that is damaged. Each car is unique in what can be repaired, how it is repaired, and how much it can be repaired, and how quickly it can be repaired. Generally any damaged component of a car will not be able to be repaired as good as 100% new, but the pit crew give it their best shot. Some parts of some cars are not repairable, for instance, carbon fiber components are typically not fixable once they break.

- Your pitstall information box will shows you the amount of time remaining for required and optional repairs. Required repairs are what repairs must be done to clear the Repairs Needed black flag and be allowed back onto the track. Work on required repairs is begun as various pit crew members finish their pitstop tasks and are free to begin working on your damage. You will not be allowed to exit your pit stall until required damage repairs are completed. Once they are completed the pit flagger will lift his lollipop and you may choose to drive away if you don't want to spend time working on optional repairs, but if you sit and wait, they will work on optional repairs for as long as you want to wait for. Just because you can drive away may not mean you should - if your car has severe damage it may be difficult to drive and off pace unless you spend time fixing it up, it is up to you to make that decision.

- Any penalties are served once all regular pitstop activities and required damage repair are completed, but before any optional damage begins repairing. The flagger guy will hold you in your stall until the penalty is served, then lift his lollipop and you may choose to drive away if you don't want to spend time working on optional repairs.

- If required repairs plus penalties will take more than 30 seconds, or if optional repairs will take more than 30 seconds, the pit crew will turn off the engine until the end of the pitstop so that engines won't blow up from overheating while idling for a long time. Pressing the accelerator or using the starter will tell the pit crew to turn the motor back on if you want to drive away during optional repairs, but they will keep turning the motor off if you leave it idling again.

- Now that we have the pit crew making repairs, we no longer need the old style "fast tows" that instantly reset the car to brand new during races which is useful in lower level races to give drivers a chance to continue after a wreck. Instead, and more intuitively, the pit crew can do "fast repairs," which they will do at the start of your pitstop in an instant before commencing the rest of your pitstop sequence if you have a "fast repair" available. The pit crew will do a "fast repair" if anything on the car needs any repair at all, and consumes an available fast repair. If you pit with a perfectly undamaged car, a fast repair will not be used up. When you have used up your available fast repairs for a race, the pit crew will only be able to repair the car in the normal, slow, not-100% fashion. This fast repair will fully fix anything that is broken on the car to brand new, and magically cool off anything that is overheated (so that your motor will not immediately re-explode). But your pit crew will still have to replace tires and add fuel as usual.