Iran Offers Cash To U.S. Tourists

teletubby-warrior

Da Superfan
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/11/01/iran.tourism.ap/index.html

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) -- Iran will offer cash incentives to travel agencies to encourage Western tourists to visit the country, giving a premium for Americans, the official Islamic Republic News Agency reported.

The Islamic republic's political leadership has been trying to reach out to ordinary Americans to show that a standoff over Iran's nuclear ambitions is with the Bush administration -- not U.S. citizens.

The latest initiative comes as the United Nations Security Council deliberates a draft resolution that would impose sanctions on Iran for its disputed nuclear program.

"Iran's tourism department will pay $20 per person to those who attract European or American tourists to the country," the agency on Tuesday quoted Mohammed Sharif Malakzadeh, deputy head of the department, as saying.

Visitors from other countries would earn travel agents $10 per tourist, Malakzadeh said.

Last week, Iran's fiercely anti-U.S. President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad expressed opposition to a bill that would require Americans to be fingerprinted on arrival in Iran.

The bill, which passed a preliminary reading in the Iranian parliament earlier this month, was drafted by conservatives who sought to retaliate for U.S. requirements that Iranian visitors be fingerprinted. It has not been debated yet.

The U.S. measure, which also applies to nationals of some other countries, was implemented in 2002 in the wake of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on New York and Washington.

In an earlier attempt to reach out to Americans, Ahmadinejad in January proposed the resumption of direct commercial flights between Iran and the United States, which were halted more than 25 years ago.

The United States and Iran have not had diplomatic relations since Iranian militants stormed the American Embassy in Tehran in 1979.

The atmosphere between the two countries improved marginally under former President Mohammad Khatami, who encouraged sports and cultural exchanges, but it deteriorated after the Sept. 11 attacks, when President Bush declared that Iran belonged to an "axis of evil" with Iraq and North Korea.

Since taking office last year, Ahmadinejad has widened the gap with Washington by taking a hard-line position on Iran's nuclear program and calling for Israel's destruction.

Anyone interested in direct flights to and from Iran? I'll pass...
On the other hand, I could really use those $20! :think:

Heard about this on the radio. DJ said "I would rather strip down to my boxers, stand on the corner of 438 and 17 (two big roads in Orlando), holding a sign that says 'please give nickles', than to go to Iran for twenty bucks."

I'll wait until they open up a Club Med.

Last edited:
Hostages...jeez. Of course they're not. They might be crazy but they're not some lawless warzone. I bet if you go you'll get the "Look at how morally superior we are" tourguide but that's it.

A price I'd be willing to pay for an all expenses paid trip to Teheran.

Well, if it gets me away from Bush's control for a while...

I know I just doused myself in petrol for the impending flaming. I also most likely added myself to a countless number of government watchlists. But I just couldn't resist.:p

Last edited:
I heard Tehran is a pretty cool city actually, like Berlin except the "decadence " is hidden from the government.

Would I go, though? Nah. Too far.

Why the hell would I want to go to Iran? It's hot enough to melt tarmac at mid day! I don't even like the heat in Vegas.

Now Ireland... Ireland I could definitely do.

" and to the left is our wonderful new secret nuclear weapons research facility, which your arrogant infidel government thinks is a dairy. To the right we have....."

I wouldn't mind going to Iran. Sounds like fun...

Even though the father of a friend of mine who is a journalist who was there recently said he was tailed by the same car during his entire stay there..

So what.. Go ahead, kidnap me and start a war.

(I'm drunk, please excuse me.)

I wouldn't mind going to Iran. Sounds like fun...

Even though the father of a friend of mine who is a journalist who was there recently said he was tailed by the same car during his entire stay there..

So what.. Go ahead, kidnap me and start a war.

(I'm drunk, please excuse me.)

With Norway?

non sence, I don't think Iran is that stupid to capture hostages

I've been to Tehran and lived there for couple of years, it's not a bad place