Is anyone getting sick of the 'MTV-style' filming for the car films?

I think the Alfa 8C is the anti-MTV style IMO.

Beautifully shot, tasteful, and we're able to see the car instead of a grainy blur.
I will admit the "reverse the paint dripping over the lens" shot was superfluous, but still, overall a very very good review

Beautifully shot, tasteful, and we're able to see the car instead of a grainy blur.
I will admit the "reverse the paint dripping over the lens" shot was superfluous, but still, overall a very very good review

I second that. I really enjoyed the Brooklands last week, but the 8C film from last night was one of the coolest and best shots of track filming they've done in a long time. The pseudo-bullet time effect with the car freezing, spinning round and then carrying on really got me, and I will enjoy watching it back on Sky Plus* for some time. :cool:

*As opposed to the budget package Sky Minus, which records the programmes you hate and plays them while you are out. :lol:

Actually I'm not getting bored with beautiful filming and a bit more action in the reviews.

Just compare it to this:

[YOUTUBE]http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=5ODyZd2owcA[/YOUTUBE]

See what I mean ?

It was half way. I didnt like the silly black and white and those drops/rainy bits that was "falling down the screen".

Also another thing that I dont think has been mentioned before, is the stupid, cartoon-style sound effects (lion, swoosh etc).

it doesnt bother me a bit.. i kinda enjoy it.

I was just watching the first few episodes of series 11, and thinking to myself "How do they do it? They just keep getting better and better!"

I watch Top Gear BECAUSE it looks different to every other automotive program. Keep up the good work, Top Gear!

The only thing starting to annoy me is the "all power sliding, all the time" nonsense. They never review cars on real roads anymore, because they can't legally power slide around every corner. Every time Clarkson races someone, he always power slides all over the place. But when the Stig does a hot lap, he almost never gets the tail out. It's all for show and it's starting to feel insulting. They compare cars or try to make points about the handling of a car, but they insist on power sliding, even though it's slower and has absolutely nothing to do with a car's handling. [/rant]

The only thing starting to annoy me is the "all power sliding, all the time" nonsense. They never review cars on real roads anymore, because they can't legally power slide around every corner. Every time Clarkson races someone, he always power slides all over the place. But when the Stig does a hot lap, he almost never gets the tail out. It's all for show and it's starting to feel insulting. They compare cars or try to make points about the handling of a car, but they insist on power sliding, even though it's slower and has absolutely nothing to do with a car's handling. [/rant]
I'd have to agree with you on that one.

There was a time I couldn't get enough of seeing lunacy on the test track, with all that tyre smoke and shouting. But now I have grown bored of it and tend to prefer Jezza's good 'ol fashion road reviews.

Jezza rarely takes cars out onto the road. And when he does - it tends to be pretty epic. A good mixture of humour, great camera work and scripting. Eg; CLK Black, BMW M5.

Now many road reviews are silly challanges - Alfa 159, Cayenne, Renault Cliom Peugeot 207 etc...

I would like to see more road reviews. Just the change in environment is enough for me :)

Last edited:
Reactions: TC
I dunno. Sometimes it works, sometimes it just bugs the everloving crap out of me. Maybe they (whoever 'they' are) should of just left the reviews as is.

Last edited:
No, doesn't bother me at all. I like it

I'd have to agree with you on that one.

I would like to see more road reviews. Just the change in environment is enough for me :)

I greatly miss their older style, garden-variety road reviews. What happened to reviewing ordinary cars directed towards ordinary ppl
like us?

No, it doesn't bother me. The cinematography of TG is one of its defining features (after the relationship between the hosts). I think it's testament to the dedication of the editors that it's so carefully "crafted". Having seen the dull looking raw footage from the out-takes it's all the more obvious how much this contributes to the show's feel.

Actually, powersliding does have one useful purpose. When faced with nose-heavy understeer, you can compensate with powerslide-induced oversteer. But yeah other than that it's useless.

Actually, powersliding does have one useful purpose. When faced with nose-heavy understeer, you can compensate with powerslide-induced oversteer. But yeah other than that it's useless.

You misunderstand what he's saying, he's referring to how useless demonstrations of powersliding is to either regular consumers/road drivers on risky roads and how its useless towards proper track driving because its often not the fastest way around a corner.

At least the Fifth Gear track reviews balance out their track test reviews of cars with 1 part tail-happy sliding around and 1 part proper timed track driving and gives a nice thorough analysis of driving the car in either condition.

I just want to give credit where credit's due.

11x05 was a terrific throwback to Top Gear of old. I didn't notice any 'overediting' and I also thought the music was back to form.

:cheers: