iRacing.com Motorsports Simulations

Care to share that setup?

I usually find miata races clean for me. Even the story I gave earlier I'd classify as a clean race, for each incident was just from drawn out battling. Just did a race on Laguna Seca, though, and I might have decided never to do 13th week racing again. All the idiots seem to come out to play. After being nearly run off the track in the corkscrew and rear ended into turn 1, both horribly botched pass attempts by my opponents, all hopes of getting an SR boost to get above 3.0 died. Most sadly, though, is my power cut out about halfway through the race, so I couldn't make anything up. Damn, I say.

And congrats GT VIRUS. Do you plan on driving any A series?

And the video I promised. Not sure if it's actually worth watching for everyone, but I certainly found this race one of my most fun.

Last edited:
Driving the GT now on the NTM with the fixed setup is like being pipolar.

You're going along and you're going "this is alright" and then you get to a high speed corner and it's like "ffffffffuuuuuuuuuu" and then you do a chicane and it's like "WTF?" but then you get these little snippets of moments when the car does something very realistic and responds like you'd expect and it's all "WOW that was awesome!"

I feel like the NTM is throwing me for a loop. I still don't know if I like it.

EDIT:

First LMS race of the... ever. No quals. Fine. It'll be gridded like the GT Cup or the GrandAm series.

http://img43.imageshack.**/img43/9012/crazygrid.jpg

... right?

(Hint: Corvettes are yellow. LMPs are blue. Ford GTs are red)

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuu-

http://img97.imageshack.**/img97/7859/crazystart.jpg

No one crashed on the first lap!

Everything_went_better_than_expected.png

Last edited:
That sounds hilariously fun.

Someone on the forums, the previous series Champion it seems, posted all their setups for the falcon in the forum. They have instantly made the car far more manageable and I'm actually able to drive it now. I highly suggest checking it out if you don't currently have good setups.

I think this is a first for me. I just spent the evening practicing in the Falcon with Shane van Gisbergen, the actual Ford V8 Supercar driver. Pretty cool. Naturally, he has about 3.5 seconds on me.

Last edited:
Has anyone done a decent number of miles on both ovals and road courses with the new tire model? I'd like to hear opinions about it. There seems to be some hubub on the forums about the road cars' tires being "worse" than the oval ones.

I think this is a first for me. I just spent the evening practicing in the Falcon with Shane van Gisbergen, the actual Ford V8 Supercar driver. Pretty cool. Naturally, he has about 3.5 seconds on me.

Yeah, I've been in a lot of practice sessions with him. And he is almighty quick. Although he does seem to cut corners a bit so that is some of his time there, but he is still insanely quick. He was 2 seconds over me at Okyama. And about 1.5 at Phillip island last time I ran against him. He is very quick. But you'd have to imagine he has got amazing hardware and also knowledge on the V8 supercar too. Good bloke too.

Also good to see on the official V8 supercar sites iRacing on the front page. Hopefully it means a Holden will be coming along with Bathurst! We can dream right?

Last edited:
Has anyone done a decent number of miles on both ovals and road courses with the new tire model? I'd like to hear opinions about it. There seems to be some hubub on the forums about the road cars' tires being "worse" than the oval ones.

I race ovals more than I do road (love road racing though). I can say that the NTM is more suited for oval racing. Before it was like a formula D competition on every oval track. Now you really have to wheel the car. You need to use the brakes, really need to slow down and turn ALOT to get around the corner, which if you watch real life on-boards thats how they have to be driven. When you do slide a little you can save it relatively easy now but it will punish you for the next few laps. You will be sliding all over the place. However there is just something that seems awkward about it. I can't put my finger on it but something just seems strange. It kind of wabbles on the straights and sometimes will suddenly snap on you for no reason mid corner. It's a very good improvement though. I think it just needs some tweaking and it will be just right.

I didn't think the old tire model really fit the road cars, although I do get the impression that the NTM was written mostly for the oval cars. The road tires just seemed to have way to much slide tolerance in them. Especially with the Solstice. I've driven a few cars with race rubber and they just don't feel anything like any of the road cars in the sim.

I still do find it hilarious when people talk about how the NTM isn't realistic on the NASCAR vehicle with a matter of factness. Most people have never really driven a NASCAR. You can say "it feels like it would be more realistic" or "the new tire does this where it used to do that", but some people are just flat out, "this isn't realistic and its deeply flawed because I can't do this in the car". It just makes me ggiggle.

Well I'm off to produce music records.... :)

Last edited:
iRacing is looking more pretty these days. Now I hope they improve the audio

edit: On second thought, and after watching this,

I think the sound is quite good.

Last edited:
It corners a hell of a lot slower than you think it will, so start braking considerably earlier and be more gentle with your inputs. If you just ease it up a little then, apart from the issues madcat has detailed, you'll find it quite a nice car to drive.

You were right. You gotta treat it with kid gloves. Driving the Ford GT is like hanging out with your mother-in-law. Big, heavy, you have to be gentle and deliberate with your inputs, cautious going around, and if you make the slightest errors it will snap back at you at light speed and make your life miserable.

That said, I can't race it. I'm not good enough yet. I really need to do a D class series and work my way up. I just think I need to do this. So its either the Skippy or the Grand Touring. I'm leaning toward the Grand Touring a little just because I just don't think the tire model is there yet for the road. I can't quite place my finger on it, but I just am hesitant. I want to work on my race craft and not have to learn a whole no model just yet. I like the Skippy and I love that, even this late in the evening, the practice sessions are hella full. I'm mostly not turning the wheel enough, but then I turn it more and spin. I can't quite hold it steady for a descent lap. I've done a few low 1:48's on Okayama (or Origami as I call it).

And now if only my PTRs would get here :) I wonder how the load cell will make a difference. I've read what people say, but I'm eager to see and experience it for myself.

iRacing is looking more pretty these days. Now I hope they improve the audio

edit: On second thought, and after watching this,

The sound from the interior of the cars is quite good all around, but the exterior sound (with the exception of the williams) is crap in my opinion. That is what they need to work on in terms of audio.

And I am now having loads of fun with the Falcon. More people really should drive it.

Last edited:
I was just in a qualify session with 35 cars, all classes in the LMS series. What a fucking joke.

I also lost synchronization with the server and an HPD drove through me. Then I BSOD'd.

:\

I was just in a qualify session with 35 cars, all classes in the LMS series. What a fucking joke.

I also lost synchronization with the server and an HPD drove through me. Then I BSOD'd.

:\

One good thing about Qual for me, is that I get thrown on an aussie server no matter what, and as I race outside of aussie prime time, I get a clean run nearly every time :D

Had my first official V8 race earlier. I knew I wasn't going to be competitive for the top spots (and unfortunately there aren't enough participants for multiple splits) so the plan was to take it easy. Started off well and smooth but then some way through the race I had a small run in with the wall, damaging the suspension some. It wasn't a big deal, but it slowed me up a bit, so I let people by when I knew they were better off then me. Then on the last lap I screw up T1. There was one car immediately behind me which I let go by, but then the front runners came up behind me real quick. I had no where to go, so I had to stay to the inside coming into T2. I slowed but the guy in 1st didn't seem prepared and taking the outside of T2 isn't very easy, so he locked up and went off into the grass. I feel pretty bad about that.

And MadCat, I was watching that LMS race you did earlier with the hilariously horrible start. Sucks real bad that an LMP checking up took out half the field, including you.