iRacing.com Motorsports Simulations

I'm almost Rookie 3.0, looking forward to racing the SRF :D and later the Skip Barber and SK modified at 4.0

Just set the 13th fastest qual time in my division (Div 3) for Brands, 1:41.594.

Race in a minute... we'll see how I do. Hope I'm not in the top splits again... even so, my iRating has been steadily climbing after the disastrous season opener at Infineon.

EDIT: My Division polesitter got, well, pole. I started 3rd. He had a faster lap time than me but he was inconsistent. He half spun and I motored on by. Led the rest of the race and won by 2 seconds. My first Skippy win! A good bagfull of points and a good iRating increase as well.

Last edited:
I actually attempted a couple of practice sessions last night. Man, they were fun. I still don't have the wheel yet, but I'm getting good enough with the controller to be able to make it around the course. My lap times are nothing to shout about. With the game pad, its nothing to go from no steering to full 900degree steering lock and back in no time. The game will respond to that movement, so I do a lot of understeering as I don't realize the wheels are turned all the way. It still fun as crap. A lot of what I'm doing is to test the system performance and just get used to how things work.

So I got the system up and running. Its an AMD Althon 64 X2 6000+ with 4gb of ram. The hard drive is a 10k rpm WD 150gb drive. I have a PCI express Nvidia 8600GT 256mb and a 7600GT 128mb in there. I also have 3 24" monitors set up. I have to use softth to do the triplescreen, so there is software overhead in playing the game. I've gotten it sorted so by myself i'm getting 60 fps+. I've only been on track with a few cars, but its never dropped below 50fps at any time that I've seen. We will see. The 2nd card doesn't do anything but draw the 2nd and 3rd monitors. I have them running at 16bit color and at a lower resolution that the main monitor to boost the framerate. They are mostly peripheral vision anyway, so I don't think it will be noticeable. I'l grab a pic once I get the steering wheel in for my brother.

I'll probably race the Skippy @ Sebring making it my first race in ages. I still need work, but I hit a PB of 1:31.012. My biggest problem with the Skippy is that the rear steps out at times especially at speed any suggestions? I love having the rear snap to help turn on medium/slow speed turns such as the hairpin at Sebring, but the back section of the course along with the final turn are killing me. If I only had a bit more rear grip I'd be flying with this thing..

I'll probably race the Skippy @ Sebring making it my first race in ages. I still need work, but I hit a PB of 1:31.012. My biggest problem with the Skippy is that the rear steps out at times especially at speed any suggestions? I love having the rear snap to help turn on medium/slow speed turns such as the hairpin at Sebring, but the back section of the course along with the final turn are killing me. If I only had a bit more rear grip I'd be flying with this thing..

What you're going to want to do is lower the tire pressures first. I'd take them down to 25-27 PSI. Higher PSI will make the car easier to catch and recover from slides, but low PSI (22-24) will give you the best grip. I'm using 25R 26F right now. Sebring requires good stability, so I'd leave the roll bar where it is or increase the stiffness if it feels like it's falling over in the corners (more grip = more body roll = more body roll control required). 4 was too little for me, I have it on 6 right now after 1 hour practice session. Be careful in the slow stuff though, it'll get a bit pointier without downforce. I'd set the perches at + 2 or 3 to start. I'd leave the brake bias at 62 until you really learn the ropes - the final turn and turn 1 are both really nasty if you have the brake bias too far back. I'm running 58 brake bias and that seems just right for me.

On driving it, you'll need to recalibrate the way you trail brake. It's heavily rearward weight biased with a slim track, so it's going to be very pointy off the throttle with no brake applied.

The only real way to control it by trail braking is either to hold some throttle as you turn in, effectively moving the brake bias forward, or trail brake really hard so that the fronts are being used more than the rear, causing understeer. If you trail brake lightly you'll spin if you're not exceedingly smooth. You can drive this car conventionally, you just need to reverse the way you think about trail braking. Also try to stay either on the brake or throttle at all times, and only lift in a straight line, not during cornering.

Had a great race at laguna seca, some really close but clean racing, many lead switches but I was victorious in the end thanks to this pass on the inside at turn 4 :D
iracingSolstice.jpg

Yes, I'm aware that my livery needs work :) (I'm car #6)

So eagerness got the better of me and I did a couple of races. Ovals aren't too hard with the gamepad. I wouldn't dream of a road race event. So two oval races at Lanier in the Legends Rookie car. First race was awful. Lots of spins ahead of me, two of which collected me. I think I held on for 7th. Was really annoyed.
The second race, an hour later, was much better. I started 5th, made it up to 3rd on the start after a brilliantly timed start. I faded back to 6th after a while. My lap times just aren't that good with a game pad. I expected to fall back some. At about lap 30/40 I found a stradegy for getting lower, consistent lap times, and I started gaining on the car in front of me. Lap 32 rolls around and 3rd and 4th place get together, not too far in front of me. I was close enough to see it happen pretty clearly. I never even lifted. I chose a line and went. I thought that myself and the car in 5th would make it through, but they slowed... so up to 3rd, weaving around cars, I went. :) I held it on for the rest of the race. While its only a podium and not a win, I am happy with the result especially considering the gamepad thing. :) This is a good game.

^That's a very impressive feat! Sounds like an exciting race,
it's a great feeling when you can just get on a good line and blast past the guy in front of you without having to lift or swerve :D
Sadly it doesn't go that way very often :p

^ speaking of, I just had a pretty big incident at Sebring. Coming out of turn 2, I was in 4th and 2nd and 3rd bumped and spun in front of me, blocking my path. I braked hard, and more guys piled into me. When the dust settled, most of the field was resetting to the pits.

I finished 5th.

An interesting thing I noticed about Sebring is, even though it's a 2-minute 25 second lap and it's just as many laps as Brands, but I wasn't using as much fuel as I thought. I loaded up to 3.8 gallons at the start, but I finished with 2 gallons still left (the Skippy runs dry with 1 gallon left in the tank, or there about).

Last edited:
I need to find another 2 seconds on laguna seca to be competitive for podium finnishes.
But first I need a better qualifying time, starting mid-pack and being taken out on T1 by some idiots that think they can win the race in the first turn and thus being over-agressif, braking way to late.

Thanks guys. iRacing is amazing (do you capitalize that at the start of a sentence?). I'm still "playing" in that I'm just expirementing and learning the systems. I think I've read about each car included, watched some youtube videos to get a feel for it, and even have my plan as to what gets purchased when. I want to get all the content now.. but its just too much money all at once. I got another podium, but it was all down to accident avoidance. I'm not that fast to get them through speed and racing. Not yet at least. I seriously need to start a blog or something. :)

I really wasn't interested in oval racing, but it really can be fun. I also have that completionist thing about me where I want all the licenses I can get.. so I'll be going for oval and road licenses. I'm looking forward to the Monte Carlo SS Late models, Impalas, and even the trucks a little. I will say I am not intersted in the Silver Crown and SK Modified cars at all. Luckily, there is a companion oval car for those license classes.

Road racing is where I am very eager. Skip barber, Jetta, Corvette, V8 Supercars, Star Mazda, Radicals, and DP cars are just begging me to drive em. I'm really looking forward to moving up in the ranks. Luckily, it seems, that it takes a while to move from one license to another. This annoys my eagerness, but pleases my pocketbook.

Now if that steering wheel will just get here :)

The Vette sucks just saying...Ovals are fun no matter the car lots of precision required.

Really? That is surprising. What makes it suck?
I watched a great Corvette vs Falcon race. That would explain the over abundance of Falcons in that race. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UXSPo5t0B8

That was right when the Falcon came out, so naturally everyone wanted a piece of it. Most bit off more than they could chew, and have since lost interest in it, or so I'm told - it handles like a pig. These days it would be a more balanced field.

I'm also told that the Corvette needs a good setup to be fun. The throttle is crazy sensitive, you get more than half the engine's torque at 20%. So without a good setup (which the basic setups are not), you'll struggle on the exits. The Corvette isn't the most popular car, in any case. But subscriber numbers are climbing, so that will be fixed (I think it's about 50 people joining every day), and it will also probably be paired with something as a mixed series soon enough. The developers are also looking at new ideas to increase participation.

The Mustang could prove to be the most popular tin top.

I personally love the Falcon with a decent setup it's quite fun but predictable. My biggest gripe with the Vette is that the front end feels very numb especially with the FFB that I get with my wheel.

I've just started playing iRacing, and I have to say it's to finally be able to play some decent online racing with not so many wreckers. In the rookies I guess there's always going to be a few wrecks. But It's still better than most I've found. I'm currently getting my SR rating up, trying to get it to 4.0 on roads, and haven't really given oval a try yet. Road rating is 3.77, so i'm thinking 4 clean races and i'll get to my D licence.

I'm struggling to find time on Laguna. I've got my lines ok, (at least I think I do) and currently running 1.50's ish, sometimes I brake into the high 1.49's, but the guys that finish first are averaging 1.49's and best laps of 1.48's. It's frustrating me as I'm clean but starting to finish lower than I did earlier on lol.

Looking forward to trying some faster cars later on!

I've just started playing iRacing, and I have to say it's to finally be able to play some decent online racing with not so many wreckers. In the rookies I guess there's always going to be a few wrecks. But It's still better than most I've found. I'm currently getting my SR rating up, trying to get it to 4.0 on roads, and haven't really given oval a try yet. Road rating is 3.77, so i'm thinking 4 clean races and i'll get to my D licence.

I'm struggling to find time on Laguna. I've got my lines ok, (at least I think I do) and currently running 1.50's ish, sometimes I brake into the high 1.49's, but the guys that finish first are averaging 1.49's and best laps of 1.48's. It's frustrating me as I'm clean but starting to finish lower than I did earlier on lol.

Looking forward to trying some faster cars later on!
Welcome to the game, although I just started playing too! I wish I could offer you some Laguna advice, but I still can't really do any road races yet. I've driving Laguna in real life, but it was in a Ford F650 tow truck.. so not really applicable :) besides, most of the laps I've done in real life were sitting backwards on the tow truck :)

Last edited:
So i've just got promoted to D class. Whoop Whoop. Had 3 really good races. The first race started in 7th, and moved up the field to claim second place. The next race I started 5th and managed to get into 1st. I got overtaken on lap 10/11 and thought I was beaten, but then on the final lap I just kept the pressure on and he spun out just after the corkscrew. And then the next race I was running 2nd and going up the hill towards the corkscrew my engine popped :( and only managed to secure 6th, but was still fun none the less.