iRacing.com Motorsports Simulations

For V8 races, the big night has always been Monday night in aussie. So look on race planner for when that will be for you. It tends always split so it's always good racing. And it's tough! To hard for me. At least until NTM gets on it.

And MadCat, I was watching that LMS race you did earlier with the hilariously horrible start. Sucks real bad that an LMP checking up took out half the field, including you.

It was spectacularly bad. But that's sometimes what happens when slower GT's follow close behind more agile/better stopping LMPs. I admit my charger start didn't exactly help, but everyone else was going so slow!

So I thought I would do the SRF/Solstice series, then I decided to do the LMS series but didn't think I was good enough, so I decided to do the Skippy series but the new tire model and the twitchy car didn't sit with me, so I'd do the Grand Touring Series in the MX5.

Well I've done my first official race of the season... in the Mustang series :) lol
Podium my first time out.http://members.iracing.com/membersite/member/EventResult.do?&subsessionid=3896009&custid=46734

I just like the car. It got me the mix of speed and fun that I was looking for. I like the power on oversteer if I need to tighten up my line. I like the fact that its friggin huge so you really have to focus on where you are placing the car. I also like that I can bump a berm and not spin or ruin a lap. As much as I like multi-class, I think being in a one-make series will help my race craft more than a multi-class. Also since I've been doing the SRF, I've never worried about gas (except the 3 or 4 non-SRF races Ive done), so I like that extra bit of challenge as well as the challenge of saving the tires so they aren't garbage by the last lap.

Had a blast though :)

Last edited:
I should probably try to drive the Mustang more. I've put time into it, but I'm never very thrilled with it. Perhaps with so much time in the V8 now, I would get along with it better (and I don't think i can depend on the V8 for all my racing needs), but driving it well never really was the problem. Ideally I'd be driving the Star Mazda again next week (I wasn't this week because I don't have Road America) but I just can't get over the crazy slip angles you need to be fast in that car.

I look back on the season I spent in the Mustang fondly. It's a great car with a very distinct flavor.

Just look out for one thing: people will tell you it's not a setup car, and that the baseline is more than enough to get a world record. It's bullshit. Make a unique setup for every track that matches your driving. The MX5 you can pretty much set and forget. The Mustang is a lot more temperamental than that.

I look back on the season I spent in the Mustang fondly. It's a great car with a very distinct flavor.

Just look out for one thing: people will tell you it's not a setup car, and that the baseline is more than enough to get a world record. It's bullshit. Make a unique setup for every track that matches your driving. The MX5 you can pretty much set and forget. The Mustang is a lot more temperamental than that.

yeah I guessed that. Its more complex than the SRF to set up, so I'll mostly be downloading setups off of the forum for the first couple of weeks till I get a hang of driving the car. Then I'll start messing with its setup myself.

Oh. There is another hosted Enduro tomorrow (or today depending on where you are). Its at 9am PST, or... here are the specs.
3 classes: MX5 Roadster, Jetta, Mustang
Track: Spa
Schedule:
16:00GMT 09:00PDT 12:00EDT Practice 120 Min
18:00GMT 11:00PDT 14:00EDT Qualify 30 Min
18:30GMT 11:30PDT 14:30EDT Race 90 Min ( TestRace + Pitstop Required )

Registering Closes Saturday 06 August 15.00 GMT (8AM PST).

Its a blast. Forums post: http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/1494305.page

clip from the end of a truck race i won a few weeks ago, dunno how i managed to not wreck and at the same time pull away cause this sucker was way looooose

clip from the end of a truck race i won a few weeks ago, dunno how i managed to not wreck and at the same time pull away cause this sucker was way looooose

Shouldn't have ticked the "Goose Snot" option when you ordered those tires.

I saw Days of Thunder once, so I feel qualified to chime in. Loose is fast and on the edge of out of control.

Do remember to scale it with the horsepower though. An 800 horsepower stock car ain't gonna be as loose as a Miata. More power = needs more understeer to put that power on the road!

For instance I run the Ford GT pretty damn tight, but ya wouldn't think it the way it puts the power down, and with a good shock package it will still turn if you load the front. MX-5 or Skippy? Loose as fucked 500 times, so that you just breathe on the brake to get it to turn in. Tricky, but it's all about the power baby.

I think I'm taking this week off from racing. The V8 series is at Infeon, which I don't have, and Mazda is at Okayama. I spent some time on the Mazda, but it just wasn't feeling very fun. In lieu of that, I'll likely be driving at Watkins Glenn most of the week, splitting my time preparing for the V8 there next week and testing out the LMS cars. I just spent time on the Ford GT, and I have to say, aside from some odd grip issues at low speeds under braking (might be able to sort that out for myself with bias adjustments), it feels great to drive. People are complaining about lack of feedback through the wheel, but mine is working just fine. Through the esses the grip feels massive at the exit, but I can feel it faltering going over the crest through the left hander, and then come back again onto the back straight. I'm looking forward to being able to drive it with other people.

I expect to get my B license this week or next. I've completed the MPR thanks to the V8 last week, now I just need to work my SR up (currently at 3.52). I'm not sure I'd yet be fit to actually race LMS, but I'll try out the practice sessions once I've become more comfortable with the cars.

I got to thinking about how much a car like a Porsche GT3 Cup could fit into the series ladder. I think it would great from a single class C series and a B class MC series. C class is a bit lacking for Road atm in my opinion (either the desperately needing NTM Mazda, the homicidal V8, or the nobody drives me Radical) so another car would be nice. Too bad on EA's exclusive license. Maybe a BTCC or DTM car would work as well.

Last edited:
Grand Am Mazda RX-8. It's really a no-brainer. It fits with the DP and it's a good intermediate car between the Mustang and V8/ Ford GT. DP really needs an appropriate car to run with.

I didn't realize it at the time but If i had run 3 more races just at the end of last season and kept my sr above 3.0 i would have gone to A class on the oval side without hitting 4.0...kinda kicking myself now lol

Just finished my first open wheel race, Skip barber at Road atlanta and got my first podium (2nd place from third on the grid). After 2 DNF's i was prepared to let everyone by me and just collect some safety rating, but some slow and steady racing (or fast and steady) had me climbing the ladder as others made mistakes.

Racing noob queries:

Its amazing how much a formula car changes over the course of a 40 minute drive, the car starts out with a little understeer, is neutral for a time, and than starts to oversteer, first on right-handed corners, and than everywhere. Tire temps were something like 20 or 30 degrees hotter in the rear than in the front, which i assumed would create an understeer situation, but not so. In the last 4 or 5 laps it seemed like the rear had no grip at all and was locking up in braking zones before the front, is this normal? My kingdom for a non-spec-brake proportion.

Last edited:
Which car are we talking about? The Skippy?

The Skip Barber should never overheat tires. It's too light to overwhelm the BFG's which are built for long life with a hard compound.

It is normal for worn out rear tires to lock up first. But it isn't desirable. Something's up with your setup. It's chewing the rears.