Iranian Navy Anounced Plans to Send Warships to Patrol off US Coast

if they're near enough to the coast to be a threat, they'll be well within range of shore based aircraft, so no, it won't tie up a carrier.
Damn, forgot about that. Fine, a frigate or two.

What are they going to do? Shell Jacksonville with a 76mm cannon? Launch a few of those "Ambassador of Death" "cruise missiles" that looks like a hot rodded V-1? Perhaps they will deploy that brand new "Destroyer" of theirs that is looks more of a DE than DD. I've been following the Iranian military for a few years because every few months they put out hilarious press releases like this for internal consumption that make no sense to anyone else.

The best course of action, if they make it anywhere near the US is to tail them with a P-3 and if/when they break down/ flounder in a storm to helpfully tow them into Norfolk and have a cheer leader squad and several strippers waiting on the pier for them with plates of bacon.
Yeah, I suppose that's what they want to do.

All I'm saying is, they might very well be able to not just get boats out there, but to get them back as well.

The Coast Guard will be the only force doing extra work here.
Wouldn't be too sure, but who knows.

I'd call this sabre-rattling except it's nearer to being a pocket knife.

Also I just want to announce plans to a have a threesome with Angelina Jolie and Kate Winslet. Don't mean it's going to happen any time soon.

The Coast Guard will be the only force doing extra work here.

That would be a diplomatic win for the US and an embarrassment for Iran. "You're sending your navy? OK we'll send out our safety patrol."

Reactions: MWF